Home

NHL 2023 Offseason

This is a discussion on NHL 2023 Offseason within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-20-2023, 04:06 PM   #81
All Star

OVR: 13
Re: NHL 2023 Offseason

I guess my mind / internet sleuthing don't go to the right places (or wrong ones, actually) on this story, but what exactly was Babcock doing with the photos he saw on players' phones that was evil/manipulative?

I don't need to be convinced that he's a terrible, abusive coach - former Red Wings dishing on how he acted during his tenure in Detroit were enough for me - I'm just wondering why this photo-sharing thing ended up being such a big deal, when (on the surface anyway) it doesn't sound to me like a 5-alarm fire.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2023, 05:20 PM   #82
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
I guess my mind / internet sleuthing don't go to the right places (or wrong ones, actually) on this story, but what exactly was Babcock doing with the photos he saw on players' phones that was evil/manipulative?

I don't need to be convinced that he's a terrible, abusive coach - former Red Wings dishing on how he acted during his tenure in Detroit were enough for me - I'm just wondering why this photo-sharing thing ended up being such a big deal, when (on the surface anyway) it doesn't sound to me like a 5-alarm fire.
Let's put it this way. If a new employer asked me to show photos on my phone, I'd flat-out refuse, and would be highly suspicious of him/her going forward. It strikes me as bizarre.

As we all know, there is a very high level of conformity in the hockey world, especially among younger players. If you're a 18-20 year old non-star player, and one of the most famous coaches in the world asks you to do something you're uncomfortable with, you're likely to do it regardless. There's a huge power imbalance at play - none of these guys are going to tell Babs to get stuffed.

I'd object on principle, even if I had nothing to hide, but these young players could have pictures of themselves partying, indiscreet photos of GF, or maybe even evidence of being in the closet. And then consider Babcock's rep for trustworthiness, ie the Marner story. What's on a player's phone is none of Babcock's business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post
Old 09-20-2023, 06:31 PM   #83
Inter Miami

southernmetalhead's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
I guess my mind / internet sleuthing don't go to the right places (or wrong ones, actually)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones
indiscreet photos of GF.
I don't know that this is what he was looking for, but it's what I immediately thought he was doing when I heard this.
Old 09-21-2023, 05:48 PM   #84
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones
Let's put it this way. If a new employer asked me to show photos on my phone, I'd flat-out refuse, and would be highly suspicious of him/her going forward. It strikes me as bizarre.

As we all know, there is a very high level of conformity in the hockey world, especially among younger players. If you're a 18-20 year old non-star player, and one of the most famous coaches in the world asks you to do something you're uncomfortable with, you're likely to do it regardless. There's a huge power imbalance at play - none of these guys are going to tell Babs to get stuffed.

I'd object on principle, even if I had nothing to hide, but these young players could have pictures of themselves partying, indiscreet photos of GF, or maybe even evidence of being in the closet. And then consider Babcock's rep for trustworthiness, ie the Marner story. What's on a player's phone is none of Babcock's business.
I agree with everything you said, I'm just surprised that this is what caused Babcock to get fired after all the things he's done over the years without any reprisal or consequences whatsoever. In the scope of things that he's been (alleged) to have done in his career, this doesn't actually seem like that big of a deal - in comparison, that is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernmetalhead
I don't know that this is what he was looking for, but it's what I immediately thought he was doing when I heard this.
Yeah, I suppose that makes some sense. I don't have any photos on my phone I would be embarrassed or shy to show anybody, and I would still refuse if asked. But I understand why someone wouldn't feel comfortable saying no to their head coach, especially one that's proven he's pretty vindictive and definitely not above retribution/penalizing people.
Old 09-22-2023, 12:26 AM   #85
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
I agree with everything you said, I'm just surprised that this is what caused Babcock to get fired after all the things he's done over the years without any reprisal or consequences whatsoever. In the scope of things that he's been (alleged) to have done in his career, this doesn't actually seem like that big of a deal - in comparison, that is.
Combination of things:

- Babcock's ****tiness in Detroit was largely papered over with his Cup win and Canada's gold medals. Babcock was still thought of as a "winner" when he took the Leafs job. In addition to more stories becoming public (Marner, etc.), he no longer had on-ice success to shield him post-Toronto debacle

- thanks largely to the work of Katie Strang and Rick Westhead, the hockey world is more aware of the abuse perpetrated both by (Logan Mailloux, Mitchell Miller) and against (Kyle Beach) players, and how NHL teams will protect some players and not others. Even though the Old Boys' Club is as bad as ever, stuff that might've slipped by unnoticed 10 years ago is now more likely to be called out

- Biz pushed this pretty hard. His role at TNT both a.) lends him more credibility than he had with Barstool alone, as he'd be likely be canned by Turner if there was nothing to this, and b.) makes him more difficult to be ignored, to the chagrin of "hockey men" everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post

Last edited by DrJones; 09-23-2023 at 03:28 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2023, 01:51 PM   #86
All Star

Nicely summarized; thanks doc
Old 09-24-2023, 12:11 AM   #87

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

NHL preseason so far:
Coyotes vs Kings