Home

Your thoughts on digital games versus owning them?

This is a discussion on Your thoughts on digital games versus owning them? within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 03-08-2024, 03:29 PM   #25
All Star

OVR: 8
Re: Your thoughts on digital games versus owning them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendKillerOne
You might be right i think about that

For now I am gonna keep collecting. Just ordered the new MLB the show and FFV II second part in game copy. Everyone had some great opinions and I value them all thank you all, But I think as long as I can find physical copies and its a thing I just like seeing them on the shelf

Some of my biggest regrets is not keeping all my old stuff and trading it in. I am talking back to the nintendo days even
Man I feel your pain there.

I still think about some of the games that I've traded in over the years.
I had the original Earthbound on SNES with the big strategy guide that it came with. Final Fantasy 6 (3 on SNES). Super Mario All-Stars.

Thankfully gamestop once denied my trade in of FF7 on the PS1. So I still have that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2024, 04:08 PM   #26
MVP

LegendKillerOne's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUowls
Man I feel your pain there.

I still think about some of the games that I've traded in over the years.
I had the original Earthbound on SNES with the big strategy guide that it came with. Final Fantasy 6 (3 on SNES). Super Mario All-Stars.

Thankfully gamestop once denied my trade in of FF7 on the PS1. So I still have that.
This is why I miss Funcoland. You could get all the old games any system
NHL: Philadelphia Flyers
NCAAFOOTBALL: Miami Hurricanes
NCAABASKETBALL: Duke Blue Devils
Old 03-08-2024, 04:48 PM   #27
MVP

lowpaiddonkey10's Arena

Quote:
This is why I miss Funcoland. You could get all the old games any system
Funcoland that's going back. They used to overpay for used games but charge you a fortune if you wanted to buy. Lots of changes the last 35 tears.
Old 03-08-2024, 09:20 PM   #28
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

I'm very selective on the games I buy. I don't play online or co-op type games. I mainly play single player and sports games. My issue is that when I'm done with a game, I'm done with it. That's why, I have been opting towards using Gamefly. It's been worth it for me. But, since the PS4 era, I have mainly bought games digitally. I think that really isn't the best option for me, I just got use to it. It's not the true ownership concept or having enough storage. Like I said, when I'm done with the game, I'm done with it. Storage has never been an issue for me. I usually just play one or two games at a time and have no issue having to reinstall a game. My issue with buying digitally, is still seeing the games in my library and knowing I'm not going to play it anymore.

But, I might change that this year. I plan on buying EA CFB 25 physical disc this year. I have usually used Gamefly for most of my gaming. But, if I know it's a game I'll play more than a couple months, I'll buy it
Old 03-08-2024, 09:25 PM   #29
MVP

LegendKillerOne's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
I'm very selective on the games I buy. I don't play online or co-op type games. I mainly play single player and sports games. My issue is that when I'm done with a game, I'm done with it. That's why, I have been opting towards using Gamefly. It's been worth it for me. But, since the PS4 era, I have mainly bought games digitally. I think that really isn't the best option for me, I just got use to it. It's not the true ownership concept or having enough storage. Like I said, when I'm done with the game, I'm done with it. Storage has never been an issue for me. I usually just play one or two games at a time and have no issue having to reinstall a game. My issue with buying digitally, is still seeing the games in my library and knowing I'm not going to play it anymore.

But, I might change that this year. I plan on buying EA CFB 25 physical disc this year. I have usually used Gamefly for most of my gaming. But, if I know it's a game I'll play more than a couple months, I'll buy it

I forgot about gamefly so that leads me to a question , can't you rent a game and decide to keep it from them ? And if so how do you know how much they want? And will they mail you the case ?.
Old 03-08-2024, 10:31 PM   #30
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

Quote:
I forgot about gamefly so that leads me to a question , can't you rent a game and decide to keep it from them ? And if so how do you know how much they want? And will they mail you the case ?.
You can rent and decide to keep it. But, I never decided to keep a game. I guess their price for you to keep the game is based on their valuation for it. You don't get a discount from what they list the game as.

I never decided to keep a game from Gamefly because they don't really have a strict return by date. In the past, their slogan use to be "No late fees". But after a month of renting a game, they use to email you "we see you're enjoying the game, why don't you consider keeping it for $××××". Which meant, either return it or buy it lol. So, I use to keep the games until I got that email. I stopped my first go-around in 2019 because I sold all my consoles and didn't play a game in preparation for the PS5. I restarted Gamefly in 2022. It's a little now because there's no email. I kept God of War Ragnarok for at least a month and half when it first came out and never heard anything about it. I recently rented GOW again to play the DLC. I really feel like you can rent a game for up to 2 months, return it, rent a different game and return that game, then rent the first game again for 1-2 months. I wish I did that with NBA2K24. I skipped 2k23. While I enjoyed 2k24, I typically only play NBA2K for 1-2 months. So, I wish I rented 2k24. But, I don't regret it because I didn't pay for it myself(got it as a gift from my wife) and I got it on sale. I had Oppenheimer for a month because it took that long for me and my wife to find time to watch it and didn't hear anything from Gamefly

But ,I'm not even sure how long Gamefly will see stick around. When I first had Gamefly, it was still more revelant. But last couple years, I haven't really seen Gamefly being marketed or promoted like that. With Physical Media starting to die out, I feel like Gamefly being around for another couple years. First time around, I never rented movies. But, lately I have been renting movies since I only have Paramount+ and YouTubeTV. Renting movies has made Gamefly more worth it, since I'm not a heavy gamer. I just wish they had TV series available to be rented on Gamefly.
Old 03-09-2024, 07:05 AM   #31
MVP

LegendKillerOne's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
You can rent and decide to keep it. But, I never decided to keep a game. I guess their price for you to keep the game is based on their valuation for it. You don't get a discount from what they list the game as.

I never decided to keep a game from Gamefly because they don't really have a strict return by date. In the past, their slogan use to be "No late fees". But after a month of renting a game, they use to email you "we see you're enjoying the game, why don't you consider keeping it for $××××". Which meant, either return it or buy it lol. So, I use to keep the games until I got that email. I stopped my first go-around in 2019 because I sold all my consoles and didn't play a game in preparation for the PS5. I restarted Gamefly in 2022. It's a little now because there's no email. I kept God of War Ragnarok for at least a month and half when it first came out and never heard anything about it. I recently rented GOW again to play the DLC. I really feel like you can rent a game for up to 2 months, return it, rent a different game and return that game, then rent the first game again for 1-2 months. I wish I did that with NBA2K24. I skipped 2k23. While I enjoyed 2k24, I typically only play NBA2K for 1-2 months. So, I wish I rented 2k24. But, I don't regret it because I didn't pay for it myself(got it as a gift from my wife) and I got it on sale. I had Oppenheimer for a month because it took that long for me and my wife to find time to watch it and didn't hear anything from Gamefly

But ,I'm not even sure how long Gamefly will see stick around. When I first had Gamefly, it was still more revelant. But last couple years, I haven't really seen Gamefly being marketed or promoted like that. With Physical Media starting to die out, I feel like Gamefly being around for another couple years. First time around, I never rented movies. But, lately I have been renting movies since I only have Paramount+ and YouTubeTV. Renting movies has made Gamefly more worth it, since I'm not a heavy gamer. I just wish they had TV series available to be rented on Gamefly.
That plus factoring in that playstation and xbox are basically renting out games with their online service will also kill gamefly I assume
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2024, 07:40 AM   #32
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

Quote:
That plus factoring in that playstation and xbox are basically renting out games with their online service will also kill gamefly I assume
Yeah., I haven't heard anything about Gamefly, but I really don't expect Gamefly to be around after this current console generation. Gamefly is best for those who want to get the game initially. Once a game is out for a year plus, it ends up on one of these streaming services anyway. And most of the times, these games go on sale after a few months

It's still good for someone like me. I'm very selective on games I buy and usually done with a game after a month anyway. So, you have to be willing to cycle games in and out and I've been renting movies as well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »