Home

Super Mega Baseball 4 Impressions Thread (All Platforms)

This is a discussion on Super Mega Baseball 4 Impressions Thread (All Platforms) within the Super Mega Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Super Mega Baseball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 06-01-2023, 02:14 PM   #25
Pro

torpidbeaver's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Super Mega Baseball 4 Impressions Thread (All Platforms)

I’m pretty disappointed. Draft mode is cool but you use it once and never see it again. The small franchise additions are nice but they’re kind of small potatoes.

Gameplay is still solid, so that’s mostly good, but also feels like a missed opportunity. Add something maybe, like… I dunno. Make stealing bases more interactive, skill based. Or improve fielding. Stretching here though, gameplay is still very good, few complaints other than wondering what could’ve improved.

The legends are a big zero to me. This was never a game about MLB for me, so adding a half hearted dose of reality is not only a half measure in a franchise that’s all about being over the top, it misses the thrust of the game. If they were going to add players from other sources, it should’ve been characters like Kenny Powers and Willie Mays Hayes.

Least of all “additions” was the “influencers” roster, and add as many eye rolls as you can to those air quotes. **** off with numbnuts from YouTube and Jomboy talking about warehouse games and that bull****. Self felating idiocy somehow breeds a small empire of polo shirted forever high schoolers to invade mah video gamez. Hard pass.

My inner hard core cynic whispers that adding these characters is all in service of a long term plot to add a Live Service Card Mode to the game.

Anyway, I thought the EA money was supposed to allow a lot more in the way of budget and scope. Seems like all it did was turn a game that had made huge leaps from one version to the next into another incrementally “improved” yearly franchises, and gave some small money to former MLB players and YouRube personalities.

For now, I’m glad I didn’t pay for it, will wait for it to come out on Gamepass for good in a few months.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2023, 04:04 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 3

I don't understand the YouTube influencers in game either. I guess if that resonates with the target market and helps sell games then okay. The only gripe I have about that is in looking at couple YouTube videos today, these influencer character models are 100% better than most of the Legend models. I don't know most of these YouTube people but upon quick gameplay searches, the YouTube in game players bear a much better resemblance to their real life person than Cecil Cooper, Hank Aaron, Ryan Braun, etc.

I totally understand some not liking legends in this sort of game. I am one that actually WOULD really like that aspect if not done so poorly. No resemblance, no unique pitching styles or batting stances, announcer mispronouncing Legend names, etc. Seems like such a lackadaisical effort with the Legends. Yet the YouTube personalities seem to get really good player models. Just odd. I feel like they really missed the mark with Legends. And they have some look good like Ortiz and Babe so they can do it. They just didn't for the majority.
Old 06-01-2023, 04:39 PM   #27
Pro

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrew101
I don't understand the YouTube influencers in game either. I guess if that resonates with the target market and helps sell games then okay. The only gripe I have about that is in looking at couple YouTube videos today, these influencer character models are 100% better than most of the Legend models. I don't know most of these YouTube people but upon quick gameplay searches, the YouTube in game players bear a much better resemblance to their real life person than Cecil Cooper, Hank Aaron, Ryan Braun, etc.

I totally understand some not liking legends in this sort of game. I am one that actually WOULD really like that aspect if not done so poorly. No resemblance, no unique pitching styles or batting stances, announcer mispronouncing Legend names, etc. Seems like such a lackadaisical effort with the Legends. Yet the YouTube personalities seem to get really good player models. Just odd. I feel like they really missed the mark with Legends. And they have some look good like Ortiz and Babe so they can do it. They just didn't for the majority.

I’d be willing to bet the streamers and personality types get added attention because they ultimately help promote the game and push sales. It does feel odd though playing with a specific legend and they look nothing like themselves. I largely only use the base teams/rosters anyway so for me it’s a non issue. I’ve enjoyed my time with the game, I do wish the menus didn’t feel so clunky though. It’s hard to suggest what they could do different when there is so much they already do well and continuously put out a great on field product that is both fun and easy for anyone to pickup and enjoy regardless age/skill.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:47 PM   #28
MVP

lowpaiddonkey10's Arena

OVR: 0

Playing the game with the EA Play trial. If I didn't already have 1 2 and 3 I would buy this when it goes on sale cheap. Not different enough to warrant a buy for me. Not bad just the same old same old.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:55 PM   #29
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpaiddonkey10
Playing the game with the EA Play trial. If I didn't already have 1 2 and 3 I would buy this when it goes on sale cheap. Not different enough to warrant a buy for me. Not bad just the same old same old.
After playing that one game I may feel the same, but it depends on how much I can customize players (visually and with traits), how different the AI is, and how much deeper franchise mode may be. Since I was still only 16 games into my first season last time out, I suppose a reset is fine.

The MLB players don't help or hurt necessarily, but I might have them in my franchise knowing they just all play together on the same teams rather than being sprinkled throughout different teams. At least I will have some sort of "scouting report" on them when I play them. Maybe I'll add some players myself because of it.

Playing back parts of my video though, man those sound effects are whack. I didn't have my headphones on to hear them, but they are really going the arcade route with that portion for sure!

I kept mentioning on there that I don't like that camera angle when first hit in the infield. That'll take some getting used to.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 06-01-2023, 11:01 PM   #30
MVP

lowpaiddonkey10's Arena

Same cartoony baseball game since it was introduced. No custom cameras for hitting fielding or pitching still. Cartoon characters with real names that look nothing like their real life counterparts. The Show might be getting stale but I prefer that type of game. No sale.
Old 06-02-2023, 12:05 AM   #31
Game Dev

TheBleedingRed21's Arena

OVR: 21

If you are looking for a game like The Show in a game like this, you are just going to always be upset with it. I much prefer this over The Show to be honest. They're just different style of games completely.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2023, 12:27 AM   #32
MVP

lowpaiddonkey10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBleedingRed21
If you are looking for a game like The Show in a game like this, you are just going to always be upset with it. I much prefer this over The Show to be honest. They're just different style of games completely.
I don't mind the graphics but it is the same game again.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Super Mega Baseball »