Home

2024 Offseason Thread

This is a discussion on 2024 Offseason Thread within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 01-30-2024, 03:09 PM   #129
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: 2024 Offseason Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambertandHam
Well it's official. Arthur Smith as the new Steelers OC. I don't like the hire at first read. Reminds me of Pitt's last OC before hiring Bell.
TBH, I wasn't thrilled at first either, but I was just going off of his stint as the Falcons HC, which obviously didn't work out.

But seeing what he was able to do with the Titans offense, has me a bit curious, it's debatable if the Steelers have the QB to run his style of offense (heavily relying on PA) also throw in the lackluster oline, also the Titans had Henry as well, could the 2headed monster of Warren and Harris produce like Henty did? who knows...

The possibilty of bringing back Munchak is huge though, if the Steelers can bring him back, then Smith's type of offense may just be successful.

Now if the Steelers cut Trubisky, have an open and FAIR QB' competition between Pickett and Rudolph (if he resigns) per Tomlin, bring in either a vet or draft a QB, things could definitely get interesting...
“I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest – If you can’t take it, you shouldn’t play!” Jack Lambert
Quote:
“Quarterbacks should wear dresses.” Jack Lambert
Old 01-30-2024, 03:49 PM   #130
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26

I loved Arthur Smith as an OC. I was interested in him possibly coming to Buffalo.

My guess is if Washington was going to go for Johnson, they’ll change to Slowik now. Surprised Commanders job hasn’t been more coveted.

I want to see what Seattle does. It’s going to be very hard to follow up the standard that Carrol helped establish there — with Carrol looking over your shoulder! I don’t think a Vrabel or BB will work like that so it gives me the feeling this will be kind of an out of left field hire.

Good on Johnson for running it back with Detroit, love to see that. That’s twice now, I believe he had taken himself out of consideration for some jobs last year too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 01-30-2024, 03:53 PM   #131
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
2024 Offseason Thread

Ben Johnson staying in Detroit might be the most important staffing decision of this offseason.

He’s damn good at what he does, especially with empowering his offense to change their run calls presnap to get into the right concept against whatever front opposes them.

The Lions will have $60M of cap room to play with in March and only four of their pending free agents played more than 50% of available snaps. Between that state of affairs and Johnson’s unexpected return, right now I have no reason to believe they won’t be right back in the thick of it next January.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-30-2024, 04:05 PM   #132
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
Total blasphemy, but he’s got a Jim Johnson look to him there.
Late, but just to make sure we are all on the same page: Vic Fangio and Jim Johnson (RIP) could not be more philosophically opposed as defensive minds.

Jim Johnson’s defenses were all about aggression, stacking the line of scrimmage presnap, blitzing from all angles of the field (especially from the secondary), and mixed coverages behind those blitzes.

Vic Fangio’s defense at a high level will be similar to the ones the Eagles were already running under Jonathan Gannon and Sean Desai — lots of 2-hi looks and split field coverages, post-snap coverage rotations to make the quarterback work while the ball is live, and an extremely strong preference to rush four and drop seven with coverage being favored over blitzing.

Fangio will probably be better at calling the defense on Sundays than Desai was, and certainly he will do better than Matt Patricia who ran the Eagles’ defense into the ground. But in order for Fangio’s defense to really succeed the Eagles are going to have to pair this hire with some wholesale roster changes at off-ball linebacker (I can’t remember the last time the Eagles invested significant resources at this position) and in the secondary (they have a lot of big names, but with the exception of Darius Slay they all got old fast this past year).

Last edited by CM Hooe; 01-30-2024 at 04:57 PM. Reason: I accidentally a word
Old 01-30-2024, 04:49 PM   #133
All Star

LambertandHam's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer5150
TBH, I wasn't thrilled at first either, but I was just going off of his stint as the Falcons HC, which obviously didn't work out.

But seeing what he was able to do with the Titans offense, has me a bit curious, it's debatable if the Steelers have the QB to run his style of offense (heavily relying on PA) also throw in the lackluster oline, also the Titans had Henry as well, could the 2headed monster of Warren and Harris produce like Henty did? who knows...

The possibilty of bringing back Munchak is huge though, if the Steelers can bring him back, then Smith's type of offense may just be successful.

Now if the Steelers cut Trubisky, have an open and FAIR QB' competition between Pickett and Rudolph (if he resigns) per Tomlin, bring in either a vet or draft a QB, things could definitely get interesting...

I miss Munchak

PSN: BigGreenZaku

Old 01-30-2024, 05:18 PM   #134
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Late, but just to make sure we are all on the same page: Vic Fangio and Jim Johnson (RIP) could not be more philosophically opposed as defensive minds.

Jim Johnson’s defenses were all about aggression, stacking the line of scrimmage presnap, blitzing from all angles of the field (especially from the secondary), and mixed coverages behind those blitzes.

Vic Fangio’s defense at a high level will be similar to the ones the Eagles were already running under Jonathan Gannon and Sean Desai — lots of 2-hi looks and split field coverages, post-snap coverage rotations to make the quarterback work while the ball is live, and an extremely strong preference to rush four and drop seven with coverage being favored over blitzing.

Fangio will probably be better at calling the defense on Sundays than Desai was, and certainly he will do better than Matt Patricia who ran the Eagles’ defense into the ground. But in order for Fangio’s defense to really succeed the Eagles are going to have to pair this hire with some wholesale roster changes at off-ball linebacker (I can’t remember the last time the Eagles invested significant resources at this position) and in the secondary (they a lot of big names, but with the exception of Darius Slay they all got old fast this past year).
I guess the last significant LB move was reaching for Davion Taylor in the 3rd round in 2020 or 2021 when he only had less than four or five years playing the sport. Before that was Nigel Bradham, and before that was drafting guys like Jordan Hicks and Kendricks a decade ago. Recently, I can say Nakobe Dean in the third round. I don't think he got listed for a missed tackle before he got hurt, but didn't feel like he made the type of impact where you couldn't upgrade over him. Howie Roseman doesn't place a high priority on LBs. Felt like they have been going the cheap route and trying to strike gold on the Vet Min market.

I'm not super high on Fangio. I just feel like they were dead set on the Fangio defense. But, I do like the idea of getting more adults in the room. It felt outside of DL Coach Rucker, most of the defensive staff was very inexperienced. So, if they can at least clean up the communication issues, open field tackling, and giving up sustaining drives, the defense should be vastly improved. But, I agree that back 7 needs to be addressed. Defense in general needs to be the main priority this offseason. I can see giving Dean another full year, but they need an established quality LB next to him, not another Vet min or washed up LB. I'm good with Slay for another year. But, they have to move on from Bradberry. They drafted Ringo in the third and got a young of promising outside CBs, but wouldn't oppose another starting outside CB. I like Maddox at SCB, but he just can't stay healthy and they did trade for Isaiah Rodgers from Colts last year(who was suspended). They have to address Safety as well. I like Blankenship, but he's probably best suited as a third Safety. I think Sydney Brown has potential, but did tear his ACL in the final game. Besides a INT, Kevin Byard didn't do anything special to bring him back. That's somewhere they missed Gardener-Johnson. But, I wouldn't want him back because he's a liability in the run game.
Old 01-30-2024, 06:12 PM   #135
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambertandHam
I miss Munchak
Tell me about it..
I just hope he does come back.
“I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest – If you can’t take it, you shouldn’t play!” Jack Lambert
Quote:
“Quarterbacks should wear dresses.” Jack Lambert
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-30-2024, 07:37 PM   #136
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
Wow, certainly thought he would take a job this year
I did see that his asking price was $15m
Lol ain’t no way in hell I believe Owners balked at that number.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »