Home

Your thoughts on digital games versus owning them?

This is a discussion on Your thoughts on digital games versus owning them? within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 04-08-2024, 11:39 PM   #49
MVP

zello144's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Your thoughts on digital games versus owning them?

My only fear about digital is getting hacked and losing my account or getting banned and losing my account.
Old 04-09-2024, 10:17 AM   #50
All Star

RockinDaMike's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by zello144
My only fear about digital is getting hacked and losing my account or getting banned and losing my account.

I’ve lost and had physical media stolen so that’s the other side. As well have had physical media damaged so I rather just keep everything digital.

I’ve gotten to the point too where I don’t buy games at full price. Maybe a couple here and there but majority of the time I can find super deals with steam sales or play it on gamepass Xbox or PlayStation down the road.

I’ve collected such a back log of digital stuff that I can wait a year or two to play the upcoming titles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Activision: MikeDeuce#1448

Teams: AZ Cardinals, Suns, Diamondbacks, Duke, Arizona State

IG FB
Old 04-09-2024, 10:45 PM   #51
MVP

I believe that GameFly will exist for as long as physical game discs exist which I believe will be at least one more generation after the current one.

They have 70 employees and more than 334,000 subscribers which for them is huge. Their revenue for 2023 was $17m. Don't know their expenses and costs but I would like to think that they make a big enough profit to keep GameFly alive and well. Otherwise, they wouldn't.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-10-2024, 06:35 AM   #52
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter42O
I believe that GameFly will exist for as long as physical game discs exist which I believe will be at least one more generation after the current one.

They have 70 employees and more than 334,000 subscribers which for them is huge. Their revenue for 2023 was $17m. Don't know their expenses and costs but I would like to think that they make a big enough profit to keep GameFly alive and well. Otherwise, they wouldn't.
I'm enjoying GameFly still. It fits my style of gaming. I don't consider myself a hardcore gamer and I don't play online. If I buy a game, it's typically digital. I always liked the old BlockBuster days. I'm more of a gamer, where if I bear a campaign mode and or get tired of it, I'm done with the game. So, once I beat a game on GameFly, I return it and rent another. I don't mind having to delete the game file. Plus, they don't trip over how long you rent a game. They also don't seem to mind if you rent the same game multiple times.

This time around I'm being more smarter about how I handle gaming. Last couple years, I was still subscribing to PS Extra, and buying certain games, along with Gamefly. This time around, I won't bother with PS Extra. I will only buy a game, if I'm very sure I'm going to play it long term. I bought NBA2K24, and I'm somewhat regretted it. That's because I usually only play it for a month and a half at most before I get tired of it. I didn't pay for it, so it's not a big deal. But, next year I know to just rent it until they tell me to ship it back
Old 04-12-2024, 04:18 PM   #53
Rookie

OVR: 2

So with the PS5, I have purchased all digital games. I am about to run out of storage. What is a good external hard drive or external USB so to save games on? I don't want to spend a lot of money. And is it easy to move games back and forth?

Thanks.

Rick
Old 04-12-2024, 07:28 PM   #54
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
I'm enjoying GameFly still. It fits my style of gaming. I don't consider myself a hardcore gamer and I don't play online. If I buy a game, it's typically digital. I always liked the old BlockBuster days. I'm more of a gamer, where if I bear a campaign mode and or get tired of it, I'm done with the game. So, once I beat a game on GameFly, I return it and rent another. I don't mind having to delete the game file. Plus, they don't trip over how long you rent a game. They also don't seem to mind if you rent the same game multiple times.

This time around I'm being more smarter about how I handle gaming. Last couple years, I was still subscribing to PS Extra, and buying certain games, along with Gamefly. This time around, I won't bother with PS Extra. I will only buy a game, if I'm very sure I'm going to play it long term. I bought NBA2K24, and I'm somewhat regretted it. That's because I usually only play it for a month and a half at most before I get tired of it. I didn't pay for it, so it's not a big deal. But, next year I know to just rent it until they tell me to ship it back

I agree with everything you said and am also currently subscribed to GameFly but will cancel it before my next charge date which is May 2nd. Reason being is that I decided to buy Stellar Blade digitally and Hellblade 2 will be played via Game Pass since there's no physical copy of the game. After those two games though, I don't have any new games until Star Wars Outlaws which I will play via Ubisoft+. So basically no reason for me to spend the $35 a month for the next four months.
Old 04-12-2024, 07:37 PM   #55
MVP

I'm almost 3 to 1 in favor of digital this generation. 36 digital purchases. 14 physical disc purchases. I normally buy games physically if there's no post launch expansions planned as no reason to keep the game and prefer to trade it in so I can get back half the money I spent on the game. Least way of playing games is via subscription which as of now, is a total of 8 games this generation via Game Pass and Ubisoft+. I only care about day one games that im interested in when it comes to subscription. Otherwise, I don't bother.

I don't care about ownership or collections. If anything, it's simply more convenient buying digitally and when it comes to games in which im going to play the expansions, digital is just the better choice because if I have a game physically on disc, im going to want to trade it in at some point which means that I would have to buy the game again if I want to play the expansions.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2024, 08:53 PM   #56
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter42O
I agree with everything you said and am also currently subscribed to GameFly but will cancel it before my next charge date which is May 2nd. Reason being is that I decided to buy Stellar Blade digitally and Hellblade 2 will be played via Game Pass since there's no physical copy of the game. After those two games though, I don't have any new games until Star Wars Outlaws which I will play via Ubisoft+. So basically no reason for me to spend the $35 a month for the next four months.
I was tempted to cancel it the last couple years. The last couple years I really didn't get the most out of it. I rationalized it by thinking as long as I rent X amount of games that would equal the total subscription price divided by full price. So last couple years, I might only rent 4-5 games a year(only did 1 game per month). There would be times where I would go a couple months. But this time around, I'm getting more bang for my buck. Whether it's games or DVDs. I'm already at 11 games and movies since I renewed it a couple months ago. I'm trying more games that I normally wouldn't. I'm currently renting The Rise of Ronin. I normally wouldn't try. I'm enjoying it. It's going to be a while before the next game I'm interested in comes out, but that's where DVDS and older games

I'm not into collecting games either. Once I'm done with a game, I'm done with it. I don't want to see it laying around. If I replay a game, it's usually years later when I can don't remember most of it. Besides an old 360 game, I can't remember the last game I bought physically. But, I'm definitely buying EA CFB 25 physically. Hell, I might even pre-order it at Gamestop

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »