Home

Old 07-08-2014, 04:06 PM   #57
MVP

Picci's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: No Man's Sky

Funny, that you mentioned it but I was just looking at a video from Gamespot and a report from by Danny O'Dwyer. If Hello Games can do this right, this game will be amazing.

Quote:
Freedom in video games is a dance between designer and player. We know where the limits are, we can see the invisible walls. But what if those walls didn't exist? What if the designer didn't communicate to the player how to play the game via missions and quests? What if we had true freedom, to go where we wanted, to teach ourselves about the limits of the game, to fail?

Hello Games are clearly interested in keeping much of what their game is under wraps, but today we unveil some fundamental aspects of No Man's Sky and give insight into how the game can, and hopefully will, grow over time.

If you get the chance to review these 2 videos, you owe yourself to get a better understanding of what this game will offer. In this 2nd piece they talk of the math calculations they use to create the sheer expanse of the universe which will set this game apart from others. Their commitment of adding to this universe could be astounding. Get the Hype train moving.

As gamers we understand the limits of game worlds. We know that those mountains are impassable, that your character can't swim or that your PC couldn't possibly render a city any larger. It doesn't bother us as long as the confines of that world keep us entertained. But, at a certain point the mini map is full, the game feels completed, and you turn off your console.

But what if that world could never be fully explored?

Last edited by Picci; 07-09-2014 at 05:04 PM. Reason: added Part 2 of Gamespot video
Old 07-14-2014, 09:50 AM   #58
Pro

j3nkins29's Arena

OVR: 5

Here is the third part of gamespot's video series on No Man's Sky.

http://youtu.be/ZVl1Hmth3HE
Old 07-14-2014, 06:45 PM   #59
MVP

TrustedDegree4's Arena

OVR: 0

I'm so confused with Hello Game and No Man Sky. At first it sounds like you could see other players then it just a single player experience. The only online experience you have is finding a planet for other to find.

Now I watch a video where the Lead guy is saying you have to work together with other people to reach your goal in the game. Is it a online game where you could play with other people or offline with some online features.

I'm still gonna get the game ad play it but I'm confused. The main goal seem like you have to go to the center of the Galaxy. He states it over and over in the videos I see.

Here is the video I saw.

http://youtu.be/aTczqx-PWJU
Old 07-14-2014, 08:37 PM   #60
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustedDegree4
I'm so confused with Hello Game and No Man Sky. At first it sounds like you could see other players then it just a single player experience. The only online experience you have is finding a planet for other to find.

Now I watch a video where the Lead guy is saying you have to work together with other people to reach your goal in the game. Is it a online game where you could play with other people or offline with some online features.
The way I see it, you do things like trade with others to upgrade your stuff. Otherwise, this is really a one-man journey, for the most part. You're doing your thing, but you're a part of the entire universe.

The best analogy the designer said was putting one million people in the US, and playing the odds of running into another person still being pretty bleak. I mean it's obviously what, 350x less often than you would see now in real life, but you know what I mean.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 07-14-2014, 09:10 PM   #61
MVP

Picci's Arena

Quote:

I'm still gonna get the game ad play it but I'm confused. The main goal seem like you have to go to the center of the Galaxy. He states it over and over in the videos I see.

Here is the video I saw.

http://youtu.be/aTczqx-PWJU
I thought the video in j3nkins29 post was telling...Heck I think all 3 from Gamespot was very informative.

To put this in simplistic terms, this is what I'm discovering in their message.

1- You and I buy the game and we pretty much start it off.

2- We decide if we want to be explorers, bounty hunters, traders, etc.etc.....

3- Lets say we both pick explorers and we travel with the spaceship we're given which is a tier 1 type.

4- You travel through the universe towards the east, I travel west. (we don't necessarily need to find the center of the galaxy)

5- You find a moon, its dark, it has strange invisible creatures, it lacks breathable atmosphere. You would then put in DATA in whatever they provide for us. This data is now visible to me. It will show me the coordinates, what you discovered. Other people may visit this moon and add more data and information.

6- In my adventures traveling west, I find a planet. I put in it's coordinates. It has beautiful lush meadows and springs. The planet is inhabited with model-like women. They've never seen a male before. I put in my findings in my data bank that you can now access.

7- You're on a quest to find this planet.

Say if you were a hunter, and your employer wants a T-Rex for their zoo. Either there's information for you in a data bank that was previously discovered that you will need to go to, or you would have to travel to find it.

They did mention that down the road there will be multi-player but its not known yet what this may have.

Last edited by Picci; 07-14-2014 at 09:29 PM. Reason: added info
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2014, 10:43 PM   #62
MVP

TrustedDegree4's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
The way I see it, you do things like trade with others to upgrade your stuff. Otherwise, this is really a one-man journey, for the most part. You're doing your thing, but you're a part of the entire universe.

The best analogy the designer said was putting one million people in the US, and playing the odds of running into another person still being pretty bleak. I mean it's obviously what, 350x less often than you would see now in real life, but you know what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picci
I thought the video in j3nkins29 post was telling...Heck I think all 3 from Gamespot was very informative.

To put this in simplistic terms, this is what I'm discovering in their message.

1- You and I buy the game and we pretty much start it off.

2- We decide if we want to be explorers, bounty hunters, traders, etc.etc.....

3- Lets say we both pick explorers and we travel with the spaceship we're given which is a tier 1 type.

4- You travel through the universe towards the east, I travel west. (we don't necessarily need to find the center of the galaxy)

5- You find a moon, its dark, it has strange invisible creatures, it lacks breathable atmosphere. You would then put in DATA in whatever they provide for us. This data is now visible to me. It will show me the coordinates, what you discovered. Other people may visit this moon and add more data and information.

6- In my adventures traveling west, I find a planet. I put in it's coordinates. It has beautiful lush meadows and springs. The planet is inhabited with model-like women. They've never seen a male before. I put in my findings in my data bank that you can now access.

7- You're on a quest to find this planet.

Say if you were a hunter, and your employer wants a T-Rex for their zoo. Either there's information for you in a data bank that was previously discovered that you will need to go to, or you would have to travel to find it.

They did mention that down the road there will be multi-player but its not known yet what this may have.
I know about the database stuff and that you could upgrade your gear. Did not know you could trade with other people to get stuff. I know you explore the game and choose what you want to be.

The only thing that confuse me is that the Developer makes is seem like it one big pool full of other players, which plays the game along side you, that you could interact with. Like they could attack you, accompany you to a planet, help you defend something, and more. One thing I heard him say is you could destroy all the lifeforms on a planet and leave it lifeless for other to see.

From that it made me think that you could stop people from doing this, but it does not seem like it if they are gonna put multiplayer in the game later.

My question is can you see and interact with other players or does the game only have online features?
Old 07-15-2014, 11:16 AM   #63
MVP

Picci's Arena

Quote:
My question is can you see and interact with other players or does the game only have online features?
You maybe able to see another ship, say Blzer's or mine but your not going to interact with us. Nor will we be able to follow you or us. Much of the mechanics will be "INGAME" that we will make decisions by ourselves. They've kept it secret for a purpose. They want us to be the story tellers.

Much of this assumption is what I'm taking from these 3 videos and how much they're telling us. This is an area that we gamers I don't believe have ever been at. They're saying a single planet, such as earth, that a million of us would by busy discovering, let alone a whole galaxy.

Give you another scenario. You're a pilot who needs to mine for certain materials that was discovered by another gamer on a moon somewhere in the galaxy. You search the NO Mans Sky database to find out where is this moon and what's its name. The reports tells about what the environment was like and its inhabitants. As you read this data, you discover that other pilots that have been there too have encountered an alien race that resulted in battle. This report may even suggest that some pilots were lost and presumed destroyed. You need this material so now you have options to make. Should I go there, slip in and out, by having all the necessary equipment all ready in place? Should I go find this resource somewhere else? Should I try to make contact with this alien race and see if I can make peace and trade peaceful? Were the alien race protecting this mineral for their purpose? Should I be equipped to destroy this alien race by having a superior battle cruiser and go into battle with them? The beauty is we don't know and we'll need to find out.

Maybe down the road in multiplayer, you can have a team go with you?

Like I said, if Hello Games does this right, it's unprecedented.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:13 PM   #64
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

So wait.....

In that scenario he described regarding someone killing all life on a planet, does thts affect my game or just theirs? Maybe I skipped over a sentence or just am not grasping the MMO elements here.

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »