Home

Undisputed Content Update Adds More Fighters, Venues, AI Improvements & More - Patch Notes

This is a discussion on Undisputed Content Update Adds More Fighters, Venues, AI Improvements & More - Patch Notes within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 02-05-2023, 11:52 PM   #65
MVP

sva91's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Undisputed Early Access Impressions - Coming for the Belt

Game is pretty damn good if you learn mechanics. I thought it was ok at first, but the more I play, the more I appreciate it. Def has its issues, but it has a ton of potential. Loving it so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2023, 10:50 AM   #66
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
I did NOT play the beta, just watched people streaming it - I have Mac gear and consoles so for early access I got a 1 month shadow pc subscription and bought the game on steam and play it through that service.

I will say now that I've calmed down a bit lol, playing it on 'pro' as others suggested give a much better experience - but it still has major flaws. At least the cpu throws punches now that aren't counters lol.

These 'mechanics' though are game design choices meant to overcome certain realities about playing a game vs real boxing - I get it! But those choices could have been so much different and once you go down a certain road it's hard to back out of it. I have a bunch of personal opinions about how to overcome certain things from a design perspective but they don't really want to go a new way.

Really most combat games struggle with trying to hit someone else vs the fear of getting hit. I think in real life many knockdowns happen when 2 guys are punching at the same time - to me that is the most dangerous time is during 'exchanges'. In this game as I mentioned it's all about counters. In real boxing counters ARE effective, but they aren't a guarantee and they certainly aren't so common that you get 10-20 per round. So you put that against a situation where 2 guys can throw big shots in the pocket and have a 6 landed each at the same time and then get rocked by a quick block, weak looking shot it just Forces you to play the counter game. i think if all shots mattered other than maybe the jab you'd have a better game and train the player base to avoid getting hit. If all they did was remove the counter window completely and increase damage of all shots that would be a drastic improvement. You could also increase the damage if getting hit while throwing as well (provided it lands flush or on the chin)

There are definitely good things going on with the game - but as I said - when Core design decisions don't jive with you, it's hard to overcome.

Remembering also that it's early access - they can totally improve the AI and make offline fights much more interesting. I'd love to chase someone like Leonard around the ring hunting for shots while he's dancing away and stinging me with jabs - THAT Would be a new experience, something we haven't seen before. Right now it just leaves a bad taste when this new/different promising game feels so much like FN champion.

Another thing I forgot to mention is it's a getting rocked fest. So if you up the damage the most noticeable difference is that both guys get rocked even more. So it's not like there are more knockdowns and Ko's on their own or more overall damage (these are only as a result of more rocks). That part of the game is already a little weird - they need a lot more variety there. Upping the damage should make each shot do actual more damage - the long term kind. The way the game is now you throw 7 punches and get gassed in the short term, if you get popped it's a way higher chance of getting rocked by any shot... that is another 'game mechanic' that feels a bit silly. A volume puncher doesn't get rocked after missing a bunch of shots because his short term stamina is down - that kind of meter-watching isn't good for a boxing game. I get that they want to stop people from spamming punches non-stop but this again boils down to a design decision that makes the game less representative of the sport.

Things hard to fix as well are the constant body shots-meta/controls in general are wonky (L3 slip + direction, L1 + punch for body, power body show for example would be L1+R1+x) there are a few other examples - they need to add more options or customize.

So in the interim I'm going to continue to play and try all the boxers etc, I'm just not sure it will have the staying power to keep me around. Sorry for the novel here guys I'm just a big boxing fan and was overly hyped for the game.
Agree with a lot of your points sir! What's that old boxing cliche... "you're never more vulnerable than when you're throwing you a punch". I'd like to see directional blocking also added. Being able to throw a left-hook to the body (orthodox stance) while also keeping your right hand high to protect against a counter hook would be nice.

Right now I think AI stamina is by biggest pet peeve. Well that and anyone using Sugar Ray Robinson online. He's no doubt one of the greats but he has zero weaknesses. Stamina, Power, speed, footwork, all nearly maxed out. Back to stamina though, I was def throwing too much at first but even after more careful with my output the AI stamina decreases too slowly. I have noticed that the higher difficulty levels bring out more traits from the AI. Fought Gatti on Undisputed and he was tough. Head down, cutting off the ring, trying to destroy by body. I was able to beat him on points with Sugar Ray Leonard but he def rocked me a few times and made me get on my bike.

@gotmadsklils - I think the ring size is spot on. It's tighter for the big guys but there's enough room to maneuver for the non-heavyweights. In the fight I just mentioned vs Gatti I had to make a conscious effort to stay in the middle of the ring. I couldn't afford to get corned so I was using Loose Footwork + retreating jabs to get out of tight spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
Double posting because I'm a gangster, but the roadmap worries me. Maybe I'm traumatized from Madden, but any variation of "competitive fairness/balance" is a red flag to me. Plus I don't like seeing that they put maximize fun above authenticity.

Leads me to believe that a hyper aggressive focus on counters style of play is an intentional design choice and here to stay
I think it's a mix of intentional design + the majority of the fighters they have licensed are boxer punchers. A lot of the popular YouTubers I follow who play this game are boxing fans first and they seem to have the ear of the dev team. I think they'll eventually find a good balance because a video game, no matter how sim I WANT it to be, needs to also be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakywwe
They also already released an update. Small things, but a good sign that they are actively listening and working on it. This is why early access exists.
For such a small team, they've showed an incredible amount of dedication in terms of updates and responding to feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
What controller are most of you using?
PS5 for me but somehow my button configuration is still set up as Xbox even though my Steam settings say PS. 100% most likely a user error by me though lol.

I really like the differences in fighters. I've boxed in real-life for a long time and am more of a defensive/counter puncher but there's something about being a Rocky Marciano or Joe Frazier and just walking guys down.
Old 02-06-2023, 03:07 PM   #67
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Another update out:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/...29159694157062

Quote:
Bug Fixes

- Fixed an issue with the get-up minigame that caused framerate issues for players by disabling controller rumble within the minigame.

- Replaced a Prize Fight that was broken and unable to be played.

- Fixed an issue that meant players fighting online always saw a high-ping warning after a fight ends, regardless of their connection.

Changes

- Boxers can no longer be dazed or knocked down by a body jab.

- Reduced AI max stamina and AI stamina recovery between rounds.

- Increased the damage bonus applied to counterpunches by 25% in an effort to reward players for good timing and for picking up on their opponent's patterns.

- We've removed Coldwell Day from the venue rotation in ranked online play while we work on improving the camera options for this venue.

- Slightly increased base punch accuracy rating across all fighters.
Old 02-06-2023, 06:47 PM   #68
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

They increased damage on counterpunches? I didn't see that coming as I thought they were doing a good amount of damage imo to begin with.
EA and 2k have the unfortunate task of trying to balance on a tightrope of fun and sim while trying not to fall 10,000 feet to their death. Instead of a safety net waiting down below there will just be angry customers quick to move out of the way and talk of their failure.
Old 02-07-2023, 12:36 AM   #69
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Well, that's a good sign re: CPU stamina:

This is on Pro, no slider changes. It just plays way differently (better imo) than Intermediate - it actually initiates offense. I've also seen it clinch and just in general play a more balanced game, rather than just fighting on the defensive. IDK what the stamina picture looked like on Pro prior to this update, but I've no complaints with that part of the game now.

I like how power punches are displayed as a separate stat on the postgame stat screens - it's clear from those that the CPU utilizes them on Pro, and as such I don't need to convince myself to hold back on the AI. It also uses the "loose" stance from time to time, as you can see in the screen above (the white boxer silhouette next to heart rate)

Last edited by bcruise; 02-07-2023 at 12:41 AM.
Old 02-07-2023, 02:23 PM   #70
MVP

OVR: 0

Any idea of when the ps5 version will be available?
Old 02-07-2023, 03:22 PM   #71
Rookie

Damn...need this on consoles man...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2023, 06:54 PM   #72
Rookie

Did they tweak something, because I’m playing this on Steam Deck with no slowdown at all.

Also is it just me, or do they seem to have that one judge who somehow has you losing on his scorecard despite the other two judges have you winning 10 rounds😂

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »