Home

MLB The Show Graphics Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on MLB The Show Graphics Discussion Thread within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 02-15-2024, 11:24 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: MLB The Show Graphics Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconbits11
I'd be happy with the cloth physics and wind effects from MLB 2K7. Along with the stadium exteriors from that game. In fact if it had the gameplay of the Show, I might still be playing MLB 2K7.
Every year I find some rosters for 2K12 being updated for PC and it's always better than The Show. As far as graphics are concerned I'd have been happy with The Show staying right where it was in the PS3 days and where the gameplay was too. If I'm being really honest, I don't think the game has been really fun since PS2.
But those 2K games were amazing, if faulty at times. From about 2K10 they got it figured out enough but those days The Show was a better game.
Old 02-15-2024, 12:02 PM   #10
Rookie

dbekoscke's Arena

OVR: 0

Guess I'll repost my thoughts from the other thread (long post, sorry):

I agree with the general consensus in this thread about the graphics. It's basically been a 4K upscaled version of the PS4 graphics that we've seen for years now.

I play on a 4k monitor at 120hz... so gameplay is smooth, but the graphics are not up to par with what should be achievable on current gen consoles. Personally, I would gladly trade 4k/120hz for a big graphical upgrade running at 4k/60hz.

I understand that some think that the graphics are fine and even great looking as they are, and there is nothing wrong with saying that at all. But I think we all have to admit that if you take a step back and analyze how this game has looked for several years now, and compare it with other current gen games, you see the disconnect and the faults.

I'll be the very first to say that this 9th generation of consoles have been very, very slow to move on from the previous generation across the board. I think much of this has to do with development companies (and publishers) pursuing the largest install base of every platform on the market. Also, pushing cross platform play (looking at you Xbox Series S) and cross generation online play does not help.

I get that dev companies and their publishers don't want to give up the install base of the previous generation, but never before has a jump from one generation to the next been soooooooooo painstakingly slow to see any concrete generational leaps. It's made me regret jumping to a PS5 so soon.

But bringing it back to SDS specifically, I do not see this game series' graphics improving until they are finally able to break ties with Switch, PS4, and Xbox One. This probably has much to do with MLB wanting this game's release on as many platforms as possible.

At this point, I have my fingers crossed that MLBTS25 is the year we finally have a true jump to current gen graphics/engine (and 8th gen consoles are set to rest). And I also hope that SDS has been able to spend a good chunk of time during this past year's dev cycle, and will continue during the upcoming dev cycle, building out this true current gen upgrade.

Truthfully, I'm unsure if the MLBTS engine (as it is now) can support a true generational leap or not, so this could be another matter entirely. Could it be that SDS is hamstrung by their engine, or has reached it's limits? None of us truly know, but we do know that game engine drive game development. Each engine has its limits. As game engines become more and more advanced, this is where we see continued graphical upgrades (think Unreal Engine 5). Could it be time that SDS needs to upgrade their game engine or move on to something like UE5?

Unfortunately, time will tell what changes (or doesn't) with this game series. But I hope we as baseball fans and MLBTS fans can enjoy this game as it is now, because I think many of us still think this is the best sports game around.
Old 02-15-2024, 12:03 PM   #11
Pro

breakfastcat's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconbits11
I'd be happy with the cloth physics and wind effects from MLB 2K7. Along with the stadium exteriors from that game. In fact if it had the gameplay of the Show, I might still be playing MLB 2K7.
You know it's bad when we are pining for graphical features that were in a game from SEVENTEEN YEARS AGO.

How has something like this not been brought in and perfected by now with exponentially more advanced technology? That added so much to the atmosphere seeing the uniforms jostle in the wind. It would do wonders to address how flat and sterile the game's current art direction is.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-15-2024, 12:04 PM   #12
Pro

MLB14's Arena

The graphics overall are OK to me but not up to the industry standard. They need to port the game to a new engine. I don't imagine that being easy at all, so maybe they're in the process of doin that.

mobile device
Old 02-15-2024, 12:09 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 3

There is no excuse for PS4 and PS5 graphics to be identical. Bottom line. PS5 should look better, but we are going into the 4th year on PS5, and both PS4 and PS5 games will likely have the same graphics again.

It’s embarrassing for SDS that they’ve done so little to take advantage of the PS5 besides adding stadium creator which is somewhat of a niche gimmick.

We saw a HUGE graphical upgrade in The Show 17 which was the 4th year on PS4, but it doesn’t look like we are in store for such an upgrade going into the 4th year of PS5, unfortunately.

Might be PS6 before this game looks different.
Old 02-15-2024, 12:15 PM   #14
Banned

I think they are too loyal to their graphics department. They may simply not have the tools/skill to take advantage of the ps5.
Old 02-15-2024, 12:19 PM   #15
Pro

breakfastcat's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB14
The graphics overall are OK to me but not up to the industry standard. They need to port the game to a new engine. I don't imagine that being easy at all, so maybe they're in the process of doin that.

mobile device
I always hesitate to say they need to move to a new engine because that could seriously mess up the pristine gameplay they have nearly perfected. They would need to completely rewrite the entire system. Not saying it'd be impossible but unless its something they've been secretly working on for the past 4 years, I don't see a way they can move to a new engine without creating a ton of problems in the way the game plays. And as much as I want to see a graphics overhaul, I don't think I'd be willing to get it at the expense of the already stellar gameplay.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-15-2024, 12:20 PM   #16
Rookie

Otis1kanobe's Arena

How about some new player models??

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »