Home

5 Overrated Aspects of NFL 2k5

This is a discussion on 5 Overrated Aspects of NFL 2k5 within the NFL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 04-18-2022, 04:06 PM   #9
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: 5 Overrated Aspects of NFL 2k5

As a former EA fan boy, I can tell you that I wasn't fond of 2k5 when it first came out. It was a game that felt totally different to Madden 05 and as a fanboy I had that game on a short leash so to speak. I didn't come to appreciate that game until years later once, I broke away from being strictly EA. I will say this, 18 years later, I love 2k5 and Madden 05/07 equally and for different reasons:

1) I love Madden 05/07's Franchise Mode. I just do. I love that Owner Mode is tied to it. I love the Player Morale, the fact that players can hold out. I love that you can control 1 team or 32 teams if you choose to. I love that you can make 32 Created Teams/Rosters/Stadiums/Uniforms and import all 32 into a Franchise Mode and have a fictional league if you want to. I love the things that people call "fluff" like the Tony Bruno Show and the Local and National Newspapers simply because they were in there. I loved the Position battles, Player Roles and the Gameplay was good for it's time. To me Madden 05-07 had the deepest Franchise Modes ever in football games.

I love 2k5 because the overall package felt more like authentic NFL football. I loved the challenge system. You could challenge anything and the AI would too...and you could see valid evidence in the replay. Here is only one example of what I mean...

In that play the AI challenged whether the player stepped out of bounds on the interception return. That's something that as of now, you never see in Madden. There are bang bang plays in football, and 2k5's challenging system was top notch. I loved/still love their ESPN presentation package. They used the ESPN license to the full. It wasn't just that Chris Berman did the halftime show. But, they used the real highlights from the game that was being played. It was the Chris Berman weekly wrap up show. It was Mel Kiper doing pre-draft and post draft analysis. It was Trey Wingo covering the offseason stuff. I loved the fact that 2k5 has what it appears that EA is about to implement in Madden 23..."Hit Everything"...if it is what I think it is then it's something that was in 2k football 18-20 years ago. You could hit a received well before the ball arrived if you wanted to and PI's would be called accordingly. If you wanted to hit a guy late out of bounds you could do it if you wanted to and unnecessary roughness was called accordingly. It took a while for me to get used to player movement on 2k5 because it was so different than Madden; but I came to appreciate it.

2) I will say that the Franchise Mode could have been better and I believe it would have if they would have continued to make the game past 2004. I loved the fact that Franchise Mode had Weekly Prep, but it was broken...either that or I have never been able to figure out how it properly works. The Sim stats were wacky. If you set simulation minutes to 15 min. quarters, at the end of the season you would have the leading rusher rushing for 5,000 yards, the leading pass catcher at 3,000 and the leading QB passing for like 9,000 yards in a season. Also, the amount of customization in game was limited.

Thankfully, for both games, we had people in the communities here and at Football Idiots who made editors for both so that both can still be enjoyed.

I'm kind of confused why the OP decided to make this thread though on an NFL 2k5 forum? Is it to lift up Madden at the expense of 2k5? That could be done on the Madden forum right? I'm willing to wager if a 2k5 post was made on the Madden forum it would get locked. I've also seen the OP post these same things on a different thread as well so...
Old 04-18-2022, 05:29 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpanalley
You can't talk about definitive objective terms like "overrated" and then give opinions. Well, you can, but you defy the objective analysis you're attempting to give.

The fact is this is all personal opinion.
1. ALL sports game commentary sucks. But that the 2K5 commentary is still listenable is extraordinary. And I would argue, it's precisely because they were actors. Their style may seem outdated to us now, but have you heard what younger commentators sound like today? They're awful. (...there's subjective for you).
2. I HATE franchise modes for over-complexity. So I love the simplistic nature of franchise in 2K5 where you can ignore everything and it doesn't matter because I only play one season. I hate games that interfere in my experience forcing me to do stupid fantasy things like talk to scouts. And I know LOTS of people like this.
3. The base fundamental AI and physics of 2K5 are miles above most Maddens of the last 10 years and I'll tell you what, I'm actually not delusional despite your diagnosis because it's my opinion which is actually even relatively provable. (Again, opinion... but my point is to prove your view that it is overrated wrong. And if I can do that, then even on a simplistic level it renders your assessment purely subjective.)
4. I don't know how old you were when the game came out, but nobody thought The Crib was anything more than a silly add-on used to cash in on what was a very very rampant and saturated celeb TV market at the time. I don't know who you've heard talk about it, but nobody I knew at the time or since then has given one ounce of thought to the mode. But, again, just to go back to your assessment of the game's overratedness: how can your opinion be a reason the game lacks validity as a highly rated game?
5. First person football was actually a throwback if you know gaming history a bit. Early-mid 90s particularly on PC had lots of polygon graphics titles and the assumption was the first person view in a 3D world was the future of gaming. Distinctive Gaming sort of pioneered this with 4D Boxing but several other sports games had some mode of putting you in a first person view, expanding on the view from PunchOut (the original arcade game, not the NES one). So by 2004, lots of games had played with this idea unsuccessfully and abandoned it as a legitimate way of playing. In 2K5 it was considered a bit of a fun, slightly silly feature. More of a fun experience, like instant replay was, of seeing things rendered in first person view and getting a different perspective on the field. Again, nobody I knew then or now thought of it as anything more than that. So, it wasn't actually ahead of its time at all, it was more of an acceptably quirky, out of date, throwback.

The only part where you're categorically 'wrong' -- and even there you're entitled to your opinion -- is in the thinking that the game was never intended as a "truer" simulation of NFL football. That's in fact what 2Ks whole drive was with their sports titles back then. EASports went for fun, easy to pick up, and also thorough representation of the facets of league management, but 2K went for physics and on-field reality. Be it in their MLB, NBA, or College titles, often at the expense of better graphics.

Anyway, of course my opinions are opinions and have nothing to do with anything. But I think you're getting the responses you're getting because, and only because, you literally say "this is why it's overrated" and then go on to state opinions about things you aren't fond of in the game. You even go as far as saying, 'and if you think I'm wrong you're basically nuts'. So, anyway. I would say, then don't play 2K5 or even waste your time talking about it. All you're gonna get is people annoyed that you don't like it which I would imagine isn't your goal.

1. Not true. Have you played nba 2k? nba 2k11 in particular with Kevin Harlan and Clark Kellogg was great and you felt like you were watching a real nba broadcast...Dan Stevens and Peter O’Keefe sounded like 2 guys who knew nothing about the sport of football and “You can’t coach that!” is one of the cheesiest lines i’ve heard in my life...2k5 and 2k8 commentary was generic as it gets...there’s a certain magic in listening to the nba 2k commentary and there’s a reason Kevin Harlan has been in the game for so many years...madden 05’s commentary with John Madden and Al Michaels was much more simulation for the mere fact they were real nfl commentators and despite the implementation not being the best it still gave you the gist of a real nfl broadcast

2. Well it sounds like Madden 13 Connected Careers would’ve been the ideal franchise experience for you then if you truly hate over-complexity in a franchise mode, but your argument here seems more like a biased defense of 2k5’s barebones franchise than an actual argument that madden would be better off if they did what 2k5 did with franchise

3. I still play 2k5 from time to time because I enjoy going back and playing old sports games for the fun factor and i’ve even watched videos of 2k5 resurrected and I can tell you the game on the field looks severely outdated and stuck in 2005...Apf 2k8 isn’t much better as its simply a more streamlined version of 2k5 and everyone here knows deep down 2k8 could’ve been so much better than it was had 2k put the resources they put into nba 2k in apf2k8

4. I’ve watched numerous 2k5 retrospective videos and The Crib always gets brought up as a cool feature that really added something to the game...at this point people should go back to nba 2k5 and crown that as the greatest nba video game of all time since it had the crib, the vip system as well as Espn licensing lol

5. Still another feature that gets brought up in every 2k5 discussion...like I said im still waiting for the espn nba 2k5 feature-by-feature dissection so we can officially name it “the greatest basketball game ever” lmao

I actually LIKE nfl 2k5 and its a fun game to go back to and play every once in a while but I can’t fathom how nearly 20 years later the game still gets compared to madden as if madden hasn’t surpassed it in nearly every facet despite madden being a perpetually underwhelming game...my theory on why nfl 2k5 has achieved immortal status is because
madden 06 was a huge f*ck up and really skewed peoples’ perspectives on the series as a whole, not only due to the games many shortcomings but because people were upset that EA had signed the exclusive license and these same people have held a bias against EA Sports ever since despite the NFL itself being the main perpetrator here

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 04-18-2022, 05:36 PM   #11
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelPhenom
As a former EA fan boy, I can tell you that I wasn't fond of 2k5 when it first came out. It was a game that felt totally different to Madden 05 and as a fanboy I had that game on a short leash so to speak. I didn't come to appreciate that game until years later once, I broke away from being strictly EA. I will say this, 18 years later, I love 2k5 and Madden 05/07 equally and for different reasons:

1) I love Madden 05/07's Franchise Mode. I just do. I love that Owner Mode is tied to it. I love the Player Morale, the fact that players can hold out. I love that you can control 1 team or 32 teams if you choose to. I love that you can make 32 Created Teams/Rosters/Stadiums/Uniforms and import all 32 into a Franchise Mode and have a fictional league if you want to. I love the things that people call "fluff" like the Tony Bruno Show and the Local and National Newspapers simply because they were in there. I loved the Position battles, Player Roles and the Gameplay was good for it's time. To me Madden 05-07 had the deepest Franchise Modes ever in football games.

I love 2k5 because the overall package felt more like authentic NFL football. I loved the challenge system. You could challenge anything and the AI would too...and you could see valid evidence in the replay. Here is only one example of what I mean...

In that play the AI challenged whether the player stepped out of bounds on the interception return. That's something that as of now, you never see in Madden. There are bang bang plays in football, and 2k5's challenging system was top notch. I loved/still love their ESPN presentation package. They used the ESPN license to the full. It wasn't just that Chris Berman did the halftime show. But, they used the real highlights from the game that was being played. It was the Chris Berman weekly wrap up show. It was Mel Kiper doing pre-draft and post draft analysis. It was Trey Wingo covering the offseason stuff. I loved the fact that 2k5 has what it appears that EA is about to implement in Madden 23..."Hit Everything"...if it is what I think it is then it's something that was in 2k football 18-20 years ago. You could hit a received well before the ball arrived if you wanted to and PI's would be called accordingly. If you wanted to hit a guy late out of bounds you could do it if you wanted to and unnecessary roughness was called accordingly. It took a while for me to get used to player movement on 2k5 because it was so different than Madden; but I came to appreciate it.

2) I will say that the Franchise Mode could have been better and I believe it would have if they would have continued to make the game past 2004. I loved the fact that Franchise Mode had Weekly Prep, but it was broken...either that or I have never been able to figure out how it properly works. The Sim stats were wacky. If you set simulation minutes to 15 min. quarters, at the end of the season you would have the leading rusher rushing for 5,000 yards, the leading pass catcher at 3,000 and the leading QB passing for like 9,000 yards in a season. Also, the amount of customization in game was limited.

Thankfully, for both games, we had people in the communities here and at Football Idiots who made editors for both so that both can still be enjoyed.

I'm kind of confused why the OP decided to make this thread though on an NFL 2k5 forum? Is it to lift up Madden at the expense of 2k5? That could be done on the Madden forum right? I'm willing to wager if a 2k5 post was made on the Madden forum it would get locked. I've also seen the OP post these same things on a different thread as well so...

well we can agree on certain things I could see...my point of making this thread and speaking out on 2k5 as a whole is to give a alternate perspective on the game with facts to back it up...2k5 was a very flawed but fun game and as you could see in the madden forum the madden vs 2k discussion is alive and well

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2022, 06:19 PM   #12
Rookie

You lost ALL credibility for saying Madden has better gameplay. Madden’s gameplay is horrible. Even real NFL players bash how bad it is.
Old 04-18-2022, 09:47 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

What facts have you used to back up your opinions?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Old 04-18-2022, 10:26 PM   #14
MVP

noplace's Arena

OVR: 13

Definitely stepped out of bounds but those animations and physics.. ..... 😳

Nebraska Cornhuskers
Washington Redskins
Miami Heat
Old 04-19-2022, 02:40 AM   #15
Rookie

5 Overrated Aspects of NFL 2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by testyourmight
You lost ALL credibility for saying Madden has better gameplay. Madden’s gameplay is horrible. Even real NFL players bash how bad it is.

Stay stuck in a delusional mindset, I could care less...Madden of course could be better gameplay-wise but 2k5 looks archaic in 2022

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2022, 02:43 AM   #16
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
What facts have you used to back up your opinions?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Well it is a fact that player progression and game prep were broken in 2k5...guess you didn’t read my post very well

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K »