Home

PS2 CPU vs CPU Sliders (cdcool)

This is a discussion on PS2 CPU vs CPU Sliders (cdcool) within the NCAA Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 07-25-2007, 11:12 PM   #9
Slider Guru

cdcool's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: PS2 CPU vs CPU Sliders (cdcool)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaf8
1st game using Holding at 80 and Def Aware at 70

Not bad but running needs to be better than 2 ypc.
Running is better than 2 YPC, run another game, you can't base the sliders on one game.

Run Plays: WVU 56 - 237 yds
Marsh 19 - 78 yds
Old 07-26-2007, 03:46 AM   #10
Rookie

I have a thread on CPU vs. CPU but I don't have the time to run game after game testing sliders working full time so I'm going to help out on this thread when I can.

After tweaking settings around, I'd recommend for your testing using max conservative offensive settings from Coaching Settings in Dynasty. You'll get more stable playcalling and the offense won't completely abandon the run (if they have a balanced offense) when it's behind like how some of the games I saw and you guys have recorded on here have played out.

Defensively, I've noticed that max conservative reduces how much they get in the backfield, which will help stabilize rushing stats. It also reduces the likelihood of 70 or 80 yard pass plays since they're using base cover 2/3/4 and not Cover 0 blitz packages all the time, which get burned if the corner screws up which happens all the time in real life but especially in video game football.

The defense really isn't much a problem slider wise in coaching settings though, because when you think about it offense will find a way to compensate for defensive aggressiveness, especially a spread or west coast offense that has a lot of options throwing the ball. The issue I've seen A.I. wise is when the offense is all hurried and goes for the big play...all game long. A max conservative offense will score just as much as a aggressive offense in NCAA just with better efficiency and, in my opinion, more realistic gameplay.

So basically max out offense's conservative slider all the way to the left if you want the offense to be more stable.

Slider wise I would definitely recommend 99 catching. I tried this a few games and it works wonders for those drops. They don't lead to huge plays either just consistent catching.

Ran a game with Florida and Texas at both max conservative on offense and with Texas using a Run and Gun spread offense at 60/40 run pass with default defense and the same sliders with 99 catching and got this result:

Texas 51
Total offensive yards 557
Florida 34
Total offensive yards 477

Texas
Rushing att. 31 256 yds
Long 74 yd Jamaal Charles run
Florida
Rushing att. 22 12 yds
Long 12 yd Tim Tebow run

Texas
Passing 21-29 301 yds 3 TDs
Florida
Passing 26-42 465 yds 3 TDs

Penalties
Texas 4 - 75
Florida 3 - 20

Sacks
Texas 7
Florida 3

Turnovers
Texas 0
Florida 2

Tackles for loss
Texas 13
Florida 7

Florida couldn't run to save their life but exploded passing and Texas ran and passed all over Florida. Florida is supposed to be a balanced
team offensively and that didn't show up at all in the game. Maybe it's because Texas' front 7 is loaded and maybe it's because that the defense plays the run as a priority. Overall though I can't complain about the results. Texas ran and ran very well but Florida, without an impact caliber running back to hand off to, was one dimensional and couldn't keep up with Texas. One thing that might lower the yardage
could be making the defense max conservative too. Both teams blitzed a lot even though their aggression was at around 50. The deep ball was clearly there for Florida and Texas had gaping holes to run through with pretty much no one in contain at the start of the game. Charles didn't just have 1 74 yard run he had 2 almost in a row. The game played out well but having a RB get over 140 yards in 4 touches was a little bit of a concern haha. But he got those 2 runs because the defense was in man coverage and he was in the slot motioned out on a sweep. There was his cover guy, a cornerback, that got blocked and the rest of the defense turned around and saw him miles away from them. More conservative defense should limit this kind of explosion offensively because they'll line up with people lined up in zone which is more stable against the run. It was fun to watch the offense run around but it's not how football usually ends up outside of a Hawaii - New Mexico state game. Especially with 2 super-talented defenses like Florida's and Texas'.

Bottom line - max offense and defense conservative or you'll see a very up and down game statistically. For a while it'll look like nothing's going to happen then a 70 yard pass happens. Then a 70 yard run. The sliders probably don't need much if any fixing it's just how the coaching settings affect the gameplay.

Last edited by Jakers22TB; 07-26-2007 at 06:02 AM.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:00 AM   #11
Slider Guru

cdcool's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakers22TB
I have a thread on CPU vs. CPU but I don't have the time to run game after game testing sliders working full time so I'm going to help out on this thread when I can.

After tweaking settings around, I'd recommend for your testing using max conservative offensive settings from Coaching Settings in Dynasty. You'll get more stable playcalling and the offense won't completely abandon the run (if they have a balanced offense) when it's behind like how some of the games I saw and you guys have recorded on here have played out.

Defensively, I've noticed that max conservative reduces how much they get in the backfield, which will help stabilize rushing stats. It also reduces the likelihood of 70 or 80 yard pass plays since they're using base cover 2/3/4 and not Cover 0 blitz packages all the time, which get burned if the corner screws up which happens all the time in real life but especially in video game football.

The defense really isn't much a problem slider wise in coaching settings though, because when you think about it offense will find a way to compensate for defensive aggressiveness, especially a spread or west coast offense that has a lot of options throwing the ball. The issue I've seen A.I. wise is when the offense is all hurried and goes for the big play...all game long. A max conservative offense will score just as much as a aggressive offense in NCAA just with better efficiency and, in my opinion, more realistic gameplay.

So basically max out offense's conservative slider all the way to the left if you want the offense to be more stable.

Slider wise I would definitely recommend 99 catching. I tried this a few games and it works wonders for those drops. They don't lead to huge plays either just consistent catching.

Jakers,

Thanks for the feedback., but I will continue to refine the slider set I'm using, I also have no idea what you are referring too regarding the conservative slider for CPU vs CPU games and maxing it out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2007, 04:12 AM   #12
Slider Guru

cdcool's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakers22TB
Jakers,

You are referring to the coach settings regarding conservative, I wont be adjusting those., depending on the roster set you are using, the settings are there to make the teams play as they would in real life. I believe that multiple combinations of slider settings could give you realistic stats, thats why I'm sticking with mine and refining them. Thanks
Old 07-26-2007, 01:17 PM   #13
MVP

OSUPiper's Arena

OVR: 8

cdcool,

I see what you are saying about sliders set to represent real life tendencies. However, this has always been the case and we know that as far back as 2004 the tendencies just didn't work. The reason is the AI during a game has to be somewhat dynamic and generally ends up overriding the tendency sliders.

I found that you can still get aggressive playcalling on the conservative side of the slider. In 2006, the run/pass slider was broken as well, and it seemed the only realistic values for most teams lay in the 80%-70% Run range.

I will continue to read about your results with interest, but I think you might still consider the possibility that adjusting aggressiveness down may help you get the stats you are looking for.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:14 PM   #14
Slider Guru

cdcool's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUPiper
cdcool,

I see what you are saying about sliders set to represent real life tendencies. However, this has always been the case and we know that as far back as 2004 the tendencies just didn't work. The reason is the AI during a game has to be somewhat dynamic and generally ends up overriding the tendency sliders.

I found that you can still get aggressive playcalling on the conservative side of the slider. In 2006, the run/pass slider was broken as well, and it seemed the only realistic values for most teams lay in the 80%-70% Run range.

I will continue to read about your results with interest, but I think you might still consider the possibility that adjusting aggressiveness down may help you get the stats you are looking for.
Thanks OSUPiper,

Appreciate the info, from my experience there is no such thing as a perfect set of sliders in madden, you just try and get as close to the real averages as possible and I will attempt to do that without adjusting the coaching sliders for every team., some games will be off but overall after playing an entire season of CPU vs CPU games, you can get close to acceptable stats.

The sliders thus far are not bad, but to need to watch a least 10 or more games., and I will continue to tweek them.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:16 PM   #15
Slider Guru

cdcool's Arena

Correction NCAA, but the same does apply to Madden.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2007, 09:34 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 3

I'll also be testing your sliders and will give feedback.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders »