Home

Every basket is a swish now

This is a discussion on Every basket is a swish now within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 01-23-2024, 05:40 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Every basket is a swish now

Went back and played 2K15 on my PS5 and it's incredible, toilet bowl baskets, ball bouncing in the rim and falling. Night and day, looked so much better

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2024, 07:03 PM   #10
MVP

cch99's Arena

OVR: 9

When did they change it? I still have 2k16. Thinking of installing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 01-23-2024, 07:22 PM   #11
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cch99
When did they change it? I still have 2k16. Thinking of installing it.

I looked at 2K17 and it had great variety too, don't know why they took it out. The constant all net baskets are too much

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2024, 08:20 PM   #12
MVP

I’m back to 2K23 and there’s a huge variety of different makes. The exclusive swishes is one of many issues with 2K24.
Old 01-26-2024, 08:02 AM   #13
MVP

cch99's Arena

I played a game of 2k16 last night. The rim interaction was way better. It really makes it feel like 2k24 doesn’t even have real rim physics.

Did a spin towards baseline into a hook shot with Festus Ezeli on the right block. Hit the rim, bounced to the other side, bounced up, sat for a split second then fell in. Had a couple other that dropped in because of rim physics that you never see in 2k24. My guess is they had to nerf rim physics to get greens to ever hit the rim and make sure they go in. Really was enjoyable.

On a side note had a couple 2 on 1 fast breaks as well where the cpu actually went to the hole off ball and I got layups. Looked like try fastbreak.

Old 01-26-2024, 09:12 AM   #14
Rookie

doorknobb's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
They patched make variety into the game last year after complaints that there were too many swishes. Shot timing (greens) has no impact on this.

Not sure what happened this year though, Seems like a design choice.

It feels like they may have tried something around the end of season 2 because for about a week the rim/net wouldn’t move at all. Purely speculation though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They tweaked the order determining whether the shot went in/showing that the shot went in to the player/at what point after the ball is shot can its trajectory still be modified a few times. They can’t really happen at the same time and the most natural way ends up making defense, particular perimeter defense, way harder when there’s latency. This is the first year where they seemed to have settled on a system where a degree of impossible jedi mindtrickery isn’t entirely necessary for the player to contest a shot, but the flip side is really making the underlying mechanics and the appearance of physics essentially detached and since the game largely operates in a black box fashion, it’s also one that would least likely to be regarded widely as a bug but as a feature.

Honestly I doubt there will be a definitive fix since they’re really going for a goldilocks type solution and I guess they’ve landed on this for the year. I think it was 2k21 next-gen when halfcourt shots were almost too easy to make. Since last year they put in animation specific to shooting from the center circle that causes your player to stumble and miss in a manner that I can only conclude so people wouldn’t report the nerfing as a bug over and over again. All these are design choices. They might be weird and sometimes counterintuitive, but goldilocks can easily be written not as “just right” but “wrong for everyone in equal measure in different ways”. I think almost every AAA title studio shoots for that these days. This isn’t Stardew Valley, after all. They also need to onboard new players in an online environment that they know is toxic and problematic and difficult to moderate since the toxicity frequently is linked to their largest sources of income, so this milquetoast but at least working solution seems to at least be the easiest solution. If nobody is happy but no faction is so pissed off as to boycott the game for an actual cause, then they’ve essentially hit the sweet spot.
Old 01-26-2024, 09:44 AM   #15
MVP

cch99's Arena

At the end of the day it comes down to catering to the online crowd. Online crowd wants it to be all about stick skills with no randomness. I am shocked they still call fouls to be honest. That means half-court and beyond shots never go in. Greens always go in. They just make the green area smaller for guys with lower ratings.

I'm guessing Sim guys like most of us here would prefer ratings mattering the most and the user having some input even on shots but realizing you can still get lucky bounces. And, that a player like Shaq isn't going to hit threes at a high rate even If you green it every single time. So they added the shot contest and shot timing sliders. Unfortunately this "balance" they added leads to some really awkward rolls on the rim and basically knowing certain shots are never going in by a lucky bounce or due to rim physics.

I imagine a scenario where there are multiple sets of rim physics is not doable or they have to put resources where they feel are needed the most and haven't figured out how to do it.

One thing about playing 2k16 is it still had simulation or arcade as choices. Playing just one game there were a few things that stood out as I would say better sim-wise. Rim Physics, fast breaks, realistic steals without spamming the steal button.

Last edited by cch99; 01-26-2024 at 10:12 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-30-2024, 03:48 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 10

Prol just to free up resources for game play. They def have the physics, you can tell that by when a pass goes in the basket for points.

It's funny when you have played as big long enough, you know all of the misses. It would be nice to not be entirely sure. They have some really long roll arounds, but you could tell by what shot it was and how it rolled that it was gonna come off or drop in.

Different sorts of makes are just to keep the brain from getting bored. I guess it doesn't matter anymore. But there are a lot of bottoms type shots that are almost as fun to watch as swishes. You know how it can hit the back rim and drop straight down, that's awesome, too.

This is def unacceptable for a sim game. This is something you would expect from their now-defunct competitor.

-Smak

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »