Home

College Football Off Topic

This is a discussion on College Football Off Topic within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 08-04-2023, 10:08 PM   #9265
Keep the Faith

TripleCrown9's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: College Football Off Topic

It's just so weird to see as a reality

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2023, 11:27 PM   #9266
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
Exactly lol. This is all about money, then those same people get mad when it comes to NIL and players transferring lol. Not once did you hear about this benefitting fans or players, money talks lol
Unfortunately college football is changing and teams are trying to ensure they survive and are relevant by the time the final format of a super conference or something similar is reached.

The only conferences will be B1G and SEC, Big12 may or may not get 1 team into the post-season as a non-power team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
ACC is gonna have to do something.
Hopefully the same thing that happened to the PAC-12. I'll be shocked if the SEC doesn't make a move.

ND, Clemson, UM, and FSU know they can't wait around and find themselves stuck in the ACC, losing money, and causing them to miss out on the final end state of changes. The biggest issue right now is there aren't landing spots for most of the teams in the ACC, so they will try to cling to the carcass as long as possible.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2023, 11:50 PM   #9267
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

OVR: 19

We'll see what happens, but I think the SEC is pretty happy with where it's at at the moment.

TV money is driving this round of expansion. The SEC has its deal with ESPN, but ESPN is no longer printing money. The SEC isn't going to add more teams unless it makes financial sense. ESPN is reluctant to pay more for an extra conference game; I'm not sure it's going to pay more to add a couple of ACC schools - especially since ESPN already has the ACC TV deal.

Maybe the Big 10 makes a play to add FSU and Miami so it can get its hooks in SEC territory. Maybe the Big 12 tries to get a marquee school from the ACC. Of course, it's still not going to be easy for an ACC school to leave without the conference imploding. Right now, I don't see that happening.
Old 08-05-2023, 12:27 AM   #9268
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Exactly lol. This is all about money, then those same people get mad when it comes to NIL and players transferring lol. Not once did you hear about this benefitting fans or players, money talks lol
It really is galling to see the same people who kill student athletes for chasing the dollar, literally advocate for schools to break legal binding deals to do the same. I always knew it was a farce. But still.

On one hand I do hate what is happening to College Football, but I saw it a decade or so ago with College Basketball when the Big East died for football TV money. I'm just ready to get to whatever the end state is now.

I think now would be a good time to reacess the Bowl games. So many regional rivalries are gonna be lost. The non playoff bowl games could be a chance to maybe keep some of them alive.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
Old 08-05-2023, 01:26 AM   #9269
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Oregon State, Washington State, California, and Stanford.

OSU and WSU are the ones who are affected negatively. There are talks about Stanford possibly going independent because they don't want to go to MWC or Big 12. Cal has been bad in both Football and Basketball for a long time and they are in major debt. Oregon State are a team on the come up to be dropped down to the MWC.
Might be a blessing in disguise for those teams though. I think Washington St and Oregon St would do well in the MWC especially with the expanded playoff. Plus Boise St, Fresno St, SDSU, UNLV could be some fun rivals for them. Stanford going Independent in football makes sense because any conference would love to host their other sports. Not sure what Cal's situation is.

Oregon and Washington made too much sense for the Big Ten at that price. FOX had to have played a role here and I think it kind of foreshadows the ACC situation.

Nothing is going to happen to the ACC until the ESPN situation gets figured out. And even then, I think the SEC is going to drive the bus. I wouldn't be surprised if the SEC takes the Tobacco Road schools out of spite. I don't think any of the ACC schools does that much for them so they might as well take Tobacco Road, Clemson, GT, and maybe UVA or the Florida schools as a feather in the cap.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 08-05-2023, 10:23 AM   #9270
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

In a way, you feel bad for Oregon State and Washington State. Mainly because they have Athletic Departments that were built around having P5 money. Especially with Oregon State currently renovating their football stadium for like $150M

But the PAC-12 did themselves with bad leadership and arrogance. They had to chance to merge with Big 12 when they lost Oklahoma and Texas. Somehow thought they should get 75% of what Big 10 got, then allowed Big 12 to cut the line and get the last big TV deal available. Wanting to own 100% of the Pac-12 network, but not being able to distribute it to other TV networks to broadcast. These late 10:30pm EST kickoffs. Like I said before, PAC 12 will likely have the best overall QB conference in a long time, but most of us won't be able to access those games.

It did work out for San Diego State. Imagine having to pay the $17M exit fee leave the MWC, then all this chaos happens, then have to crawl back to the MWC likely having to pay to get back in lol

Last edited by illwill10; 08-05-2023 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-05-2023, 03:23 PM   #9271
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

ASU Crow: "We were offered a media contract by the Apple corporation, which was a technological 23rd century Star Trek-thing with really unbelievable capability that ASU was very interested in."

You can tell this is a situation where hands were forced. ASU and Utah didn't want to leave the PAC-12, but pretty much had to escape the sinking ship.

Looking forward to seeing the BYU-Utah rivalry. "And the other one" lol

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2023, 07:29 PM   #9272
Everyday is Faceurary!

dickey1331's Arena

The Big 12 is such a hodgepodge of members now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
NFL: Dallas Cowboys
NHL: Dallas Stars
NBA: Dallas Mavericks

I own a band check it out

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »