Home

Madden 23 - the impacts of your quarter length settings

This is a discussion on Madden 23 - the impacts of your quarter length settings within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 01-07-2024, 03:13 PM   #65
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Madden 23 - the impacts of your quarter length settings

I have circled back to this thread and concept after getting tired of the CPU passing with a 4 or 5:1 ratio on non-modded Madden. So far, the early results with a small sample size are better than when I was playing with accelerated clock on.

I've grown tired of the modded version of the game for personal reasons, so I've been trying to enjoy the vanilla experience, but the play calling has been ruining it for me. I decided to play multiple games out with 10 minute quarters and no accelerated clock and while the sample size is small, the results have been somewhat promising as I've seen the AI passing at a more 3:1 or 3:2 /ratio across each game.

I'd still like that to come down just a bit, but it's clearly better than what I was seeing with accelerated clock on. I also don't know if success rate impacts CPU play calling at all or not, but I've been testing with default sliders and the CPU has struggled to even rush at 1.0 yards/carry, so if that does impact the plays they call, then that's clearly leading to them passing more.

Obviously, it will lead to more 2nd and 3rd and long scenarios which will naturally lead to more pass attempts in those instances, but I am unsure of whether or not it decreases how often they'd be willing to run in more traditional rushing scenarios.

If anyone knows for sure, I'd love to have an answer on that. I will be tuning my sliders to make their running attack more deadly to see if that leads to more attempts on the ground. If so, I'll be giddy and will know how to tune my sliders to get the gameplay experience I want.

Madden 24 is so close to being my favorite football game, even better than my beloved 2k5, I just need this play calling issue to get fixed for me to really enjoy it.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-07-2024, 07:10 PM   #66
Pro

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
I have circled back to this thread and concept after getting tired of the CPU passing with a 4 or 5:1 ratio on non-modded Madden. So far, the early results with a small sample size are better than when I was playing with accelerated clock on.

I've grown tired of the modded version of the game for personal reasons, so I've been trying to enjoy the vanilla experience, but the play calling has been ruining it for me. I decided to play multiple games out with 10 minute quarters and no accelerated clock and while the sample size is small, the results have been somewhat promising as I've seen the AI passing at a more 3:1 or 3:2 /ratio across each game.

I'd still like that to come down just a bit, but it's clearly better than what I was seeing with accelerated clock on. I also don't know if success rate impacts CPU play calling at all or not, but I've been testing with default sliders and the CPU has struggled to even rush at 1.0 yards/carry, so if that does impact the plays they call, then that's clearly leading to them passing more.

Obviously, it will lead to more 2nd and 3rd and long scenarios which will naturally lead to more pass attempts in those instances, but I am unsure of whether or not it decreases how often they'd be willing to run in more traditional rushing scenarios.

If anyone knows for sure, I'd love to have an answer on that. I will be tuning my sliders to make their running attack more deadly to see if that leads to more attempts on the ground. If so, I'll be giddy and will know how to tune my sliders to get the gameplay experience I want.

Madden 24 is so close to being my favorite football game, even better than my beloved 2k5, I just need this play calling issue to get fixed for me to really enjoy it.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
I'm in the same boat as you with M24. If they would fix Playcalling and the sim stats this would be the best football game of all time.

I've been running with 10 min/20 acc for 5 seasons in my CfM. I've done testing with no acc vs acc and I can say it makes no difference. I did a game with 10 min no acc and I shut it off after the Chiefs ran 24 passes to 3 runs. I've done slow sim testing with all kinds of clock settings and no matter what the CPU passes too much. You might get a game every now and then with a good ratio but in the long run the ratio is broken.

There is an in depth thread on the main page on this topic. This problem does not appear to have a user solution. The messed up part is the sim engine is broken the other direction. Way too much rushing.
Old 01-07-2024, 11:41 PM   #67
Rookie

OVR: 0

For M24, I’ve played a lot with 8 min/no accelerated and then switched to 10 min/20 sec after one patch that sped the game up. I have not noticed anything different with CPU play calling. I’ve gotten games with CPU passing 80% of the time as well as some around 60%. It varies game to game to game but it’s still averages around 70-75%.
Old 01-08-2024, 01:34 AM   #68
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

That's what I am fearful of, but my small sample size continues to be promising so far. Around 5ish games so far and the CPU's remained in the 60% range. May just end up being due to being such a tiny sample size but I am holding out hope just because I have nothing else to do, lol. Maybe EA can fix this with a patch for the playoffs beginning. I won't hold my breath.

― Plato
Old 01-09-2024, 08:53 AM   #69
MVP

cch99's Arena

OVR: 9
Madden 23 - the impacts of your quarter length settings

I’m going to agree with the others. This is some fundamental flaw with the cpu play calling under the hood.

I have the CPU run game jacked up where I struggle to stop all but the worst rushing teams. Unlike real life the Eagles D should be good in the game. The last game of my franchise versus the rams was a close game until midway through the third and they were running well. Still ended up 47-10 runs to passes.

If they could fix this and the fatigue this game would be the best Madden I’ve ever played. Unfortunately I don’t even feel like playing it.

The last games I played about 2 weeks ago or so one of them the Patriots passed 35 times and ran 2. That was in my 32 team franchise. 6 minute 25 acc clock. While you might look at it and say well it could be clock settings I am in week 3 playing every game and certain teams I’ve had games almost 50-50.

There’s is something wrong under the hood with certain playbooks, coaches, both or just something under the hood that like fatigue is just messed up.

And also I’ve tried the no accelerated clock thing in the past and haven’t seen, IMO, any difference over an extended period.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Last edited by cch99; 01-09-2024 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-09-2024, 10:49 AM   #70
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cch99
I’m going to agree with the others. This is some fundamental flaw with the cpu play calling under the hood.

I have the CPU run game jacked up where I struggle to stop all but the worst rushing teams. Unlike real life the Eagles D should be good in the game. The last game of my franchise versus the rams was a close game until midway through the third and they were running well. Still ended up 47-10 runs to passes.

If they could fix this and the fatigue this game would be the best Madden I’ve ever played. Unfortunately I don’t even feel like playing it.

The last games I played about 2 weeks ago or so one of them the Patriots passed 35 times and ran 2. That was in my 32 team franchise. 6 minute 25 acc clock. While you might look at it and say well it could be clock settings I am in week 3 playing every game and certain teams I’ve had games almost 50-50.

There’s is something wrong under the hood with certain playbooks, coaches, both or just something under the hood that like fatigue is just messed up.

And also I’ve tried the no accelerated clock thing in the past and haven’t seen, IMO, any difference over an extended period.

Are you playing on Simulation? My sample size is still not a great size, but it's nearing 10 games now on Competitive with 10 minute quarters with no accelerated clock and the CPU is calling around just under 40 passes a game to around 20-25 runs a game which is a far cry from the 50+ pass attempts to <10 runs I was seeing per game when I was on simulation 12 minute quarters with accelerated clock on.

It's still higher than I'd like, but it's clearly been completely different and now that my sample size is just about 10 games big it is becoming more than just coincidence at this point.

― Plato
Old 01-09-2024, 11:20 AM   #71
MVP

cch99's Arena

OVR: 9

I am playing sim but I will say through a couple weeks it had been decent. Too pass heavy but bearable. Others were saying how bad it was and I wasn’t seeing it as bad. Then it’s like it flipped a switch and all of a sudden it’s terrible. That was really a 30 game sample size where only a couple were not great.

Of my last 5 games 3 were terrible, 1 was bad and I was ok. I’ve gotten blown out where the CPU had a three touchdown lead and was running all over me when they actually ran and still kept passing 75%+ plus.

That’s why think it’s an under the hood thing that is messed up. Maybe it got worse in the last patch. With all the things the CPU doesn’t do I’d be surprised if they programmed it to be that picky about game time and when to pass or run. I think it’s more likely they think people want heavy passing games so they’ve skewed it because even when it’s better it’s not really what I would call good

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2024, 12:58 PM   #72
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

Definitely something under the hood is an issue.

I'm just starting to wonder if the modes plus no accelerated clock are combining to somewhat alleviate the issue like I am seeing. I used to play Simulation with accelerated clock on and was seeing literally 50+ passes to <10 runs per game from the CPU over a very large sample size. It's why I eventually went with the gameplay mods.

However, due to some personal reasons, I am back to wanting to play the non-modded version and have been experimenting and like I said before, a sample size that is at 8 or 9 games now on Competitive with 10 minute quarters and no accelerated clock has seen every single game have the CPU less than 40 pass attempts with 20-25 rushing attempts.

Either I am just in a very coincidental stretch of games, or changing the settings to what I am running now has had a positive impact and the issue under the hood is not as strong on Competitive with longer quarters like it still is on Simulation. I'm seeing the CPU put together drives with 6 runs to 3 passes now whereas before I literally was not even seeing the CPU run the ball more than 5 times a game regardless of the score on my other settings.

Maybe it is just a coincidental stretch of games. Maybe not. I'd be interested to see if others are playing on Competitive with quarters of at least 10 minutes without accelerated clock and what their experiences are.

― Plato

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »