Home

Old 06-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #137
goh
Banned

OVR: 37
Re: WWE Off-Topic

There's people that did things that were nowhere near as bad that aren't acknowledged or at least acknowledged properly.

Person and performer are harder to seperate these days. It's no secret Mickey Rourke won't be getting an oscar and there's a lot less people watching Mel Gibson movies now than 10 years ago.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #138
LETS GO METS!!!

Sheamazin's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorneyDave86
So I'm going to a Raw house show next Friday and they took Daniel Bryan AND CM Punk off the "featured superstars" list for the show.

That angers me beyond belief. Lord freaking Tensai is now the second billed after Cena. This better change.
Are you going to the 1 @ Stabler Arena in Bethlehem, Pa?

Im taking my kids to that 1. Advertised locally on Raw was CM Punk vs. Daniel Byran vs. Kane and Cena vs. Big Show & Big Johnny

It was originally supposed to be Punk vs.Jericho in a last man standing match.
NCAAF: Rutgers Scarlet Knights/Michigan Wolverines
NCAAB: Michigan Wolverines
Old 06-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #139
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayman
Personally, I'm still uncomfortable when I see him on my screen.

I still haven't watched disc 2 of my Wrestlemania XX DVD because I know how it ends.

I kind of doubt that will ever change. For the next 20-30 years or more that's always going to be what people think of when they see him. WWE is wise to distance themselves as much as they can from someone like that, and it's really their only play. If they were to release a Benoit set, even if all of the profits go to brain trauma study and it comes with an introduction from Vince saying that what he did was horrible, they'd still catch an unreal amount of ****. Some of you are able to put that aside when watching him and enjoy what he did in the ring. You're in the very, very small minority. Most of us get this weird feeling in our stomach and think about how horrible what he did was.
Is WM XX the one when he and Guerrero embrace at the end? I love that image. As you says, I'm one of those in the minority that can separate the performer and his worst moment.

I don't get how some people think it's so sad and terrible these former NFL players committing suicide b/c of concussions but condemn Benoit. Dude was ****ed up. If he was truly bat **** crazy or a cruel individual, I'm sure we'd have heard about it just like we hear about a lot of things backstage.

NFL films still show OJ Simpson clips. Hell, we're talking about a company in which someone was crucified on prime time. I don't think it'd be as big of an issue as some would think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 06-17-2012, 09:52 AM   #140
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
Is WM XX the one when he and Guerrero embrace at the end? I love that image. As you says, I'm one of those in the minority that can separate the performer and his worst moment.

I don't get how some people think it's so sad and terrible these former NFL players committing suicide b/c of concussions but condemn Benoit. Dude was ****ed up. If he was truly bat **** crazy or a cruel individual, I'm sure we'd have heard about it just like we hear about a lot of things backstage.

NFL films still show OJ Simpson clips. Hell, we're talking about a company in which someone was crucified on prime time. I don't think it'd be as big of an issue as some would think.
You realize Benoit did more than just commit suicide, right?

Old 06-17-2012, 10:11 AM   #141
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNGold
You realize Benoit did more than just commit suicide, right?
Seriously? Of course I do. I'm trying to understand those that mourn over the NFL players yet want Benoit to be washed away. It's like it's ok just as long as you kill yourself and only you. He had issues he couldn't control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #142
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
Seriously? Of course I do. I'm trying to understand those that mourn over the NFL players yet want Benoit to be washed away. It's like it's ok just as long as you kill yourself and only you. He had issues he couldn't control.
Again, I STRONGLY disagree here. Concussions don't lead to people murdering others. Troy Aikman and Steve Young haven't murdered anyone, no? To tie it to wrestling, Mick Foley isn't killing his wife and kids, is he?

I don't want to sound hostile here, but it's extremely irresponsible to write what Benoit did as just a symptom of too many shots to the head and not a seriously ****ed up act that should never be forgiven or explained away. Killing yourself is one thing. Plotting and taking your wife and kid with you is an entirely different thing and yes should be looked at differently. Period.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:39 AM   #143
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrick012
Again, I STRONGLY disagree here. Concussions don't lead to people murdering others. Troy Aikman and Steve Young haven't murdered anyone, no? To tie it to wrestling, Mick Foley isn't killing his wife and kids, is he?

I don't want to sound hostile here, but it's extremely irresponsible to write what Benoit did as just a symptom of too many shots to the head and not a seriously ****ed up act that should never be forgiven or explained away. Killing yourself is one thing. Plotting and taking your wife and kid with you is an entirely different thing and yes should be looked at differently. Period.
I actually agree on the concussion thing. I argued that in the Seau thread.

My point was directed to the people who defend former players commiting suicide, saying it's a symptom of the concussions. If these concussion truly **** up someone's way of thinking, how's it only limited to harming yourself?

Obviously I'm not excusing what he did. I just think there were other things going on.

Your personal opinion is your own, but you cannot argue against doctors showing proof that those shots to head lead to brain troubles later. I'm not saying that's absolutely what happened to Beniot, but diving off ladders and the top rope every night doesn't help, I'm sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 06-17-2012, 11:12 PM   #144
$$$

Chrisksaint's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrick012
No offense, but I think concussions ----> murder/suicide is quite the jump to make. Tim Brown made a similar point after Seau's death, but you don't see guys like Aikman and Steve YOung harming themselves and others.

Don't want to turn this thread into a referendum on what Benoit did, but let's just agree that Benoit had a good career that will probably never be forgotten regardless of whether WWE puts his matches on DVD or glorifies him in any capacity.
I'm not saying it directly leads to it, but it seems to be a good parallel to messed up brains which can then lead to terrible things such as dementia,etc.

Those who studied his brain said he basically had a brain of a 80 year old or older man with severe Alhzheimers disease according to this article I saw awhile back http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3005520

The whole some people don't commit suicide,etc. with concussions doesn't really work cause we don't know how bad of concussions they've had, we don't know their brains like we do Benoit's now,etc. It's been thought of and could explain the just odd behavior as from all reports is he was normal man until this point that he suffered from dementia late in his life due to his brain problems. Just like anything else in the human body, it differs from person to person just because one guy has had a few concussions and is fine doesn't mean another guy will be fine because it effected different parts of his brain, severity, and so on.

I'm in no way defending what the guy did, but like Shiz I can separate what he was as a human being and what he contributed to the companies. I'm just a believer in that there's a reason he all of a sudden snapped like this and given all that's happened to various people over the years concussions that damage the brain severely seemed to play a key role. If he really had severe dementia it's something that can cause someone to go crazy

Last edited by Chrisksaint; 06-18-2012 at 02:33 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Wrestling »