Home

Dallas Cowboys War Room

This is a discussion on Dallas Cowboys War Room within the NFL Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football > NFL Official Team Threads
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 01-24-2024, 03:24 PM   #5425
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Dallas Cowboys War Room

Additionally regarding Micah, apparently a high percentage of his sacks are coming in September-October in a three year trend. It stands to reason that he’s wearing down each year banging around the LOS.

People are infatuated with sacks and pass rush. And Micah likely wants to rush exclusively bc of the contract ramifications. But something there def needs addressing and I hope we have the coaching staff that can do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2024, 08:13 PM   #5426
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Maybe there's something that can be adjusted with Parsons; as long as he's rushing the quarterback I don't care where he lines up. I just don't think it's the primary or even secondary concern with the defense.

Per D Magazine, the Cowboys' defense recorded 155 "splash plays", where a splash play is a sack, interception, a forced fumble, a 4th down stop, or tackle for loss; 155 was good for 3rd in the league.

The Cowboys defense was also a top 10 pass defense by success rate allowed. Success rate is a measure of how often offenses move the ball in a way that is likely to or does generate first downs or touchdowns; a higher success rate generally means a more productive and more consistent offense on a down-to-down basis. So the Cowboys' pass defense checking in as a top 10 in success rate allowed means they were pretty good at preventing opposing offenses from consistently gaining first downs and touchdowns.

The same Cowboys defense was dead last in the NFL in success rate allowed against designed run plays.

The problem with the 2023-24 Dallas Cowboys was the run defense. It is the glaring issue this football team must address this offseason. We're just shifting things on the margins if we're discussing changing anything else before figuring out how to improve one of the worst run defenses in football.

EDIT: just a footnote, PFF gave Micah Parsons a rush defense season grade of 65.9; that's not great, but it's also better than any other defensive lineman or linebacker on the team who played at least 110 snaps against a designed run play not named Demarcus Lawrence (92.2 rush defense grade, Tank was his usual bulwark self). Among the various defensive starters and contributors with significantly worse rush defense grades are Damone Clark (56.8), Markquese Bell (62.7), Jonathan Hankins (52.4), Mazi Smith (31.8), Neville Gallimore (54.6), Chauncey Goldston (49.9), and Dorance Armstrong (58.1).

Last edited by CM Hooe; 01-24-2024 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-25-2024, 09:21 AM   #5427
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
The problem with the 2023-24 Dallas Cowboys was the run defense. It is the glaring issue this football team must address this offseason. We're just shifting things on the margins if we're discussing changing anything else before figuring out how to improve one of the worst run defenses in football.
I think that’s part of the conversation with Micah though. He gets run at regularly and when he’s not targeted, teams are bringing tight ends around backside of the formation to pick him off.

If you back him off the LOS, you can rush him from multiple spots and also take advantage of his ability to run/chase the ball. Thats the best Micah to me, but he exhibits some selfishness that suggests moving him back to more LB might be a tough sell.

And certainly someone would have to fill that pass rush void as D-Law is getting older and we don’t know if Sam Williams is mature enough for full time snaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 01-25-2024, 11:19 AM   #5428
MVP

fugazi's Arena

OVR: 15

He could still rush 2-3 out of 4 downs...

Having a change-up to go with a fastball is a good thing. His alignment and duties need to be mixed so as to cause more problems for the opposing O.

It's also abundantly clear and proven that he is a shell of himself in the last third of the season.
Old 01-26-2024, 04:52 PM   #5429
MVP

adriano's Arena

OVR: 8

I saw an article that the Cowboys and Eagles reached out to see
if Bill had any interest in the job. He declined, he had no interest.

I wanted Vrabel. Wesley Woodyard had some good insight as to
why he was let go.. Here is his take..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm6e3U79_VI

He points out some good things and some bad things about Vrabel.
Woodyard on one hand talks smack about him, then when asked
how would he rate him from 1 to 10. He gave him an 8

Kinda a weird take on Vrabel from Woodyard. Interesting though.

Last edited by adriano; 02-02-2024 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-02-2024, 05:32 PM   #5430
MVP

adriano's Arena

OVR: 8

https://twitter.com/DakToCD88/status...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Cowboys are interviewing Vrabel for DC.

Last edited by adriano; 02-02-2024 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-13-2024, 03:57 PM   #5431
MVP

fugazi's Arena

OVR: 15

Is Dallas' cap situation so tight that they can't go after ANY of these solid/decent FAs and otherwise available players?

I hope Demarcus Lawrence is well-rested for next season.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2024, 09:42 PM   #5432
Your Go-to TV Expert

Scott's Arena

OVR: 52

Eric Kendricks changed his mind from SF to DAL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football > NFL Official Team Threads »