Home

FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022

This is a discussion on FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 within the Pro Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Pro Soccer
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 11-21-2022, 08:14 PM   #81

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krebstar
I already know the answer, but I have to ask, as perhaps I’m not alone.

Any other Americans here that don’t give a hoot about the national team, but instead support another national side? (Germany for me)

A step further would be my open hostility towards the USMNT and hoping they crash out ASAP to end the every four year nationalistic uprising of support. I won’t go into that more, though, this post is already cynical enough.

There are dozens of us—dozens!
I get the vibes, but I'm not sure I'd be fine with German nationalism but shy away from American lol. They've all got issues.

I think the Mexican national team is way more fun and interesting to follow. That country actually loves soccer. Here most of the support comes from more urban/hipster spots, places where there are enough international transplants to support it, etc. It's way more of a spread out thing, even in World Cup years.

Personally I would love to see England, Wales and Mexico do well. I honestly haven't followed the US team enough to be super invested in them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2022, 08:36 PM   #82
MVP

Brahvocado's Arena

OVR: 0

Personally I'd love to see England, Mexico and France all do very poorly because their fans and players are obnoxious.

Idk, I'm not even remotely nationalistic but I've been watching US soccer since I was a kid, for better or for worse. I've never really been able to wrap my head around "rooting" for another team, if my team can't win I'm not really gonna be happy about anyone else winning lol. There are other teams I enjoy watching, but I don't actually care if they win or not.

The only reason to want the US to do poorly as an American is so Berhalter finally gets fired, but since his brother is in charge of whether or not he gets fired, even that wouldn't be a guarantee (yay nepotism!).

The current US crop of players has the most potential we've probably ever seen, they just need a coach that doesn't think playing Jordan Morris over Gio Reyna is a good tactical choice.
Old 11-21-2022, 09:02 PM   #83
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG
That’s some real English type ish y’all are on

Pack… do you feel the same way about the Men’s Hoops Team? I love me some Team USA, hoops, soccer, boxing, etc…

After that it’s France and Jamaica

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Basketball is different, I can’t front. I want them to always win in Basketball but that’s also because I know they’re going to be the team to beat in every Olympics. But to be fair, it was also one of the first sports I followed and I got to witness that Dream Team run in the 90s where that let me know “Yeah, we’ll have this sport on lock for awhile”.

Jamaica would be another country I don’t mind seeing win as well.

Whereas with Soccer, I know they’ll never win a WC and nothing they’ve done over the years has given me any indication that they’ll seriously contend for it. And with knowing that, it’s like why get behind that?
Old 11-21-2022, 09:11 PM   #84
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG
It’s all situational. Wilson was def on some BS but Pulisic legit got fouled. If you couldn’t see him limping around then I don’t know what to tell you.

Yeah…1 of those subs was for Musah because he was out there gassed out. Cramps can come and go.

Soccers only different because there’s a running clock. You can’t call timeout like you can in hoops to kill momentum. You don’t get a tv timeout or break after every play like the NFL. Different rules = different strategies.

I know you’re a good dude though GG despite all that purple ish in your wardrobe Come down 95 . You know Pack wants to get that right hand up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pulisic did get fouled a bunch. It looked like early on the plan was to rough him up. Kid's gonna be sore tomorrow no doubt. But he absolutely stayed down out of some attempt at gamesmanship. And even the commentators know Musah went down for strategic reasons lol.

Its part of the sport but it was too much in the last ~20 minutes. Ain't no way that many guys cramping up in 70 degree weather. I know the different rules and running clock results in unique strategies (stop playing both sides lol) but after Bale's equalizer we couldn't go 3 minutes without a guy rolling around on the pitch.

I stay outside of Houston now lol. Moved from PG County about 6 years ago.

Anyway its odd, I seem to enjoy the less important matches more when watching soccer. Seems like when the stakes are higher is when the gamesmanship and shenanigans come out.
Old 11-21-2022, 09:21 PM   #85
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
Basketball is different, I can’t front. I want them to always win in Basketball but that’s also because I know they’re going to be the team to beat in every Olympics. But to be fair, it was also one of the first sports I followed and I got to witness that Dream Team run in the 90s where that let me know “Yeah, we’ll have this sport on lock for awhile”.

Jamaica would be another country I don’t mind seeing win as well.

Whereas with Soccer, I know they’ll never win a WC and nothing they’ve done over the years has given me any indication that they’ll seriously contend for it. And with knowing that, it’s like why get behind that?
I want USA to do well in soccer because thats the path to grow the sport here. I don't really care about national pride or bragging rights. I know winning the WC ain't happening anytime soon, but I still cheer them on to put on a good showing. Its like being a Detroit Lions fan I guess.

I'm the opposite with basketball. I legit don't care one bit how Team USA does. If anything I like seeing them lose once in awhile because that will grow the sport internationally and get some more foreign talent in the NBA.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2022, 10:08 PM   #86
MVP

Keirik's Arena

OVR: 16

Screw that. I’m an American. I want the US to win the World Cup and I’ll walk down the street singing Yankee Doodle Dandy all night even if I’m alone. I can’t bring myself to not support them just because I don’t like a coach or a player. It’s my country. That’s enough for me. After that, as the son of German parents, that’s my secondary team if US is out (which seems to frequently happen lol).
Old 11-21-2022, 10:28 PM   #87
is looking at stats.

Krebstar's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubcity
I get the vibes, but I'm not sure I'd be fine with German nationalism but shy away from American lol. They've all got issues.
Yeah, there's nuance, though—and I'll begin and end with the following: in the modern day, patriotism ≠ nationalism. I chose my previous wording very intentionally—but I'm leaving it at that.

Back to the footie—tomorrow there's a match that, to me, is the first intriguing pairing so far: Mexico v Poland.
Old 11-21-2022, 10:32 PM   #88

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
I want USA to do well in soccer because thats the path to grow the sport here.
Is it tho? I'm not sure what the ceiling is for the growth in popularity of the sport in America, but I'm not convinced its much higher than where we are at now. And that's fine with me. I'm not sure I want a world where I turn on my car radio and they are going on and on about the MLS, or Skip and Shannon are talking about Pulisic nonstop lol.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Pro Soccer »