Home

PS2 CPU vs CPU Sliders (cdcool)

This is a discussion on PS2 CPU vs CPU Sliders (cdcool) within the NCAA Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 08-06-2007, 07:00 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: PS2 CPU vs CPU Sliders (cdcool)

If anyone's using these for Dynasty I highly recommend something I did last night that will make a huge difference in getting a realistic game.

I've found out that the offense type under the coach's strategy menu has a huge effect on how the A.I. calls plays and, consequently, how the stats play out.
There are 5 different ones: balanced, west coast, spread offense, flexbone, and option run. The problem you may be and probably are running into with stats and offense is teams that use the spread offense and the west coast that are supposed to be 50/50 or so running and passing. The A.I. in simulation and in gameplay are both flawed for these offenses, which can be and are very balanced in playcalling in real life. So you have to make adjustments if you want good results

Basically, in coach's settings if you have a team you are using or playing in Dynasty that isn't using the balanced offense type in all situations you must modify the offense type for those teams in order to get even semidecent stats.

So what do you do? That depends on the offense the team runs and I've done the homework for you so you don't have to research it.

The offense run is listed to the left and the appropriate offense type in NCAA is listed to the right

Spread option (Oklahoma State, Florida, etc.) Option Run
West Coast (USC, UCLA, Stanford, etc.) Balanced
Run and Shoot (Hawaii, New Mexico State, etc.) West Coast
Texas Tech

The reasons for the adjustments are:

Option run for spread option because the running game in Meyer's offense and Mike Gundy's offense is dependent on QB mobility and the option game with your wide receivers and RBs. Alex Smith's last season featured him as a runner and passer and you can bet Tim Tebow will be running the offense like that for at least the next 2 years. If your teams uses the spread offense and it's 50/50 and you don't know if it's a spread option team or not, balanced is just fine.

Balanced for West Coast teams because the running game is abandoned in the west coast offense type in NCAA. The concepts of the West Coast are still incorporated in the game, especially the use of play action, but the team will actually run the ball as much as they're supposed to in this setup.

West Coast for heavy passing teams because of how the QB makes better reads and the running game's efficiency. I know teams like Hawaii and Tech don't run much but the spread offense type only runs with the QB, even if it's a lead statue in the backfield. West coast gets the ball to the running back which is how those teams do it anyway.

You may consider using the spread offense or balanced for heavy passing teams as well, which will get similar results. But the reason I like west coast for those teams is because the QB makes better reads in the west coast. Spread offense, to it's credit does use the drag route a lot which is very effective and balanced will give you a more vertical passing look. It's your call on heavy passing teams but the first two modifications are crucial.

Also, if you have any doubt about what you should use outside of my advice, balanced is always a good one to use for any offense type, because it runs and passes as much as the team actually would and uses all running concepts under center and from shotgun.

Hope that helps you guys
Old 08-06-2007, 07:04 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 1

Hey Fistofrage, thanks for your input. I think I am going to stick with cdcool's sliders for CPU vs. CPU games, but I will definitely use your penalty sliders with his AI sliders. Thanks again.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:23 PM   #35
MVP

OSUPiper's Arena

OVR: 8

Great info, Jakers22TB!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2007, 07:49 PM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 1

Thanks Jakers for the information, I'll have to try that out. Hey cdcool, the more I think about it, I think the AI settings are ok as you have them....I have only seen one game that had a total of 12 sacks and have yet to see that again in a game. This is college football and anything can happen so 12 sacks in one game might not be too far-fetched.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:47 PM   #37
Rookie

Important thing if you want to run a Dynasty using the ideas I put up:

The offense type determines how the school recruits and if you don't shift the offense back to spread offense if that's the change you made they will recruit differently, especially if you use option run because of how the minimum number of position players changes with each.

Here are the minimum skill position players each offense requires so you know:

Balanced and West Coast
3 HB, 2 FB, 5 WR, 2 TE
Spread Offense
3 HB, 1 FB, 6 WR, 2 TE
Option Run
3 HB, 2 FB, 4 WR, 3 TE
Flexbone
4 HB, 2 FB, 3 WR, 2 TE

It doesn't look like much of a change but the QBs recruited are also different. Pocket passers are primarily recruited by west coast schools, scramblers by option run, and balanced QBs for balanced and spread offense schools.

Basically, just make sure you change back to the base offense type if you don't want to alter the school's recruiting and roster over time.

Also, it's a good idea to use conservative sliders all the way to the left for offense and defense but it isn't totally necessary. I've seen good playcalling either way but max conservative has QBs read the D better and make better decisions. Mid to high Aggressive, as far as I have seen, has the offense calling vertical passing plays most of the time and not much intermediate and short, which is going to lead to more interceptions and some ugly football games. The running game is also featured more because the time management is better. Defensively, you'll see them in deep coverage most of the time which means you won't have as many 70000 yard touchdown passes/runs.

Last edited by Jakers22TB; 08-06-2007 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:46 AM   #38
Slider Guru

cdcool's Arena

Updated PS2 CPU vs CPU Sliders (cdcool)

Double posted sorry
Old 08-13-2007, 12:47 AM   #39
Slider Guru

cdcool's Arena

Updated PS2 CPU vs CPU Sliders (cdcool)

Ok, Guy's after a considerable amount of testing I have made several major changes to my sliders.
I'm moving to 7 min, yes 7 min, 8 and 9 minutes are not working for me , the number plays are less but are still in the ball park, and the stats are more realistic, I used 7 min last year.

Quarter Length: 7 minutes
Skill Level: Varsity
HFA Off

OFFENSE
QB Accuracy: 45
Pass Blocking: 60
WR Catching: 40
RB Ability: 99
Run Blocking: 99
DEFENSE
Awareness: 70
Knockdowns: 99
Interceptions: 0
Break Block: 0
Tackling: 20
SPECIAL TEAMS
Field Goal Length: 0
FG Accuracy: 0
Punt Length: 40
Punt Accuracy: 0
Kickoff Length: 50
All Penalties Maxed except holding 80

The below USC and Washing game are with the new adjusted sliders

Score: USC 29 #5 Washington 14

Run Plays: USC 18 - 36 yds
Washington 18 - 63 yds
Longest run was 71 yds by Washington HB
Pass Plays: USC 34-52 435 yds; 1 TD
Washington 10-18-149 yds; 1 TDs

Penalties: USC 1-9 yds
Washington 3-28

Sacked: USC 2
Texas 5

USC 0 Interceptios
Washington 2 Fumble 0 Interceptions

Tackles for Loss: USC 10
Washington 5

Passing % are good, sacks are good Rushing yards are low for this game.
Please test a fwe game sand let me know your results,.Thanks for the support.

Last edited by cdcool; 08-13-2007 at 12:52 AM.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:49 AM   #40
Slider Guru

cdcool's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound1981
Thanks Jakers for the information, I'll have to try that out. Hey cdcool, the more I think about it, I think the AI settings are ok as you have them....I have only seen one game that had a total of 12 sacks and have yet to see that again in a game. This is college football and anything can happen so 12 sacks in one game might not be too far-fetched.
Thanks, try the adjustmnets I made.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders »