Home

Your thoughts on digital games versus owning them?

This is a discussion on Your thoughts on digital games versus owning them? within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 03-13-2024, 10:50 AM   #41
MVP

lowpaiddonkey10's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Your thoughts on digital games versus owning them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Of The Year
Yeah, I could have gotten a PS5 a lot quicker than I did if I hadn't wanted to wait for the disc version. I just have so many PS4 physical edition games, it made more sense in my mind to pass on the digital PS5. But I'm ready for one now.
The disc version is too big for where I have my PS5 located so that was one reason i went digital at the time. Not that I mind the design of the console don't really like it but for the life of me I don't understand why they couldn't have just gone with a rectangular shape. I mean it is a box no reason for the weird look/shape of it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM   #42
Prince of Plakata

Jolly Roger's Arena

I don't really care; I'm a minimalist and I like not having the discs around anymore. With movies & TV, the only time it bothers me is when the image quality drops during a stream.
Old 03-13-2024, 03:56 PM   #43
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

OVR: 17

Been digital since basically the end of the PS3 era, bought a few discs during the PS4 era, but I would say I was 98% digital.

Fast forward to this gen, and I'm 100% digital as far as games go, the only discs I buy are 4k movies as streaming doesn't look near as good to me.

Another reason I stay digital, is the sales and discounts on games through the MS store, as well as using MS points to get even more off the price, as a quick example...

I noticed on the MS store they had the Ultimate edition of Ghost Recon Wildlands which retails for $119.99 on sale for something like $23.99, so I used a few of my rewards points and got the $120.00 version for $17 and some change.

Being able to get complete editions of games at a discount or on sale is IMO way cheaper than buying a disc.

I can fully understand if someone is a collector of physical media, I used to be,but no longer want to mess with it.

I do have a few original Xbox games in boxes, but other than that? I couldn't honestly say the last physical game I bought.
“I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest – If you can’t take it, you shouldn’t play!” Jack Lambert
Quote:
“Quarterbacks should wear dresses.” Jack Lambert
Old 03-21-2024, 02:03 PM   #44
MVP

lowpaiddonkey10's Arena

Since some of my games that I bought for the PS4 digitally have gone missing I would say I wished I had bought the physical copies. No recourse I am sure. They show up in the trophy section so obviously I have played them but they are nowhere to be found.
Old 03-23-2024, 11:42 AM   #45
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpaiddonkey10
Since some of my games that I bought for the PS4 digitally have gone missing I would say I wished I had bought the physical copies. No recourse I am sure. They show up in the trophy section so obviously I have played them but they are nowhere to be found.
I've been playing MLBTS24 digital download version for the last week. First sports non-disc game I've ever had. So far my experience has been as great as any disc-based game. But however, in a couple or three years when the disc version price hits rock bottom, I plan to buy it a precautionary backup. I don't know if I will willingly go digital only when EA CFB hits shelves, either way disc or download, both options are on the table, so right now I'm no longer a hardliner against digital downloads.
#44Syracuse
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-27-2024, 02:52 AM   #46
MVP

zello144's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpaiddonkey10
Did you check your library? They should be there.
Old 04-08-2024, 05:42 PM   #47
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

I'm a hardliner again against digital downloads, at least for anything over 20 bucks. I spent $137 for what amounted to a 3 week rental for MLB The Show 24. I was somehow unlinked from my profile and I don't remember what the email address or password for that matter was, so I created a new email and profile, which worked perfect for 2 days. Then, unknowingly thinking I no longer needed the old profile, since I couldn't log into it anyway. I deleted it. MAJOR mistake. The digital download belonged to the profile, not me. I owned nothing. You would *think* it would at least be tied to my PlayStation. But no. So any thing over 20 bucks is a dealbreaker non-starter for me, moving forward.
#44Syracuse
Old 04-08-2024, 06:14 PM   #48
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

I haven't purchased a physical copy of a game since the end of the PS3 era I believe. I prefer digital, I don't want to have store a bunch of physical media.

I haven't really bought any media in physical format for probably 10 years or so. I'm good with that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »