Home

Your thoughts on digital games versus owning them?

This is a discussion on Your thoughts on digital games versus owning them? within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 03-07-2024, 11:00 PM   #17
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Your thoughts on digital games versus owning them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
You mean like can five people share one game? Usually games are tied specifically to an account you make so only you can play on it. Some services like Steam allow you to share games and play them together but it's not like "standard" in the industry.
Yeah, whoever's house we're at, if they don't have a copy, how can I easily and conveniently move a digital version between PS5's? If it isn't easy (and convenient/quick), digital does me no good. I'll stick with real and true ownership.
#44Syracuse
Old 03-07-2024, 11:20 PM   #18
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Of The Year
Yeah, whoever's house we're at, if they don't have a copy, how can I easily and conveniently move a digital version between PS5's? If it isn't easy (and convenient/quick), digital does me no good. I'll stick with real and true ownership.
Yeah I think physical is still probably better for that. You can tie IDs to various consoles (every service has a set amount they allow) but it's still probably easier just bringing the disc over.
Old 03-07-2024, 11:20 PM   #19
All Star

OVR: 8

Digital by necessity on PC.

Physical for everything else. Too many cons to digital imo.
-You can't trade-in or sell down the road if you don't want it anymore. Not something that I usually do, but I always found the especially useful with sports games.
-You don't get a pretty library of case art.
-Requires expansion of storage space if you keep more than a few games on there, with potentially lengthy download times if you want to cycle out some games on your drive.

The one that really seals the deal for me though is the lack of true ownership. Video games are too expensive to be 1 corporate decision away from never being able to access your purchase again if you didn't happen to already have it downloaded and installed. Physical copies are just a safer investment.
Old 03-08-2024, 06:06 AM   #20
MVP

timmg's Arena

OVR: 5

I have (2) PS5, one for me, one for my grandson. So games that we both like to play I buy digital. Other than that it comes down to the price of the game. If I can catch it on sale, I'll buy it digital or physical
Old 03-08-2024, 07:22 AM   #21
MVP

LegendKillerOne's Arena

One of the other things making me lean towards digital now and this was mentioned by others is not being able to find games. I prefer to buy new over used. For example I just recently wanted to play final fantasy VII remake. Before I get into the second one that just came out. I can not find a new physical copy anywhere unless I pay an insane price. Yet I can go digital on ps store and get for $30.

Used to be back in the day you could go to gamestop and find any game. Now it seems they carry very little. Like they are dying to go out of business or something
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2024, 09:05 AM   #22
MVP

zello144's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendKillerOne
How did you lose a game you own digitally ? Deadpool,
Didn't lose it. I never bought it digitally and now that I've found out that it's delisted I'm out of luck because I wanted to buy it digitally
Old 03-08-2024, 12:28 PM   #23
All Star

Mintsa's Arena

OVR: 17

I think by next console generation (PS6) it’s going to be all digital, no more physical copies of games anymore.
Old 03-08-2024, 02:40 PM   #24
MVP

LegendKillerOne's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsa
I think by next console generation (PS6) it’s going to be all digital, no more physical copies of games anymore.
You might be right i think about that

For now I am gonna keep collecting. Just ordered the new MLB the show and FFV II second part in game copy. Everyone had some great opinions and I value them all thank you all, But I think as long as I can find physical copies and its a thing I just like seeing them on the shelf

Some of my biggest regrets is not keeping all my old stuff and trading it in. I am talking back to the nintendo days even
NHL: Philadelphia Flyers
NCAAFOOTBALL: Miami Hurricanes
NCAABASKETBALL: Duke Blue Devils

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »