Home

FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022

This is a discussion on FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 within the Pro Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Pro Soccer
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-20-2022, 06:02 PM   #617
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan Superman

I will be a little sad if some people become less dedicated to the dark arts of time-wasting, but knowing that it won't go away all at once I will at least enjoy it until the sport becomes fully corporate.
Out of curiosity, why?

Guess there are two questions there. Why do you enjoy it and whats the connection to the sport going corporate

(Edit: I don't mean it in an argumentative context. I'm genuinely curious)

Last edited by ggsimmonds; 12-20-2022 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-20-2022, 08:28 PM   #618

Suntan Superman's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
Out of curiosity, why?

Guess there are two questions there. Why do you enjoy it and whats the connection to the sport going corporate

(Edit: I don't mean it in an argumentative context. I'm genuinely curious)
I love it because I learned about the game from Arsene Wenger, who often says the game the players play on the pitch is an expression of themselves. The time-keeping in soccer is one of it's truly unique elements, and because of it one of the forms of expression people are allowed is time-wasting. Like every other part of the game, there are levels. (https://twitter.com/ESPNFC/status/1433971341032505346 This is one of my favorites. Truly is elite time-wasting, not on a yellow so the card doesn't matter, the ref will not add the correct time back on, and you're near the end which means the next attacking action that is ended will probably end the game, while conversely you have this https://youtu.be/ifwtmo-wFDE?t=192 which is horrible time-wasting, because he's already on a yellow, he's doing it in front of the centre ref, the added time hasn't been announced so your antics can just lead to more added time.) It's really just a whole other part of the game to master for you to do anything meaningful.

Part of it is also my theory that everything is better with the wrestling face/heel dynamic, and the time-wasters, along with the perpetual foulers are great heels. You want them to lose, you want them to get their **** shoved in, and it adds passion to the game. Emi Martinez is a marked man at this point, and I'm going to enjoy it when an opponent scores on him and mocks him right back.

It's relation to the corporatization of soccer is moreso that places are viewing sports as more of a thing to sell rather than an art to enjoy. The removal of one of the "schools of art" from the game just removes more of the heart and soul of the game that I think truly makes it great.

tl;dr I like the drama it adds.
Old 12-20-2022, 09:28 PM   #619
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan Superman
I love it because I learned about the game from Arsene Wenger, who often says the game the players play on the pitch is an expression of themselves. The time-keeping in soccer is one of it's truly unique elements, and because of it one of the forms of expression people are allowed is time-wasting. Like every other part of the game, there are levels. (https://twitter.com/ESPNFC/status/1433971341032505346 This is one of my favorites. Truly is elite time-wasting, not on a yellow so the card doesn't matter, the ref will not add the correct time back on, and you're near the end which means the next attacking action that is ended will probably end the game, while conversely you have this https://youtu.be/ifwtmo-wFDE?t=192 which is horrible time-wasting, because he's already on a yellow, he's doing it in front of the centre ref, the added time hasn't been announced so your antics can just lead to more added time.) It's really just a whole other part of the game to master for you to do anything meaningful.

Part of it is also my theory that everything is better with the wrestling face/heel dynamic, and the time-wasters, along with the perpetual foulers are great heels. You want them to lose, you want them to get their **** shoved in, and it adds passion to the game. Emi Martinez is a marked man at this point, and I'm going to enjoy it when an opponent scores on him and mocks him right back.

It's relation to the corporatization of soccer is moreso that places are viewing sports as more of a thing to sell rather than an art to enjoy. The removal of one of the "schools of art" from the game just removes more of the heart and soul of the game that I think truly makes it great.

tl;dr I like the drama it adds.
Thanks for the thought out reply.

I always viewed it as something of a peculiarity of the sport tbh. There are other aspects or things players do that make the game feel very "gentlemanly" like kicking the ball out when someone on the opposition is hurt, or applauding the fans, and some of the other rituals (like the pregame stuff) but then they resort to almost childish-like levels of time wasting at the end.
Old 01-18-2023, 01:10 AM   #620
MVP

Keirik's Arena

OVR: 16

Putting this here just for those getting updates on how to attend the 26 WC

https://www.fifa.com/fifaplus/en/tou...e6d601a8839e88)
Old 01-18-2023, 06:09 PM   #621
MVP

Brahvocado's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
Thanks for the thought out reply.

I always viewed it as something of a peculiarity of the sport tbh. There are other aspects or things players do that make the game feel very "gentlemanly" like kicking the ball out when someone on the opposition is hurt, or applauding the fans, and some of the other rituals (like the pregame stuff) but then they resort to almost childish-like levels of time wasting at the end.
https://youtu.be/mnUyzbt3Z64

For some reason it’s titled the dumbest yellow card ever but it’s actually one of the funniest things I’ve seen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2023, 01:38 PM   #622
All Star

bhurst99's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahvocado
https://youtu.be/mnUyzbt3Z64

For some reason it’s titled the dumbest yellow card ever but it’s actually one of the funniest things I’ve seen.
It's dumb because there's only 10 seconds left in the allotted four minutes of extra time when Drogba does it. So the ref was probably going to blow the whistle as soon as the keeper kicked it.

But yeah it is pretty funny.
Old 01-27-2023, 09:31 PM   #623
MVP

Brahvocado's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhurst99
It's dumb because there's only 10 seconds left in the allotted four minutes of extra time when Drogba does it. So the ref was probably going to blow the whistle as soon as the keeper kicked it.

But yeah it is pretty funny.
Chelsea had been wasting a ton of time that game so it would have been reasonable to think the ref might let play go on longer tbs

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Pro Soccer »