Home

Minnesota Wild Franchise (NHL 22 PS4)

This is a discussion on Minnesota Wild Franchise (NHL 22 PS4) within the Hockey Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Hockey Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-12-2022, 01:27 PM   #57
Rookie

JurassicPuck's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Minnesota Wild Franchise (NHL 22 PS4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstone1987
Great to see this back tough loss vs Colorado.
Good to be back! Took some time playing Madden and NBA 2K but couldn't leave this game for too long. I doubt I'll be buying NHL 23 with little to no additions to Franchise outside of Custom Leagues so this Minnesota Franchise will have at least another year to continue.

Colorado seems like a team on a mission this year after being embarrassed in round one last season. We were just no match for a team with so much depth and star power. Edmonton will be in for a TOUGH series for sure.
Old 10-13-2022, 01:44 AM   #58
Rookie

JurassicPuck's Arena

2023 NHL Playoff Preview and Predictions: Conference Finals

By Vincent Barlow 2h Ago

Welcome back to the third edition of these Playoff Previews as we get down to the Final Four teams still in the race for Lord Stanley's Cup. Each one of these teams has the team to win which will make these series some amazing hockey to watch. Before we get into the Previews, let's see how my predictions held out from the round prior:

Colorado vs Minnesota
My Prediction - COL in 6 Games
The Actual Result - COL in 5 Games

Edmonton vs Vegas
My Prediction - EDM in 7 Games
The Actual Result - EDM in 7 Games

New York vs Tampa Bay
My Prediction - NYI in 6 Games
The Actual Result - NYI in 7 Games

Toronto vs Pittsburgh
My Prediction - TOR in 5 Games
The Actual Result - TOR in 5 Games

I come out of last round with two series predicted TO A TEE. I'll give myself a little pat on the back for that one. For all four series I got the winner right and was just a game off on both of them. Maybe my crystal ball really is real...

Without further ado lets get into these Previews.

Colorado Avalanche (1) vs Edmonton Oilers (1)
VS
Colorado Avalanche
(8-2)
Edmonton Oilers
(8-6)
Top Performers
Mikko Rantanen
6 Goals 12 Assists 3 GWG
Leon Draisaitl
8 Goals 9 Assists 3 PPG
Nathan MacKinnon
11 Goals 6 Assists 6 PPG
Mike Smith
8 Wins .925 SV% 2.34 GAA
Pavel Francouz
8 Wins .928 SV% 3 SO
Connor McDavid
7 Goals 6 Assists +10
Team Stats Comparison
3.60 (2nd)Goals Per Game3.00 (4th)
2.60 (5th)Goals Against Per Game2.50 (3rd)
41.4% (1st)Power Play %29.3% (2nd)
81.8% (8th)Penalty Kill %85.7% (4th)
Injury Report
No Injuries
Cody Ceci
MCL Sprain (1-2 Months)

The rematch from last year between these two teams take place in the Conference Finals this year as opposed to round one. It's such a perfect matchup storyline wise with the Avalanche looking to get revenge on the Oilers for ruining what should have been a long playoff run last season. MacKinnon has been a man on a mission ever since losing to McDavid in 6 games, putting the team on his back and steamrolling the Kings and Wild. Meanwhile the Edmonton Oilers have taken quite possibly the hardest road possible to get to this point, winning in 7 games in back-to-back series against the Yotes and Golden Knights.

