Home

College Football Off Topic

This is a discussion on College Football Off Topic within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 08-03-2023, 01:27 PM   #9225
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: College Football Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
Your point is proving his point. None of this is about competition, it's purely about getting the most $$.

Schools are profiting from athletes while several athletes still get barely anything from NIL. Let's also not forget about rushing tuition costs while these schools continue to bank.

America at it's finest, people.
I agree but don't pretend you can compete if you are $30 or more in the hole each year. There is no way to compete. There is no way to pay NIL. There is no way to do anything but die a slow death.

For most teams, they have no options other than to take what happens. FSU has options though and sorry for the state of college football and all the teams being left behind.

Football is done as is and will move to 2 main conferences and 1 other smaller one with schools that like football but don't have money to compete.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2023, 02:45 PM   #9226
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

"Apple's primary media rights deal w/Pac-12 expires at end of week, sources told @ActionNetworkHQ. Proposal is in "low $20 million" figure per school/annually, but can fluctuate/increase based on membership size & subscription incentives, sources said"

Apple is pretty much saying take it or leave it lol. Yeah, this looks like the PAC 12 dissolving.
Old 08-03-2023, 02:46 PM   #9227
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rushing
FSU is done with the ACC, it's just a matter of when. Even unequal shares won't give FSU, Clemson, and UM close to what the SEC and B1G are getting. UNC and the rest of the old ACC are all fine staying put because they make tons of money from it. No one watches them and they are worthless.

Right now with unequal shares, FSU should be over $60 million and Clemson right there. That amount could be +$20 million behind with the upcoming TV deals.

Look at this, only 5 of the 14 teams are contributing to the ACC value, the other 9 teams are all blood sucking ticks that need to get burned off and die.

ACC distributed $36.1m per school on average in 2022.If based on viewership?1. FSU $61.6m2. CU $59.9m3. UM $39.6m4. UL $39.2m5. VT $37.3m6. SYR $34.2m7. GT $33m8. UVA $ 32.6m9. Pitt $32m10. NCSU $32m11. UNC $30.5m12. BC $29m13. WF $24.5m14. DU $19.8m https://t.co/mvKF71aY7U— not this guy again (@ricobert11) February 24, 2023

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk
Where exactly is FSU going to go though?

From my understanding, no one actually knows if FSU (or any other school) can even leave the ACC. So whatever conference tries to take an ACC school will have deal with that.

Then the revenue still has to get split when said ACC team gets in conference. FSU may be worth it but they'll likely have to bring a school with them. What other school is worth it and willing to join. ND is a dream and if they do come, ND is going to choose the school that tags along. Clemson?...they seem pretty loyal to the ACC and may not deem it worth it. Miami? Perhaps, but do they carry enough value for the conference?

The B1G is just probably better off taking the best of PAC 12 school's still left and being done with it. They'll add some value and align geographically with USC/UCLA. And if the SEC was gung ho about FSU then I think it would've happened by now.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 08-03-2023, 03:37 PM   #9228
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
Where exactly is FSU going to go though?

From my understanding, no one actually knows if FSU (or any other school) can even leave the ACC. So whatever conference tries to take an ACC school will have deal with that.

Then the revenue still has to get split when said ACC team gets in conference. FSU may be worth it but they'll likely have to bring a school with them. What other school is worth it and willing to join. ND is a dream and if they do come, ND is going to choose the school that tags along. Clemson?...they seem pretty loyal to the ACC and may not deem it worth it. Miami? Perhaps, but do they carry enough value for the conference?

The B1G is just probably better off taking the best of PAC 12 school's still left and being done with it. They'll add some value and align geographically with USC/UCLA. And if the SEC was gung ho about FSU then I think it would've happened by now.
There are 2 teams left in a conference that will increase value for the B1G or SEC and it is FSU and Clemson. ND also but who knows what they do.

The PAC-12 teams, even Oregon, provide $0 value. It will actually hurt the value of the B1G to take them. The B1G is offering a partial payout to them but it is still more than the terrible PAC-12 deal.

I don't know what you aren't seeing. The ACC and PAC-12 are done. If you want to compete in college football, you have to leave asap. Any team staying in the ACC will be at a minimum $30 million in the hole per year and most likely closer to $50. I don't care how much you like the ACC conference, no school is staying that has an option to get out. Just look at how quickly the PAC-12 is dying.

Once the 1st ACC team announces, the rest that want to compete will also announce.

The GOR is meaningless if you can pay it back with all the additional revenue. You also won't have to pay it if the ACC doesn't exist.

Old 08-03-2023, 03:44 PM   #9229
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rushing
The GOR is meaningless if you can pay it back with all the additional revenue. You also won't have to pay it if the ACC doesn't exist.
The Grant of Rights is not meaningless, rather it is the one reason Florida State is still in the ACC.

That document gives the conference the broadcast rights to all of the Seminoles' football and basketball games until it expires in 2036. Speaking to contract law, FSU can't leave because their IP is legally not available for sale to a different party. The hot air they are blowing in the media is just that, hot air. They're stuck.

It's going to take several teams leaving the ACC at the same time to nuke the conference and render the GOR null to get FSU out. I am with you that the sooner that happens, the better for the teams which get safe landing spots.
Old 08-03-2023, 04:10 PM   #9230
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

College sports and especially college football has always been the haves vs have nots. Obviously money is a huge advantage and the gap is growing between the 2 main conferences and the rest. But i don’t know if competitive balance gets any worse than it has been any time soon. The expanded playoff should help. The sec and big 10 are going to beat each other up, they can’t all win. There’s an easier path to the playoff through the big 12 and Acc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2023, 04:19 PM   #9231
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
The Grant of Rights is not meaningless, rather it is the one reason Florida State is still in the ACC.

That document gives the conference the broadcast rights to all of the Seminoles' football and basketball games until it expires in 2036. Speaking to contract law, FSU can't leave because their IP is legally not available for sale to a different party. The hot air they are blowing in the media is just that, hot air. They're stuck.

It's going to take several teams leaving the ACC at the same time to nuke the conference and render the GOR null to get FSU out. I am with you that the sooner that happens, the better for the teams which get safe landing spots.
Schools announce they are leaving, conference and schools go to court, then other schools leave the conference, then the conference folds. Does the conference want a long multiple year lawsuit with no funds or employees to fight? Do they want to just take whatever they agree to so they actually get something?

The Big 12 has a GOR and they took a payout, the other ACC teams will do the same.

Previously the GOR has kept FSU in the ACC. With the difference in the conference payouts, it won't anymore. FSU knows it can't survive and stay in the ACC.

I expect FSU to announce by 8/15 that they are leaving. Clemson will then need to also do that or they are losing a ton of money and risking being left out. If those 2 announce, the ACC folds as ESPN will void the contract. ESPN also has money issues and the word is they couldn't pay the SEC for the additional game. Them losing the ACC and then adding some of that to the SEC deal if 1 or both end up in the SEC.

The GOR is technically with ESPN, not the ACC. ESPN can play its hand to get FSU in the SEC and shed the bad contract if they want.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2023, 04:54 PM   #9232
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets
College sports and especially college football has always been the haves vs have nots. Obviously money is a huge advantage and the gap is growing between the 2 main conferences and the rest. But i don’t know if competitive balance gets any worse than it has been any time soon. The expanded playoff should help. The sec and big 10 are going to beat each other up, they can’t all win. There’s an easier path to the playoff through the big 12 and Acc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. Maryland and Rutgers making $30M+ more from the TV deal isn't going to be more advantageous than a team in the ACC or Pac-12.

I get that Oregon and Washington wants to be in the Big 10. But, being in the Big 12 wouldn't be a bad thing for them. Big 10 would want them to accept reduced shares. So, most likely they make roughly around the same amount as the Big 12 schools are making. So money aside, it becomes do they want to apart of the cool kids club or have am easier path to the Playoffs. If Oregon and Wash go to Big 12, they're immediately the top 2 teams and brands of the conference. They're competing with Kansas State, TCU as the best two schools of the conference. Both of the deals roughly end around the same time. So if the money is almost equal for the duration of the deal, I wouldn't feel like I'm too good for the Big 12 if I'm Oregon or Washington. They would have the chance to dominate the conference, then move on when the Deal is up. If they're in the Big 10, they'll have to compete with Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin(should be better with Fickell), USC, and UCLA every year to get to the playoffs. Whereas in the Big 12, you're the top dog until another team comes along.

Last edited by illwill10; 08-03-2023 at 05:26 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »