Home

Old 06-16-2012, 10:53 AM   #129
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42
Re: WWE Off-Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubernoob
I was just thinking this, and it is a serious question.

All things get better with time, correct?

My viewpoint is that, at some point in time, the WWE will distance Chris Benoit the wrestler and Chris Benoit the killer. You can preface the video however you want it. How long, if ever, do you think it will take them to release a DVD celebrating his matches? If never, how long do you think it will take for them to say "Okay. Yes we know the end of how his story went." and start putting his matches he had with others on the respective DVDs?

I am tired of watching WWE DVDs with full length matches, knowing well that Benoit had great matches with some of these performers. I know I could watch on YouTube, but I would rather own it in (at least) DVD quality.

I say it might take another 5-10 years, but down the road I think it will happen. Hope it will at least. Hell, I'd be happy if they released a DVD of his best matches, with a preface stating that there is no way of ever condoning what he has done, recognizing what was in play, and donating 75-80% of the proceeds to research for traumatic brain injuries / CTE or whatever it's called.
I think double murder falls into the category of being one of those things that can never be forgiven, no matter how much time passes. Any association with Benoit would be a PR nightmare for WWE. And for me personally, even though Benoit was good, he's not 'let's forgive him for killing his wife and kid' good. I don't even think Hogan is on that level.

Not saying that I don't personally separate Benoit's career from the way things ended. It's not like WWE is taking any youtube videos down that show Benoit in the WWE, or anything like that, so people that enjoyed him still can enjoy him. But WWE probably will (and should) never let his name onto their programming ever again, and for very good reason.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:18 PM   #130
Hoos Rising

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayman
WWE went on a Twitter parody account crusade today.

@WWE_Creative is now gone. As is the best parody account on all of Twitter, @CrankyVince.

I am sad. In the spirit of @CrankyVince, a big **** YOU to WWE.
I'm confused as to how WWE can shut down Twitter accounts? Maybe I need to actually read the Twitter terms of service, lol
Old 06-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #131
Banned

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrick012
I think double murder falls into the category of being one of those things that can never be forgiven, no matter how much time passes. Any association with Benoit would be a PR nightmare for WWE. And for me personally, even though Benoit was good, he's not 'let's forgive him for killing his wife and kid' good. I don't even think Hogan is on that level.

Not saying that I don't personally separate Benoit's career from the way things ended. It's not like WWE is taking any youtube videos down that show Benoit in the WWE, or anything like that, so people that enjoyed him still can enjoy him. But WWE probably will (and should) never let his name onto their programming ever again, and for very good reason.
I agree with 99% of this post. The only two words I do not are the bolded ones.

They put out a DVD set called Satan's Prison (an anthology of all the elimination chamber matches up to that point) about 18 months ago and the match that Benoit was in was included. Totally uncut too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #132
MVP

Santino's Arena

OVR: 7

Vince has stated that Benoit will be included as a part of WWE history but he won't be promoted or glorified. He'll be listed in title histories as well as the upcoming WWE Encyclopedia but he won't be getting another DVD for obvious reasons.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #133

ubernoob's Arena

OVR: 24

Yeah, I didn't necessarily mean forgiven.

There should definitely be a distancing between person and performer though. I also think (like the Satan's Prison DVD I should check out) that his matches should no longer be kept off of DVDs just because he's in the match.

Maybe my wording was weird.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #134
Hard Times.

Bellsprout's Arena

OVR: 40

Personally, I'm still uncomfortable when I see him on my screen.

I still haven't watched disc 2 of my Wrestlemania XX DVD because I know how it ends.

I kind of doubt that will ever change. For the next 20-30 years or more that's always going to be what people think of when they see him. WWE is wise to distance themselves as much as they can from someone like that, and it's really their only play. If they were to release a Benoit set, even if all of the profits go to brain trauma study and it comes with an introduction from Vince saying that what he did was horrible, they'd still catch an unreal amount of ****. Some of you are able to put that aside when watching him and enjoy what he did in the ring. You're in the very, very small minority. Most of us get this weird feeling in our stomach and think about how horrible what he did was.
A lot of you guys seem pretty cool, but you have wieners.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #135
$$$

Chrisksaint's Arena

OVR: 33

I hope that one day they do acknowledge he existed more when they have DVDs on the history of the company,etc. He did a lot for WWE/WCW and the concussions he got during his wrestling career is a key reason I think for how he came to be kind of similar to the problem the NFL is experiencing today.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2012, 03:47 PM   #136
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisksaint
I hope that one day they do acknowledge he existed more when they have DVDs on the history of the company,etc. He did a lot for WWE/WCW and the concussions he got during his wrestling career is a key reason I think for how he came to be kind of similar to the problem the NFL is experiencing today.
No offense, but I think concussions ----> murder/suicide is quite the jump to make. Tim Brown made a similar point after Seau's death, but you don't see guys like Aikman and Steve YOung harming themselves and others.

Don't want to turn this thread into a referendum on what Benoit did, but let's just agree that Benoit had a good career that will probably never be forgotten regardless of whether WWE puts his matches on DVD or glorifies him in any capacity.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Wrestling »