McDavid hasn't been his normal game breaking self so far these playoffs, putting up a non super human stat line of 7 goals and 6 assists. Good numbers, but nowhere near what we've seen this man do. Jesse Puljujarvi had just one point in the Vegas series but has more points than Connor. Is that more of giving props to the Finnish 25 year old? Or proving that McDavid has been somewhat disappointing these playoffs? Regardless the Oilers still have the likes of Draisaitl and Bouchard playing very well but it's hard to see how it's going to be enough after seeing what team the Avs just beat in the Wild. Minnesota was a deep team that blows the Oiler's bottom six out of the water. It's going to have to be the battle of the superstars to see who comes out on top in this series

In case the Oilers didn't have anything else to worry over, the Avalanche are currently clicking on the Power Play at a mind boggling 41.4%! Edmonton has the second best PP with 29.3%. An insane gap between the two. This series is lining up to be a high scoring one which bodes well for hockey fans. As impressive as it has been that this Albertan team is still here after two straight Game 7's it seems like the end of the road for them here against the Avalanche. They'll need to pray McDavid goes Super Saiyan if they want to make their first Stanley Cup Finals appearance since 2006

COL in 5 Games

Toronto Maple Leafs (2) vs New York Islanders (2)
VS
Toronto Maple Leafs
(8-4)
New York Islanders
(8-4)
Top Performers
Auston Matthews
9 Goals 7 Assists
Patrice Bergeron
7 Goals 10 Assists 4 PPG
William Nylander
6 Goals 10 Assists 4 PPP
Brock Nelson
5 Goals 7 Assists
Petr Mrazek
8 Wins .931 SV% 2.25 GAA
Ilya Sorokin
7 Wins .920 SV% 2.43 GAA
Team Stats Comparison
3.67 (1st)Goals Per Game3.08 (3rd)
2.67 (6th)Goals Against Per Game2.42 (2nd)
12.5% (14th)Power Play %25% (4th)
90.7% (2nd)Penalty Kill %83.3% (7th)
Injury Report
Justin Holl
Mild Concussion (Day-to-Day)
No Injuries
MCL Sprain (1-2 Months)
Jake Muzzin
Concussion (2-3 Weeks)

Scoring at a 3.67 goal per game pace, the Toronto Maple Leafs are heading into their Conference Final Matchup against the Islanders with the best offense in these Playoffs. New York however has the best defensive team remaining, showcased by their 2.42 goals against average which is second best these Playoffs (Rangers were first). So which would you rather have? The best offense or the best defense?

The Leafs surprised Sidney Crosby and the Pittsburgh Penguins by quickly eliminating in 5 games which shocked quite a few people with how they handled the veteran squad. You can tell this Toronto team has a different aura than years past. They've lifted the first round curse and in hand it's lifted a huge weight off the organization's shoulders, from the management down to the players. Mrazek has proven himself to be more than a capable starter after all the doubts from the beginning of the season.

The Islanders finally got over the Tampa Bay hump and beat the Lightning in their 7 game series that came down to the wire. It was a well fought back and forth series that took a lot of the Islanders team. Will they be able to keep up with a Toronto team that is completely rested after just a 5 game series? I'm not so sure. That isn't to say this will be a cake walk for "The Six". New York will be no pushover and it will take a full team buy in but I believe the Leafs will be able to do it. They say defense wins Championships but goals win you games. Toronto in 7.

TOR in 7 Games

Old 10-13-2022, 11:30 AM   #59
MVP

SENS_AK27's Arena

OVR: 16

I think Toronto is definitely going to miss Muzzin on D and their Powerplay is Anemic. I'll have to say Islanders in 6.

Colorado seems to be a team of Destiny this year, as good as Edmonton is, I can't see them getting by Colorado. Avalanche in 5.
GLES - USC

Old 10-14-2022, 01:06 PM   #60
Rookie

JurassicPuck's Arena

NHL Scores - 2023 Conference Finals

Old 10-18-2022, 03:40 AM   #61
Rookie

JurassicPuck's Arena

2023 NHL Playoff Preview and Predictions: Stanley Cup Finals

By Vincent Barlow 2h Ago

Finally we have our final edition of our Preview and Prediction series here at The Athletic. From 16 teams down to 2, the Colorado Avalanche and Toronto Maple Leafs are the last ones remaining after three rounds of Playoff hockey. It's a Stanley Cup Final that comes with an absurd amount of excitement for everyone involved. We have Toronto who has a chance to break their famous curse of 1967, the last time they won the Stanley Cup 56 seasons ago. We have the Avalanche who overcame their demons of last year by beating the Oilers who eliminated them in round one in 2022. And then of course we have Nathan MacKinnon who could break the NHL record for most goals in one Playoff year. He sits with 16 goals while Reggie Leach holds the record at 19 goals. Just 3 goals is a very attainable task for the likes of the Nate Dogg after he had 70 in the regular season. Those stories only scratch the surface of what interests fans all around the NHL in what could be one of the best Cup Finals in recent memory

Before we get into the full-lineup breakdown of these teams, let's take a look at how I did with my predictions last round.

Colorado vs Edmonton
My Prediction - COL in 5 Games
The Actual Result - COL in 7 Games

Toronto vs New York
My Prediction - TOR in 7 Games
The Actual Result - TOR in 6 Games

Not bad. Not bad at all. I failed to correctly guess the amount of games for both series but I was able to choose both the series winners. I'll put that down as a "W" in my book. Now with that out of the way, we can get into the nitty gritty.

Because it's the Stanley Cup Finals we want to really get into why these teams made it this far and how they match up against each other in this series. The best way to do that, in my opinion, is to break it down line-by-line. Let's jump right into it with each teams first line's

1st Line Matchup

Alex Newhook - Nathan MacKinnon - Mikko Rantanen
2 Goals 8 Assists - 16 Goals 9 Assists - 11 Goals 19 Assists

vs

William Nylander - Auston Matthews - Mitch Marner
8 Goals 11 Assists - 12 Goals 10 Assists - 8 Goals 15 Assists

With our first matchup we have easily two of the best first lines in the NHL. Both of these lines have had a massive influence on taking these teams to the Finals. On the Colorado side we obviously have the best duo in the league with Mack and Rantanen. Both have been incredible these playoffs and will be in contention for the Conn Smythe, regardless if they win or not. Then we have Alex Newhook. At just 22 years old the 5'10 forward had no sophomore slump as he upped his point total to 60 this year after 35 in his rookie year. However he hasn't been able to replicate his season production in these playoffs with a still respectable 10 points through 17 games. He's very clearly a top six player but is also clearly the worst player out of the six featured between these two teams

The Leafs have their whole first line firing at over a point per game, including William Nylander who was under point per game in the regular season (73 points in 82 games). Matthews leads the team in scoring with 12 while Marner and Nylander have been feeding him assists. Both Auston and Mitch are a +11 while Nylander is a +14. The Colorado trio meanwhile is far below that with a +9 (Rantanen), +6 (MacKinnon) and +4 (Newhook). So who can I give the advantage too? I don't think I can. The Mack-Rantanen duo is better than the Matthews-Marner pair but Nylander has been better than Newhook. The only fair choice is to make it a draw

Advantage - Draw

2nd Line Matchup

Gabriel Landeskog - Nazem Kadri - Andre Burakovsky
5 Goals 5 Assists - 3 Goals 13 Assists - 3 Goals 8 Assists

vs

Nick Robertson - John Tavares - Pontus Holmberg
0 Goals 6 Assists - 5 Goals 7 Assists - 0 Goals 11 Assists

The Avalanche's top six is hard to beat. Only a few teams could even arguably have better and the Leafs are not one of those teams. John Tavares isn't the player he was when he first came to Toronto 5 seasons ago and while he is the best forward here for the Maple Leafs, he's not better than the opposing second line centerman in Nazem Kadri, a former Maple Leaf. Kadri was actually traded just a year after Tavares came to town so this is somewhat of a revenge series for the 96 point scorer.

Going back to to the Maple Leafs, the wingers that flank the veteran Tavares are two rookies. When you compare that to Kadri's wingers in Landeskog and Burakovsky and you see why this matchup is a no brainer as to who's better. Holmberg has had a great postseason for a rookie with 11 points, however all of them has been assists. Robertson meanwhile has just 6 points (also all assists). Colorado gets the clear advantage.

Advantage - Colorado

3rd Line Matchup

Nicolas Aube-Kubel - Curtis Lazar - Valeri Nichushkin
1 Goal 6 Assists - 1 Goal 2 Assists - 8 Goals 8 Assists

vs

Kyle Clifford - Alexander Kerfoot - Wayne Simmonds
5 Goals 5 Assists - 3 Goals 7 Assists - 4 Goals 4 Assists

Toronto's 3rd line has been a big reason for their success these playoffs. The veteran grinders on the wings in Clifford and Simmonds have had stellar playoffs, providing tons of physicality and offense at key points on this run. Clifford in fact almost has more points than he had in the regular season, which was 14, in 47 less games.

Kerfoot has been great down the middle and been a good defensive-minded player on this line. The Avalanche's line of Kubel, Lazar and Nichushkin has been great in their own right but, outside of Valeri (who has been the best third line player in these playoffs), hasn't been as good as the Leafs trio. Nichushkin is actually the third highest scoring forward for the Avs behind just Mack and Mikko and he's done it with just 15:19 of average ice time. It's very impressive but doesn't quite outweigh how more balanced the Toronto line is.

Advantage - Toronto

4th Line Matchup

Artturi Lehkonen - J.T. Compher - Logan O'Connor
2 Goals 5 Assists - 4 Goals 0 Assists - 1 Goal 1 Assist

vs

Joey Anderson - David Kampf - Alexander Nylander
0 Goals 2 Assists - 0 Goals 3 Assists - 4 Goals 0 Assists

Realistically, the 4th lines aren't going to decide who wins this series. So despite Colorado having the advantage here it doesn't hold as much weight as an advantage on the 2nd line does. With saying that though the Avs do have the upper hand here with Lehkonen and Compher playing great hockey in limited minutes. Nylander's four goals have been pretty impressive but it's still a win for COL here

Advantage - Colorado

1st D Pairing Matchup

Devon Toews - Cale Makar
3 Goals 2 Assists +2 - 1 Goal 17 Assists +3

vs

Morgan Rielly - Timothy Liljegren
5 Goals 10 Assists +12 - 4 Goals 6 Assists +12

On Paper and based of regular season play, Colorado's first pairing wipes the floor with Toronto's and that's not even really a diss against Rielly and Liljegren. The duo of Toews and Makar was the best over the 82 game season and is the best in the NHL. However the Playoffs is a different animal and it's not even that out of range to say that the Leafs duo has been better thus far. Both have a +12 rating and have more combined points than their counterparts. While Makar and Toews definitely felt the effects of matching up with McDavid and Draisaitl last series, the Leafs faced offensive weapons along the way as well. So instead of this being a Avalanche advantage I'm going to have to go with a draw based off of their play through these 17-18 playoff games

Advantage - Draw

2nd D Pairing Matchup

Samuel Girard - Bowen Byram
0 Goals 7 Assists +4 - 2 Goals 2 Assists +4

vs

Mario Ferraro - Justin Holl
0 Goals 2 Assists +5 - 0 Goals 1 Assist +2

This one is probably the biggest mismatch out of every matchup, despite how it looks on paper. We'll start with Samuel Girard. Plain and simple, he's HEAVILY underperformed these playoffs. He had a by far career high of 72 points this season and yet has just 7 assists through three rounds of hockey. He just hasn't been nearly as good these playoffs. Will he be able to get back to his form during these Finals? The Avs will be hoping so. Even with that all said, the pair of Byram and Girard is just clearly better than Ferraro and Holl. The Leafs duo is much more of a defensive minded pairing but are just inferior to their counterparts. Girard's underperformance makes this comparison closer than it really is but Colorado have the upper hand

Advantage - Colorado

3rd D Pairing Matchup

Kale Clague - Erik Johnson
2 Goals 5 Assists +1 - 1 Goal 1 Assist +1

vs

Rasmus Sandin - Topi Niemela
2 Goals 9 Assists +1 - 1 Goal 3 Assists -2

Rasmus Sandin leads the group of third pairing defenseman with 11 points as he's been used all year as an offensive D-Man with limited minutes on the third pair. His defense is what hurts him. It would be best if he was paired with a much more defensive guy than Topi Niemela but to be fair to the 21 year old Fin, he has been able to hold it down when Sandin finds himself out of position.

Clague and Johnson meanwhile aren't much different. Clague is an offensive guy who likes to get his points joining in on the rush. Johnson meanwhile isn't known for his defense but has been able to keep things steady when Kale likes to jump into the play. So it's just a matter of who does it better? Sandin was much more productive than Clague in the regular season and has more points these Playoffs. Niemela and Johnson practically cancel each other out. I'll have to go Toronto here.

Advantage - Toronto

Goalie Matchup

Pavel Francouz
12 Wins .913 SV% 2.96 GAA 3 SO

vs

Petr Mrazek
12 Wins .935 SV% 2.16 GAA 2 SO

Both of these goalies will be Vezina Trophy finalists after the regular seasons they had. Francouz had the better season but Mrazek has had an incredible Playoffs thus far. It's what makes it so hard to give an advantage to either of these goalies. Mrazek's track record is shaky prior to this season but has been the better goalie in the Playoffs. Is that enough to ignore Francouz's stellar play over the last 3 seasons compared to Petr's? I don't think so. But I also don't think it outweigh enough to give the advantage to Pavel outright. You know what that means.

Advantage - Draw

Team Comparison

Colorado Avalanche (1) vs Toronto Maple Leafs (2)
VS
Colorado Avalanche
(12-5)
Toronto Maple Leafs
(12-6)
Team Stats Comparison
3.88 (1st)Goals Per Game3.39 (2nd)
3.12 (10th)Goals Against Per Game2.44 (2nd)
40% (1st)Power Play %11.1% (15th)
71.2% (14th)Penalty Kill %88.7% (2nd)
Injury Report
No Injuries
Jake Muzzin
Concussion (1-2 Weeks)

Looking at the team stats you can see how hard the Edmonton series hit the Avalanche's averages and percentages. The Oilers powerplay and scoring was a problem for Colorado but it's something that they won't have as many issues with against Toronto considering their PP has just 9 goals on 81 opportunities. It's how well their scoring will handle the Leafs defense is what lies ahead for them. It's not been something they've been known for in the past but this year Toronto's defense has really been spectacular. Will it be enough to stop the Avs firepower though? Only time will tell

The Prediction

After reviewing all the lines, all the stats, all the storylines I have looked into the Crystal Ball one last time these playoffs and it's shown me that thee..... Colorado Avalanche will win the Stanley Cup in 6 Games! Yes I've chosen to go with the President Trophy winners to actually win the Cup. It would be the first time since the Blackhawks in 2013 for this to happen but I think MacKinnon and company can break the curse. They have the drive from losing last year and with the amount of talent on their team they seem destined to win it all. We'll see how well this ages when the puck drops in Colorado for Game 1.

Last edited by JurassicPuck; 10-18-2022 at 03:44 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2022, 09:01 AM   #62
MVP

SENS_AK27's Arena

OVR: 16

C'mon Colorado!!
GLES - USC

Old 10-20-2022, 07:00 PM   #63
MVP

johnstone1987's Arena

There's something about the Maple Leafs in Franchise Mode lol. In mine I faced the Leafs in the Finals and here they are again punching their ticket to the Finals lol.
Old 11-02-2022, 02:07 AM   #64
Rookie

JurassicPuck's Arena

NHL Scores - 2023 Stanley Cup Finals

Mikko Rantanen is awarded the Conn Smythe Trophy

Auston Matthews and the Maple Leafs hang their heads in defeat

Captain Gabriel Landeskog is handed the Stanley Cup

Landeskog raises Lord Stanley above his head and the crowd goes wild

Your 2023 Stanley Cup Champion Colorado Avalanche!

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Hockey Dynasties »