Home

2022 Fitness Adventure

This is a discussion on 2022 Fitness Adventure within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 02-07-2022, 03:00 PM   #17
All Star

OVR: 13
Re: 2022 Fitness Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Live 013
So guys, in general terms, what have been your experience with gyms/gyms memberships and the like? I'm thinking that maybe by summer I could get membership for Planet Fitness and would like to know if it is worth it.
My experience is that unless the gym is at your place of work (as in, literally at your office) or within walking distance of your house, you will not go enough for it to be worth it. For context: I hate working out and going to a gym, and any excuse I have not to go is enough to tip the inertia toward not going.

The only times in my life where I have consistently gone to the gym 3-4 times/week over a lengthy stretch of time (>6 months in a row) have been when I have worked at an office with a gym in the actual office building, or when I used to have a gym 2 blocks from my house that I could walk to. Every other time I have belonged to a gym, I never went.

TL;DR - figure out how motivated you are and what your patterns are, and then decide on whether gym membership is worth it or not. I would not count on the motivation of "well, I paid for the membership, so I'll go" as sufficient to get yourself to go consistently. Unless you're one of those people that just loves the gym/working out, convenience trumps everything else in my experience.
Old 02-11-2022, 11:26 PM   #18
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

I had a pretty good last two weeks.

1 Mile - 5:08
3 Mile - 18:41
5 Mile - 33:11

The only times that didn't really see general improvement were my two-lap and three-lap times. My two-lap best was 2:18, but got 2:16 in the two weeks prior. My 3-lap is still around 3:45, and unless I'm breaking 3:40 I don't see myself breaking a 5:00 mile time. I reckon I'm still a month away from that, at least. We'll see.

This is definitely more running than I've done before in my life though, so maybe my body just isn't ready for all of this but I'm determined to not stop, because if I do then I know I will just end up stopping overall.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 02-11-2022 at 11:31 PM.
Old 02-12-2022, 04:35 PM   #19
All Star

OVR: 8

Not bad Blzer.

I don't think I've even done a 6 minute mile since I was a teen lol. So, that's solid.

I was finally starting to see some real gains, 3 months into T-25. The current 5 week session (Gamma) has a lot more weight training, and overall it's just a lot more intense than the Alpha & Beta rounds I did the first couple of months. A couple mornings ago I saw my lightest weight on the scale in probably 5 years. Of course that same day I went to the podiatrist and had a toe nail removed due to an infection (possibly caused by my recent working out). So, now I'm sidelined from T-25 for about a week, but I've been trying to do some static weight lifting so that I don't lose all of my gains.
Old 02-19-2022, 06:26 AM   #20
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

I had absolutely zero goals going into my three-mile days this week, and even on each day sometimes I'm telling my legs: "It's okay, just make sure you finish." And yet, something is happening where I seem to be, you know, "getting more in shape" and improving. Below were my times.

Monday - 18:29*
Tuesday - 18:20**
Wednesday - 18:12
Thursday - 17:50
Friday - 17:47

* I dropped my phone (which I use to time with) in my 10th lap. I had to pick it up circling around my 11th lap, which very much could've added two or more seconds and even more so messes with my psyche. It felt so strangely naked not holding onto my phone or hearing my music for that next lap, plus bending down mid-run after 2.5 miles isn't an easy recoup.

** There were soccer teams warming up before a game on this day, and our team's bench and player equipment leaked into at least the first lane on one side of the field. I can imagine that over 12 laps of duration that can add a little time, especially if players are walking by sometimes with zero disregard for my run and I throw in a little detour. I also battled a treacherously strong wind on this day and Wednesday coming around the turn for the home stretch every time, which can explain why I improved so much Thursday and Friday.

Today's run was really nice regarding consistency. If 18:00 is a 6:00 mile average and therefore a 1:30 lap average, my worst lap here was 1:30.45 on lap #6. My best lap (and mile) is always my last one as well, and today it was 1:21.47.

There is absolutely no real translation between the runs here and my mile runs, other than I am getting a little more "in shape" overall for it and I think I keep building up a mental will. However, this next week I could be nearing that 5:00 time even more so. Monday's three-lap time will be really telling of how close I'll be, and honestly I do zero favors for myself doing my Tuesday workout right before Wednesday's mile. It seems I play a little more long-game with it rather than just seeking that absolute best time possible.

This next week I also have school off, so I may be trying some early morning runs in place of those mid-afternoon runs. I may even transition that over to starting to run before school coming out of this break so I can use my 6th period prep for other means, especially for my softball team.

Anyway, thanks for reading my journal entries! As much as I'd like to break the 5:00 mile time, I don't know what is in store for me to break my 4:50 personal best (and last timed mile in high school) that I did my sophomore year. I'd love to Blze past that 15-year-old McFluffin for sure as I'm going on 34 years of age.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 02-19-2022 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-23-2022, 02:01 PM   #21
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

Just ran an unconvincing 4:59.76 mile time this morning. I'll take it, but I need to best that to be sure!

Lap 1 - 1:12.26
Lap 2 - 1:15.13
Lap 3 - 1:16.17
Lap 4 - 1:16.18

Gassed out in the last half-lap. My whole body was numbing itself. Definitely need to work better on the final push.

EDIT: Going to try and not bump unless it's another week down.

The last two days were a bit "lackluster," but both were early in the morning in sub-30 degree weather. I did my two-lap time at 2:18 again, but boy was it cold running that hard in just shorts and a shirt. This morning I did my five-mile run, but it was on a cement trail and not a track. I didn't pace anything out correctly, it was cold (although I dressed heavily including gloves), and my phone battery died about 25 minutes in so I didn't get a final time.

I will start running in the morning soon in place of my 6th period class overall, though. Games are coming up for softball season and I won't be able to run on those days as a result. I have to figure that one out especially since I start teaching at 7:00 AM, but it's hard to endure the cold and maintain the times that I am going for. Unfortunately, the times are what motivate me most. I wish running just did and I wish that I enjoyed it more than I actually do.

Last edited by Blzer; 02-25-2022 at 09:43 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2022, 07:51 AM   #22
Hall Of Fame

Master Live 013's Arena

OVR: 0

On the 5th the treadmill I had been using broke down. Queue to 2 weeks of trying to see if it was still in warranty, then trying to get it fixed on my own. No exercising in 18 days.

Wednesday was my first day on Planet Fitness and it wasn't the best experience, I left discouraged (I did work out).

Yesterday was my second day, it was better. A work in progress.

******** src="moz-extension://a8462fe0-d9b6-4eb4-9021-b8c5a4f16443/js/app.js" type="text/javascript">
Old 03-03-2022, 03:21 PM   #23
All Star

OVR: 13

Great job everyone on this thread for staying on the horse (or getting back on it as the case may be)!

One thought I had recently (while bored out of my mind running a quick 1.75 mile lunchtime trot) was in terms of energy expenditure when jogging/running, my entirely subjective take on 'difficulty' or strenuousness ranks something like this:

Running outdoors on city streets > running on a track > running on a treadmill

My impression of running on treadmill is that it is significantly easier than running outside in real world conditions, but I'm not sure anyone has ever actually looked into/quantified that (if it's even true). For one thing, the surface is perfectly level (even if you put some slope on the machine), and more importantly, the nature of the machine sort of 'dragging' your trail leg backwards means that you don't so much have to 'push-off' with the trail leg as you do just make sure your front leg gets forward quickly enough. Also, there's no wind resistance (or minimal).

I'm definitely not saying running on a treadmill is not worthwhile; nothing could be further from the truth. This is just where my mind wanders when I'm trotting around town trying to get a sweat going so I'm not on my rear-end all day long.
Old 03-03-2022, 04:17 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

Master Live 013's Arena

OVR: 0

Oh, I would concur with that order of difficulty. As a matter of fact, some years ago (one of my many tries at getting started) I tried running on a track 5 minutes away from home. I did it about twice (don't laugh :P) and on the second day I went like "nope" and that was that.

On the pro side I got there by walking over which added to the whole "an actually doing something" part of exercising, but as I saw it the cons were many. First the track wasn't in the best condition, it wasn't awful, but there was definitely some undulations/unevenness on the inner lanes. And then there's the heat, oh the heat. I'm not talking 70's or 80's, I'm talking at the very least low 90's to high 90's. I constantly was thinking "I wonder how many more days of this I have to do to get skin cancer"

Then there was the fact that I didn't know what the heck I was doing. For some reason I felt I needed to run my laps (nope) and got tired pretty quickly and then I felt I was doing it wrong and got discouraged. Which is an advantage of treadmills, they are idiot proof

As for running on the streets I actually thought about getting to the gym by running (10 minutes away); partially out of necessity and partially because I felt I was ready for it. The Planet Fitness club I was thinking on joining is notoriously located in a locale with no free parking. Before joining I called and they told me they offered 2 hours free for club members which was meh since I felt that was too short for getting there, exercising, showering and getting out of there. I don't like feeling like I have to be on a hurry.

So after telling my brother about my grand plan for running over there he says: "why don't you go to the one on the mall" (this one is 15 minutes away) and I was like...yeah, that's seems like a better idea No problem with (free) parking in that one so the rest is history.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »