Home

EA Purchases Metalhead Software to Grow Super Mega Baseball Franchise & Develop Other Sports Games

This is a discussion on EA Purchases Metalhead Software to Grow Super Mega Baseball Franchise & Develop Other Sports Games within the Super Mega Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Super Mega Baseball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 05-20-2021, 09:44 AM   #33
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: EA Purchases Metalhead Software to Grow Super Mega Baseball Franchise & Develop O

Quote:
Originally Posted by rom3
You have to think EA realizes the revenue opportunity available by expanding the Super Mega Baseball series to other sports such as football, basketball, and hockey. This would be amazing.
An EA rep said this is something they're going to consider.
I'd be all over a Super Mega hockey title.
I'd love to see them do a boxing game as well. Something similar to Ring King, but with updated graphics and a fully fleshed out career mode. Take my money!
Old 05-21-2021, 12:49 PM   #34
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: EA Purchases Metalhead Software to Grow Super Mega Baseball Franchise & Develop O

The problem with expanding to other sports is that your not going to get these same devs doing each sport.
Old 05-21-2021, 01:22 PM   #35
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
An EA rep said this is something they're going to consider.
I'd be all over a Super Mega hockey title.
I'd love to see them do a boxing game as well. Something similar to Ring King, but with updated graphics and a fully fleshed out career mode. Take my money!
I would be interested into other Super Mega sports games. But, I do wonder how that game engine translates to other sports. Baseball is different in that it isn't a collision sport. How does the engine handle real time physics, constant multi-man interactions, AI, etc.

I'm curious to see if that engine can translate over. I don't want to see Frostbite or any other EA engine.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2021, 04:10 PM   #36
Pro

The EVHL's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
I would be interested into other Super Mega sports games. But, I do wonder how that game engine translates to other sports. Baseball is different in that it isn't a collision sport. How does the engine handle real time physics, constant multi-man interactions, AI, etc.

I'm curious to see if that engine can translate over. I don't want to see Frostbite or any other EA engine.
I always thought EA's sports titles really lacked in the "little things" department. Metalhead is a company that seemed to get those "little things" right so I'm actually not as worried about the tech as I am losing the feel/TLC that went into the game. EA's games are all lifeless. They have zero atmosphere, no passion for the respective sports they're trying to emulate imo.
Old 05-21-2021, 06:13 PM   #37
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipNotiiC_x
I always thought EA's sports titles really lacked in the "little things" department. Metalhead is a company that seemed to get those "little things" right so I'm actually not as worried about the tech as I am losing the feel/TLC that went into the game. EA's games are all lifeless. They have zero atmosphere, no passion for the respective sports they're trying to emulate imo.
I agree with that.

I do think the College games had a good atmosphere. Both NCAA Football and Basketball had good atmosphere. I always felt their devs had more creative freedom as long as the series were profitable. But I do agree that EA Sports almost has the worst atmosphere/passion compared to other sports games. Ever since start of the 7th generation, the overall presentation/atmosphere has been poor .
They don't have the "little things". They don't specialized in the finer details of the respective sports. Madden, for the last couple generations, has always felt lifeless. Every game felt the same and nothing special. Especially now, with the whole "fast to fun" approach. Where they cut out the "little things" like huddles, huddle breaks, refs, coin tosses, etc. I get that most of that was memory constraints, but in this new generation , that shouldn't be an issue

That's why I say EA Sports should only just be a resource. Let Metalhead do it's thing.
Old 05-24-2021, 06:09 PM   #38
Pro

The EVHL's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
I agree with that.

I do think the College games had a good atmosphere. Both NCAA Football and Basketball had good atmosphere. I always felt their devs had more creative freedom as long as the series were profitable. But I do agree that EA Sports almost has the worst atmosphere/passion compared to other sports games. Ever since start of the 7th generation, the overall presentation/atmosphere has been poor .
They don't have the "little things". They don't specialized in the finer details of the respective sports. Madden, for the last couple generations, has always felt lifeless. Every game felt the same and nothing special. Especially now, with the whole "fast to fun" approach. Where they cut out the "little things" like huddles, huddle breaks, refs, coin tosses, etc. I get that most of that was memory constraints, but in this new generation , that shouldn't be an issue

That's why I say EA Sports should only just be a resource. Let Metalhead do it's thing.
100% agree. Funny enough, NCAA 2004 is one of the games that really got me into sports gaming. The atmosphere was incredible (for the time and for my age lol) and the game was just non-stop fun. NHL/Madden/FIFA all lack immersive crowds imo right now. NHL and Madden specifically lack so much pre-game excitement that exists IRL so it's almost impressive that their respective video games are more boring and mundane than real life lol...
Old 05-24-2021, 06:33 PM   #39
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipNotiiC_x
100% agree. Funny enough, NCAA 2004 is one of the games that really got me into sports gaming. The atmosphere was incredible (for the time and for my age lol) and the game was just non-stop fun. NHL/Madden/FIFA all lack immersive crowds imo right now. NHL and Madden specifically lack so much pre-game excitement that exists IRL so it's almost impressive that their respective video games are more boring and mundane than real life lol...
The NCAA games got me into to college sports. I watched College Football faithfully until after NCAA 14. Over the past 6+ years, I don't watch it as much. I always felt NCAA devs had more creative freedom since it wasn't one of the flagships. So as long as they weren't losing money, they could do what they want. And since they were using a lot of the Madden's assets, they could focus on content more

But, it is puzzling how lackluster the atmosphere has been for Madden and other EA Sports games. I'm not sure if it hasn't been a focus. I wouldn't say it's developers because some key NCAA devs are on the Madden team. I wouldn't say it is the lack of a real broadcast package like ESPN for NCAA games. It was a letdown that they didn't Utilize the ESPN broadcast in all games since it had the license.

I do think the best outcome is EA has a resource only. I can see a next gen release next year 2022 and them maybe talking about Metalhead more during EA Play Live

Last edited by illwill10; 07-06-2021 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-06-2021, 02:12 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 3

Is MVP Baseball coming back?

https://twitter.com/SaycheeseDGTL/st...07870022881286

https://www.ea.com/news/announcing-t...otlight-series
July 20th says "new addition to an extremely popular and long-running EA SPORTS franchise"

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Super Mega Baseball »