Home

College Football Off Topic

This is a discussion on College Football Off Topic within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 08-03-2023, 06:58 PM   #9233
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
College Football Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rushing
The GOR is technically with ESPN, not the ACC. ESPN can play its hand to get FSU in the SEC and shed the bad contract if they want.
ESPN’s deal with the ACC and its member schools is, from their perspective, the sweetest sports broadcast rights contract in the country. Why in the world would the mothership let FSU alone (or FSU and Clemson) move to the SEC and nuke the value the ACC television product they are still on the hook for paying for, especially if they are cash-strapped as you say? Why would ESPN allow FSU out of the GOR agreement to go play games broadcast on its competitor FOX Sports in the Big Ten?

FSU has been raising a stink about getting out of the ACC for years. FSU has a top 100 law school, so I have to also assume they either produce or hire good lawyers. If their attorneys had actually found any way out of GOR that wasn’t legally insurmountable, the Noles (and probably the rest of the so-called magnificent seven as well) would be long gone by now. Right now I just see a program with an inflated sense of self importance big mad on main that they can’t do anything about their current plight.

I do not doubt FSU eventually leaves the ACC, I do not doubt that they get a cozy landing spot, and I do not doubt that the ACC’s ill fate is already decided. But if anything happens in the next, I dunno, five years? I would be quite surprised. If anything happens short-term, it will be an uneven revenue split within the ACC, but I doubt the other programs go for that given that that obviously won’t save the conference either.

And honestly, I would be thrilled to be wrong. I’d just as well the looming axe fall, the ACC die tomorrow, and let FSU go on their way just as they want. I’d rather Virginia know its athletics fate sooner than later, given they quite obviously are not driving the bus in any of this realignment mess. But unfortunately I don’t see any way that said axe isn’t going to hang for a while longer yet.
Old 08-03-2023, 07:17 PM   #9234
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: College Football Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rushing
There are 2 teams left in a conference that will increase value for the B1G or SEC and it is FSU and Clemson. ND also but who knows what they do.

The PAC-12 teams, even Oregon, provide $0 value. It will actually hurt the value of the B1G to take them. The B1G is offering a partial payout to them but it is still more than the terrible PAC-12 deal.

I don't know what you aren't seeing. The ACC and PAC-12 are done. If you want to compete in college football, you have to leave asap. Any team staying in the ACC will be at a minimum $30 million in the hole per year and most likely closer to $50. I don't care how much you like the ACC conference, no school is staying that has an option to get out. Just look at how quickly the PAC-12 is dying.

Once the 1st ACC team announces, the rest that want to compete will also announce.

The GOR is meaningless if you can pay it back with all the additional revenue. You also won't have to pay it if the ACC doesn't exist.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
You're point about Washington and Oregon simply isn't true. We both know that these conferences aren't basing anything solely off year to year viewership numbers. Those schools pretty much have the dominant college foothold in two of the top 25 television markets in the US. And when you add that you can get them for cents on the dollar at this point, they definitely make sense. Like the SEC, it just depends if the Big 10 would want to do it.

As far as the ACC goes, it may be dying...but it's going to die first before anybody is going to jump ship.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 08-03-2023, 08:21 PM   #9235
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
You're point about Washington and Oregon simply isn't true. We both know that these conferences aren't basing anything solely off year to year viewership numbers. Those schools pretty much have the dominant college foothold in two of the top 25 television markets in the US. And when you add that you can get them for cents on the dollar at this point, they definitely make sense. Like the SEC, it just depends if the Big 10 would want to do it.

As far as the ACC goes, it may be dying...but it's going to die first before anybody is going to jump ship.
Oregon has the largest tv ratings left in the PAC-12 but its only 2 million and that was heavily influenced by 2 games over 4 million.

TV markets mean nothing now. This isn't network tv where you only get the local station and game on the 2 or 3 channels. TV viewers count more because you can stream, satellite, or use cable from anywhere. Viewers matter and the market size doesn't.

You may not like it but the NW is not a football hotbed. Oregon is a wash at best to the B1G TV contract. They'll add to the total but they don't increase the shares and it's why they are rumored to be getting a partial share.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2023, 08:46 PM   #9236
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

'Sources: Arizona is in deep discussions with the Big 12 about joining the league. Some finality is expected in the near future, as there’s an Arizona Board of Regents meeting scheduled for later tonight."

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/statu...cFjfpUSnw&s=19

The question is if ASU joins along. Since ASU and AU has the same BOR, I doubt they want to split them up
Old 08-03-2023, 09:55 PM   #9237
Keep the Faith

TripleCrown9's Arena

OVR: 28

The Big 12 approved the move today. The only "hurdle" left is the Board of Regents.
Old 08-03-2023, 10:10 PM   #9238
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleCrown9
The Big 12 approved the move today. The only "hurdle" left is the Board of Regents.
Which the meeting is going on now. So, we should know within the next 12 hours. Since Zona and ASU have the same BOR, we should hear about ASU at the same time.

"Big Ten’s offer to Washington & Oregon is expected to be $35-40 million annually per team - a figure that, with the additional cross-country travel, could create some hesitancy, sources tell @YahooSports.

However, exits from the Four Corner schools could sway UW and UO to leave."

That would still be significantly more than Pac-12 and more than they would get from Big 12. But, I get not wanting to feel like Ohio State and Michigan has more of a competitive advantage bringing in up to $20M more in TV money than you and having to travel cross country to face teams like Rutgers and Maryland

Last edited by illwill10; 08-03-2023 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-04-2023, 09:44 AM   #9239
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

"BREAKING: Oregon and Washington's exit from the Pac-12 to the Big Ten appears to have lost momentum overnight, multiple sources tell @TheAthletic:"
"Multiples sources tell @DanWetzel and me that the tides are turning: The Pac-12 meeting this morning to sign a Grant of Rights, which @YahooSports reported last night, remains on schedule & expectation is all presidents will show.

The Pac-12’s survival is contingent on keeping intact at least 8 of the current 9 members.

A loss of 2 more schools - either Arizona/ASU to Big 12 OR Oregon/Washington to Big Ten - is seen as a likely recipe for collapse. As P12 leaders enter their meeting, neither has happened."

It's not a great deal, but would like Pac-12 to survive. They could easily survive without Colorado and Arizona. If it's just Arizona following Colorado, I could see Pac-12, looking to add two MWC teams like SMU and SDSU.
Old 08-04-2023, 09:53 AM   #9240
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

All of a sudden everyone is tweeting that the pac 12 presidents are meeting this morning and the conference may survive after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »