Home

PS2 CPU vs CPU Sliders (cdcool)

This is a discussion on PS2 CPU vs CPU Sliders (cdcool) within the NCAA Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 08-13-2007, 12:53 AM   #41
Slider Guru

cdcool's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: PS2 CPU vs CPU Sliders (cdcool)

I will get the number of plays for the next game, forgot that, but I did notice that the number of plays were in a reasonable range.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2007, 02:24 AM   #42
Rookie

I've noticed also that CPU vs. CPU playcalling for either team tends to prioritize the most experienced players on offense and their respective area, especially in high pressure situations or when the offense is really aggressive.

For example, USC threw the ball so much most likely because John David Booty is a senior. I've done some Texas runs lately and they pass more often it seems because of Billy Pittman and Limas Sweed, both seniors, leading the offense in terms of seniority and skill. On that same note, I'm pretty sure that teams like Oregon State with Yvenson Bernard, a senior RB, would run more for that same reason.

That might also explain how the passing game always seems to be the priority in the playcalling. Most of the time, at least in my experience, the running game isn't a consistent presence most likely because even if you have a senior stud RB you can still pass to him as a receiver, which the AI will sub him out wide and do when they pass.

Also, since most playbooks have more than enough formations that are good matchups in the passing game, teams just pass more often than not.

I know, cdcool, you are working your *** off to get the best results without tweaking coaching strategy, but for those of you who want to (since this is the only active CPU vs. CPU ps2 thread), I would suggest using two profiles for the home and visiting team and tweaking the two teams' playbooks in the following direction via create-a-playbook with both profiles:

3 running formations, 6 balanced, 3 passing

This, of course, is completely and totally optional but I've gotten better running and passing balance out of this and I think you will to. As far as what a running, balanced or passing formation is here are my rules:

Running- 2 tight ends with an H-back, fullback, or twins to a side (ex. Ace-Big Twins) NOTHING IN SHOTGUN

The H-back and fullback take the formation into running strength b/c you have created 8 gaps and an extra blocker and the twins gives it running strength b/c the side not covered in man coverage has bounce outside for huge yards potential and the twins side has strength in numbers. In NCAA, not a single shotgun formation has proven to be a running strength formation due to the awkward handoffs and blocking schemes and superior passing strength due to the included dropback

Balanced- Ace-Big, 1 tight end 3 WR sets, 2 back 1 TE 2 WR sets NOTHING IN SHOTGUN

These are the "base" type formations that can pass and run effectively because they're jack of all trades, master of none types. Again, shotgun is prohibited in a balanced formation because of how much better it is by design in the passing game.

Passing- Any formation without a tight end and all shotgun formations
These formations are the ones that cannot be matched up against outside of dime and nickel which, even then, without similar athletes at CB, is difficult to match up against. I don't include the pistol as a balanced set because the pistol is still used like a shotgun set by the AI

Now I say 3 running formations, 6 balanced, and 3 passing formations because:
the running formations vary the CPU's short yardage and running scenario repertoire,
the 6 balanced formations keep the running game alive and contributes to play action
the limitation to 3 passing formation allows them to use a passing scheme but not enough formations to make that passing scheme the entire game's playcalling set. Perfect examples of this are spread offenses, which I've noted in previous posts as broken. The formation strength of all 4 WR sets is the passing game which the game exploits much more effectively than the running game even though real teams can run very well out of those formations. The complete nonexistence of Presnap reads by the offense contributes greatly to this, but the formation strength is also a factor.

Now how does this translate?

You can actually keep the system you have in coaching settings because the concepts you use in the passing game will be limited to a degree and the running game will be featured more which balances out west coast teams. Spread offenses using this will shift more towards a Charlie Weis Notre Dame/Patriots offense look having those spread concepts used but with more power sets. If you want to keep their playbooks intact, just use the option run for that particular game and shift it back to spread offense.

Overall, you should see a much more featured running game.

Hope that helps you guys

Last edited by Jakers22TB; 08-13-2007 at 02:32 AM.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:38 AM   #43
Slider Guru

cdcool's Arena

[Quote from Jakers22TB] I've noticed also that CPU vs. CPU playcalling for either team tends to prioritize the most experienced players on offense and their respective area, especially in high pressure situations or when the offense is really aggressive. [End of Quote]

Jakers22TB, Thanks for the info. I will continue my quest as I started, I can live with fact that teams will use ther best players to make plays.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:58 AM   #44
Rookie

OVR: 5

cdcool, I have been having good results with the Def Aw at 40 and the Brk Blk & Tackle at 50 and everything else similar to yours except at 8 minutes. I don't think my Run Ab & Run Blk are quite that high. I'm at work and can't check. The only other difference is I increase the running plays % by 5 under Coaching Sliders to get a few more running plays and keep the clock moving. With the Def Aw at this level the defense doesn't seem to react quite as fast to option plays resulting in less TFLs. Even Navy's Flexbone works good which was always a probably in the past for me. I did the Temple vs Navy game and Navy ran for over 300 yds but Temple threw for over 300 yds and won the game 38-35. I have started my season with these sliders and have had good results with the first 8 games (didn't play the D-1AA games). Thanks for starting this thread. Nice to know I'm not the only one that likes to do cpu vs cpu games.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:58 AM   #45
Slider Guru

cdcool's Arena

Here is another game with the new adjusted sliders, everything looks good, pass percenatage was a bit high for Boise 70%, other then that Im happy thus far. I will test a few more and hopefully this will be my final set.

Score: Southern 17 Boise 41
Total Plays 99
Run Plays: Southern 32 - 113 yds
Boise 28 - 288 yds
Longest run was 81 yds by Boise HB
Pass Plays: Southern 9-17 124 yds; 1 TD
Boise 15-22-196 yds; 2 TDs

Penalties: NO PENALITIES

Sacked: Southern 2

Southern Intercepted 1, Fumbles 2

Tackles for Loss: Southern 2
Boise 7
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2007, 02:49 AM   #46
Slider Guru

cdcool's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaf8
cdcool, I have been having good results with the Def Aw at 40 and the Brk Blk & Tackle at 50 and everything else similar to yours except at 8 minutes. I don't think my Run Ab & Run Blk are quite that high. I'm at work and can't check. The only other difference is I increase the running plays % by 5 under Coaching Sliders to get a few more running plays and keep the clock moving. With the Def Aw at this level the defense doesn't seem to react quite as fast to option plays resulting in less TFLs. Even Navy's Flexbone works good which was always a probably in the past for me. I did the Temple vs Navy game and Navy ran for over 300 yds but Temple threw for over 300 yds and won the game 38-35. I have started my season with these sliders and have had good results with the first 8 games (didn't play the D-1AA games). Thanks for starting this thread. Nice to know I'm not the only one that likes to do cpu vs cpu games.
Sounds like you have a good set, I will be posting another game shortly, with my latest, Im pretty satisfied with the results thus far., Us CPU vs CPU guys need to sick together
Old 08-14-2007, 03:00 AM   #47
Slider Guru

cdcool's Arena

Here is another game with the adjusted 7 minute Sliders, Rushing yards were low for this game., but not in the previous.

Score: LSU #6 42 Tulane 7
Total Plays 109
Run Plays: LSU 14-39 yds
Tulane 28-43 yds

Longest run was 61 yds by Tulane HB
Pass Plays: LSU 17-30 318 yds; 3 TD
Tulane 20-36-206 yds; 1 TD

Penalties: LSU 1-5 yards
Sacked: LSU 2
Tulane 5

LSU Intercepted 1, Fumbles 4
Tulane Intercepted 2, Fumbles 1

Tackles for Loss: LSU 13
Tulane 2
Old 08-15-2007, 10:44 PM   #48
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakers22TB
Important thing if you want to run a Dynasty using the ideas I put up:

The offense type determines how the school recruits and if you don't shift the offense back to spread offense if that's the change you made they will recruit differently, especially if you use option run because of how the minimum number of position players changes with each.

Here are the minimum skill position players each offense requires so you know:

Balanced and West Coast
3 HB, 2 FB, 5 WR, 2 TE
Spread Offense
3 HB, 1 FB, 6 WR, 2 TE
Option Run
3 HB, 2 FB, 4 WR, 3 TE
Flexbone
4 HB, 2 FB, 3 WR, 2 TE

It doesn't look like much of a change but the QBs recruited are also different. Pocket passers are primarily recruited by west coast schools, scramblers by option run, and balanced QBs for balanced and spread offense schools.

Basically, just make sure you change back to the base offense type if you don't want to alter the school's recruiting and roster over time.

Also, it's a good idea to use conservative sliders all the way to the left for offense and defense but it isn't totally necessary. I've seen good playcalling either way but max conservative has QBs read the D better and make better decisions. Mid to high Aggressive, as far as I have seen, has the offense calling vertical passing plays most of the time and not much intermediate and short, which is going to lead to more interceptions and some ugly football games. The running game is also featured more because the time management is better. Defensively, you'll see them in deep coverage most of the time which means you won't have as many 70000 yard touchdown passes/runs.
Jakers...
Do you leave all the teams at default offense type and just change the one you are playing? Then you change them back to whatever they were originally after the game...correct? As far as maxing the offense & defense sliders to conservative, is this done for all teams prior to the beginning of the season, or is it also only done against the teams you play?

I have tried a couple of games doing this and find it interesting. The play calling seems much more accurate.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders »