Home

Grand Theft Auto VI

This is a discussion on Grand Theft Auto VI within the Non-Sports Gaming forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 02-04-2022, 01:54 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Grand Theft Auto VI

Seeing as Rockstar confirmed today that the next installment in the GTA series is "well underway" in development it seems this thread may be worthy.

We don't have much as far as official info. With GTA V they revealed the game in a similar, boring way with a blog post, then followed it up with a trailer later on.

This time around we don't even get a logp, just a small mention in a blog post. I wouldn't be surprised if we got a trailer sometime later on this year with a release date for fall 2023, then the traditional Rockstar delay to 2024, but who knows.

It's been nearly a full decade since V released. It's been 4 years since Red Dead Redemption 2 released. One would like assume GTA VI has been in development since RDR2 released at least, but we don't officially know.

I'll be surprised if we don't see this game release within the next two calendar years. I'd be a bit shocked if it didn't come out until 2025 or later.

I'd love to be surprised and see the game come out next year, but I won't hold my breath with Rockstar.

I do worry that with Dan Houser out of the picture the game may suffer. Plus the quality of additions to GTA Online has not been as stellar as we used to expect out of Rockstar, but I believe part of that is Online became much more popular than they ever anticipated and the foundation they're working on really limits what they want to achieve.

I do feel Rockstar has put themselves in a tough spot waiting so long to release the game. By the time it releases it will have been 10+ years since the previous release. It will only be natural for the game to not live up to the type of hype that builds over 10 years.

I expect the game to have a huge focus on Online again, this time with a better foundation for them to flesh things out with. I do worry the single player experience will suffer. GTA V was already a very weak game from a single player standpoint relative to other releases in the series. I hope VI doesn't have a similar fate and is much more ambitious and in depth like San Andreas was in its time.

I expect them to stay in the modern era, but I'd kill to see a game set anywhere between the 70s and 90s.

I'm anxious to see what is announced next, but given Rockstar's track record it will likely be months before we hear anything else about this release. At least we finally have official confirmation, though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-04-2022, 03:28 PM   #2
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: Grand Theft Auto VI

I’d be shocked if we get a trailer this year, which means it’ll be 2023 and the game dropping in mid-late 2024 after getting pushed back once.

Curious as to where the new one will take place at but I’d kill to have 3 different cities in the game with Vice City, Liberty City and either San Fierro or Las Venturas and basically getting to each the city via Airlines obviously.

I’m good on the Multi Characters deal though. Enjoyed it for what it was in GTAV but I don’t care to experience that again.
Old 02-04-2022, 04:07 PM   #3
I can't feel it

Jgainsey's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Seeing as Rockstar confirmed today that the next installment in the GTA series is "well underway" in development it seems this thread may be worthy.

We don't have much as far as official info. With GTA V they revealed the game in a similar, boring way with a blog post, then followed it up with a trailer later on.

This time around we don't even get a logp, just a small mention in a blog post. I wouldn't be surprised if we got a trailer sometime later on this year with a release date for fall 2023, then the traditional Rockstar delay to 2024, but who knows.

It's been nearly a full decade since V released. It's been 4 years since Red Dead Redemption 2 released. One would like assume GTA VI has been in development since RDR2 released at least, but we don't officially know.

I'll be surprised if we don't see this game release within the next two calendar years. I'd be a bit shocked if it didn't come out until 2025 or later.

I'd love to be surprised and see the game come out next year, but I won't hold my breath with Rockstar.

I do worry that with Dan Houser out of the picture the game may suffer. Plus the quality of additions to GTA Online has not been as stellar as we used to expect out of Rockstar, but I believe part of that is Online became much more popular than they ever anticipated and the foundation they're working on really limits what they want to achieve.

I do feel Rockstar has put themselves in a tough spot waiting so long to release the game. By the time it releases it will have been 10+ years since the previous release. It will only be natural for the game to not live up to the type of hype that builds over 10 years.

I expect the game to have a huge focus on Online again, this time with a better foundation for them to flesh things out with. I do worry the single player experience will suffer. GTA V was already a very weak game from a single player standpoint relative to other releases in the series. I hope VI doesn't have a similar fate and is much more ambitious and in depth like San Andreas was in its time.

I expect them to stay in the modern era, but I'd kill to see a game set anywhere between the 70s and 90s.

I'm anxious to see what is announced next, but given Rockstar's track record it will likely be months before we hear anything else about this release. At least we finally have official confirmation, though.

You think GTA V was weak from a single player perspective? I never touched online, so I can't speak to that, but I remember being absolutely in love with the game that fall of 2013. I think I put nearly 90 hours into my first playthrough, and much like RDR2, I felt as if Rockstar had jumped ahead a generation.

I guess the narrative has soured for some over the years given the success and persistent support of the online version, but this game was an unbelievable hit well before online got off to a rather rocky start. GTA V sold over 30 million(!) copies in 2013 alone, and well deserved I'd say. The game was scoring 9s and 10s all over the place, and I think people were genuinely blown away by it on its single player merits alone. I'd easily slot it in top 5 of the PS3/360 generation.

I do think that timeline sounds about right though... Late 23 to early 25. They would never do this, but I'd love to see something more in the tone RDR2, but sometime in the first half on the last century. Would be a fresh way to revisit Liberty City if they wanted to go there again, or something in that same era in the UK or Europe would be cool too.
Old 02-04-2022, 04:52 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

I’m sure there will be a lot of huge improvements as far as the open world stuff, as there always are. Having multiple cities is a logical next step. I am hoping for improvements with mission design. I feel like with a game like this and rdr, for games that are based on freedom to do whatever you want the missions are just so linear. So much walking you through each mission, so little challenge, I’d like to see that change.

And yea As someone who can’t get into online play on gta5 or rdr I am concerned single player will suffer. Is what it is though. Obviously an insane amount of people love the online stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-04-2022, 05:22 PM   #5
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

for me the next logical step would actually be a smaller city with every single interior available to you. I'd rather that than more and more - I played the matrix UE5 demo and as cool as it was graphically - I'd much rather something jam packed than sparse. Imagine 500 buildings 300 houses and 200 buildings including a few sky-scrapers with every inch availalbe for you to loot/rob/checkout and have people within them as well as high value items where you'd expect them to be including computers/servers banks etc.

If I get a city 5x the size of the last GTA it would be pointless unless it was procedural, but even then it's not enough motivation.

Better animation, better AI, more immersive, more explorable but less space I'd take any day
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-04-2022, 06:12 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgainsey
You think GTA V was weak from a single player perspective? I never touched online, so I can't speak to that, but I remember being absolutely in love with the game that fall of 2013. I think I put nearly 90 hours into my first playthrough, and much like RDR2, I felt as if Rockstar had jumped ahead a generation.

I guess the narrative has soured for some over the years given the success and persistent support of the online version, but this game was an unbelievable hit well before online got off to a rather rocky start. GTA V sold over 30 million(!) copies in 2013 alone, and well deserved I'd say. The game was scoring 9s and 10s all over the place, and I think people were genuinely blown away by it on its single player merits alone. I'd easily slot it in top 5 of the PS3/360 generation.

I do think that timeline sounds about right though... Late 23 to early 25. They would never do this, but I'd love to see something more in the tone RDR2, but sometime in the first half on the last century. Would be a fresh way to revisit Liberty City if they wanted to go there again, or something in that same era in the UK or Europe would be cool too.
It was weak relative to the rest of the series. It still was a fun experience and the world was very detailed and alive for the time, but going from GTA III to VC to San Andreas it felt like progress was made each release and each game felt revolutionary.

Going from San Andreas to IV it felt like the gameplay experience took a major step back as there was little to do outside of the story. Then V came along and improved on that weakness of IV, but was the shortest game in the series since GTA III, and it was still not nearly as full of content as San Andreas was.

It has, what, 65ish missions with 10 of those being 90 second missions where you do something as simple as park a getaway car.

If we had been told in 2004 that 9 years later we'd have GTA V and it would have less content to play I think we would have all been disappointed.

Compared to many games it was still good, but relative to other games in the series it definitely was not Rockstar's strongest showing.

― Plato
Old 02-04-2022, 08:15 PM   #7
I can't feel it

Jgainsey's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
It was weak relative to the rest of the series. It still was a fun experience and the world was very detailed and alive for the time, but going from GTA III to VC to San Andreas it felt like progress was made each release and each game felt revolutionary.

Going from San Andreas to IV it felt like the gameplay experience took a major step back as there was little to do outside of the story. Then V came along and improved on that weakness of IV, but was the shortest game in the series since GTA III, and it was still not nearly as full of content as San Andreas was.

It has, what, 65ish missions with 10 of those being 90 second missions where you do something as simple as park a getaway car.

If we had been told in 2004 that 9 years later we'd have GTA V and it would have less content to play I think we would have all been disappointed.

Compared to many games it was still good, but relative to other games in the series it definitely was not Rockstar's strongest showing.

Fair enough.

I may have just been in a more explorative mood than normal when it dropped. It was one of the only GTAs that I didn't just stick mostly to the missions and really used it as a sand box. The level of detail to their open worlds from San Andreas on have really struck a chord with me and 5 felt like the culmination of my favorite things from the previous entries.
Old 02-04-2022, 10:12 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgainsey
Fair enough.

I may have just been in a more explorative mood than normal when it dropped. It was one of the only GTAs that I didn't just stick mostly to the missions and really used it as a sand box. The level of detail to their open worlds from San Andreas on have really struck a chord with me and 5 felt like the culmination of my favorite things from the previous entries.
This was my exact experience with GTA V. I loved exploring every nook and cranny and soaking in every little detail. IV was actually a bit of a bummer to me because the world really did feel a bit empty outside of missions. To this day, nearly 10 years later, there are still times where I'll fire up GTA V single player just to get out there and explore and play around a bit. I also found the storyline more than suitable though you'd never find me calling it flawless or anything.

As it pertains to GTA VI, the matter-of-fact nature with which everyone throws around 2024 and 2025 release dates is quite a bit disheartening to me, as likely as those prognostications may be. This is one of my all-time favorite series and—relative to gaming—it's kind of tough to know that I'll need to wait a quarter of my life for the next iteration. If we're lucky, many of us seem to be planning on 10 years between V and VI and quite possibly more. That's insane.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »