Home

Super Mega Baseball 4 Impressions Thread (All Platforms)

This is a discussion on Super Mega Baseball 4 Impressions Thread (All Platforms) within the Super Mega Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Super Mega Baseball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 05-30-2023, 04:35 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Super Mega Baseball 4 Impressions Thread (All Platforms)

Don't have the game yet but in looking at videos, many of the Legends do not look anything like the real life player. Now, I fully understand that is a caricature of the player but they should at least have some resemblance. Some do such as Babe Ruth and Ortiz but many (most?) are nowhere near. It isn't much different than if someone just created the guy using the creator and made them. That is disappointing to me. I'd like to at least have the guy look a little like the player (similar to Ortiz and Ruth). Also the batting stances aren't even close-again, not expecting perfect realism in a game like this but was expecting a somewhat unique replica of stances--especially for unique guys like Cecil Cooper, Jeff Bagwell, Robin Yount, etc.

I was pretty excited for this game but trying to decide why I should get this instead of just playing Super Mega 3. Not seeing much new in watching a few Youtube videos. Someone sell me on this game so I can buy it! (I'm sure I will end up getting it tonight anyway as I'm weak and always buy new sports games).

Is there a customization sharing ability in the game (can I download rosters, logos, etc.)?

Last edited by TheBrew101; 05-30-2023 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-30-2023, 04:40 PM   #10
Pro

OVR: 0

Didn't see a questions forum so I'll ask here. How many batting cams are there?
Old 05-30-2023, 04:47 PM   #11
Game Dev

TheBleedingRed21's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrew101
Don't have the game yet but in looking at videos, many of the Legends do not look anything like the real life player. Now, I fully understand that is a caricature of the player but they should at least have some resemblance. Some do such as Babe Ruth and Ortiz but many (most?) are nowhere near. It isn't much different than if someone just created the guy using the creator and made them. That is disappointing to me. I'd like to at least have the guy look a little like the player (similar to Ortiz and Ruth). Also the batting stances aren't even close-again, not expecting perfect realism in a game like this but was expecting a somewhat unique replica of stances--especially for unique guys like Cecil Cooper, Jeff Bagwell, Robin Yount, etc.

I was pretty excited for this game but trying to decide why I should get this instead of just playing Super Mega 3. Not seeing much new in watching a few Youtube videos. Someone sell me on this game so I can buy it! (I'm sure I will end up getting it tonight anyway as I'm weak and always buy new sports games).

Is there a customization sharing ability in the game (can I download rosters, logos, etc.)?
Franchise mode has significant improvements. Draft mode is worth it alone. Ton of new player traits.

Graphics are better.. Audio is so much better. I could go on, for $50, I’d grab it any day of the week.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-30-2023, 06:14 PM   #12
MVP

lowpaiddonkey10's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will I Am
Didn't see a questions forum so I'll ask here. How many batting cams are there?

Watching JimiBoredom on Twitch now and unless I missed something on a BR break there seems to still only be one. Hope I'm wrong doubt it. To me same game since inception with few changes.
Old 05-30-2023, 10:15 PM   #13
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77

Day 1 patch and patch notes.

https://www.operationsports.com/supe...y-subscribers/
Follow me on Twitter
Old 05-31-2023, 12:19 AM   #14
MVP

Keirik's Arena

OVR: 16

That was a ton of added stuff and bug fixes.

And lol at this one
It is now more obvious when a game enters extra innings.

Was it previously not obvious?
Old 05-31-2023, 06:11 AM   #15
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Heads up for anyone who hasn't made a platform choice yet - I was experiencing some frame drop during camera transitions from batting to running/fielding and just randomly during gameplay on the PC version. Not huge dips and not enough to be unplayable, but frequent enough to be annoying. I had SMB3 installed to the same drive and had none of that, which tells me there may be some optimization issues going on. I was a little over 2 hours playtime but I still got a Steam refund to go through, and once that cleared I swapped to the PS5 version which has none of that problem (tested it with the Trial version before buying the game again). I think it will get patched quickly if it's a widespread PC issue (and I'm not the only one experiencing it if Twitter and the Steam forums are anything to go by), but since this option was out there I gladly took it.

That aside, the game definitely still has the soul that MetalHead put into it for 3 and now 4 iterations. EA seems to be playing mostly hands-off here as far as development goes, which I see as a good thing. Unfortunately only had time to play a couple short exhibition games with the PC issues going on, but I'll be looking to dive into all that it has to offer in the next few days.

Edit: All of the framedrop issues were WITH the day one patch installed (I can tell because of the directional arrow for fielders and random select for exhibition that they mentioned)

One more thing...I do want to mention the sound effects, particularly bat-on-ball. They're over-the-top arcade this year, which does fit the game's style but may be somewhat off-putting to sim-minded gamers. Then again, if you're familiar with said style maybe it won't bother you all that much anyway. Still wanted to give a heads up on it.

Last edited by bcruise; 05-31-2023 at 06:43 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2023, 09:16 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 3

I played the game for a couple hours last night as part of trial on Gamepass (EA Play). My impressions:

Gameplay: Very similar to SMB3. This is a good thing on my eyes. If you liked SMB3 gameplay, you will be right at home.

Sound Effects: There seems to "be a lot more going on" with the sounds. I don't see this as a positive or negative. Some may prefer the older style. One thing I didn't like was some of legends names were not pronounced correctly.

Franchise: Only played a few games but liked the manager moments and decisions that popped up. Think this will add a fun element.

Legends: Huge disappointment for me. I was excited to use legends in the game. However, most have zero resemblance to their real life counterpart and they share the same batting stances as other players in game (no uniqueness or likeness to the legend). I could go in and create a player, stick a real MLB name on him and he would not be any different than 70-80% of the Legends in the game. I wasn't expecting face scans but I was expecting the ability to see the caricature of the Legend and be able to tell who it was.

Creation Sharing: I'm not seeing any option for this. This is another disappointment for me. In SMB3 for PC you could download user created items (I had used a MLB user roster and logos). I was hoping for something like this on console (like MLB The Show roster and logo vaults).

Haven't tried online stuff.

Overall: I'm a bit disappointed to be honest. Game isn't bad by any means and I think it is a step up from SMB3....but it is a very small step in my opinion. It has gone from must buy to likely waiting for sale price for me (not sure yet....will see how I feel after 10 hour trial).

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Super Mega Baseball »