Home

EA Purchases Metalhead Software to Grow Super Mega Baseball Franchise & Develop Other Sports Games

This is a discussion on EA Purchases Metalhead Software to Grow Super Mega Baseball Franchise & Develop Other Sports Games within the Super Mega Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Super Mega Baseball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 05-08-2021, 06:06 PM   #25
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: EA Purchases Metalhead Software to Grow Super Mega Baseball Franchise & Develop O

Well dam, that makes the 3rd game that was a regular in my library to go bye bye. EA has bought two of them, so there are going to become UT micro transaction cash grabs. The other just went that way thru the natural progression of catering to the almighty dollar. Oh well thats the way it goes. They make games to make money, they just used to care about other things to.

Good for MetalHead getting paid, but I wonder how many of their Devs are like "oh crap, well this sucks"?

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2021, 07:07 PM   #26
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: EA Purchases Metalhead Software to Grow Super Mega Baseball Franchise & Develop O

It is ashame how bad EA Sports reputation has gotten over the years. The height was in the 6th generation and it went down hill from there. Especially in this era where we down to 3 major publishers for sports games(not counting racing games). One positive is that at least EA Sports is trying to expand its portfolio with this, F1 racing, College Football, and PGA Tour. We don't even know about the future(if there is one) of NBA Live. As a whole, this past decade of EA Sports games have been lackluster. It's easy to blame UT, but other companies use them as well. EA Sports issue is that they provide the depth you see in other games. I still don't like the idea of forcing Frostbite on most games outside of UFC.

The major thing is EA's only involvement be as a Resource primarily. Hopefully, they let MetalHead keep their creative freedom and just be there as a resource. I'm curious to see what other future titles we see. I assume we hear more on this around EA Play
Old 05-09-2021, 11:01 PM   #27
MVP

sheredia's Arena

OVR: 12
EA, please don't mess this beauty of a game up......just leave it as is and slap on the MLB license. yes, microtransactions are inevitable, but please don't make it the focus of this game. i can see mlb the show players (me included) picking it up because it's an arcade version of MLB and easily accessible and fun to play.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:03 AM   #28
MVP

OVR: 3

They had to expect the hammering they are getting on social media from this right? From the tone of their post, it is almost as if they didn't. It's even more brutal than I thought though.
I am building a website that will host classic sport gaming rosters from years past. We have lost many great rosters for good over the past several years due to expired links. If your interested in contributing, please PM me and let the work live on forever!
Old 05-13-2021, 12:19 PM   #29
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
It is ashame how bad EA Sports reputation has gotten over the years. The height was in the 6th generation and it went down hill from there. Especially in this era where we down to 3 major publishers for sports games(not counting racing games). One positive is that at least EA Sports is trying to expand its portfolio with this, F1 racing, College Football, and PGA Tour. We don't even know about the future(if there is one) of NBA Live. As a whole, this past decade of EA Sports games have been lackluster. It's easy to blame UT, but other companies use them as well. EA Sports issue is that they provide the depth you see in other games. I still don't like the idea of forcing Frostbite on most games outside of UFC.
It is deserved, in my opinion.

I can't remember the last time they came up with something original. They just buy ideas. Although, I guess the real shame is, that ingenuity is up for sale in the first place..

I don't think this industry will truly improve until this nonsense stops.
Old 05-13-2021, 02:43 PM   #30
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden08PCgmr
It is deserved, in my opinion.

I can't remember the last time they came up with something original. They just buy ideas. Although, I guess the real shame is, that ingenuity is up for sale in the first place..

I don't think this industry will truly improve until this nonsense stops.
I'm not saying it isn't deserved. I won't blame microtransactions because of most companies does that. EA tries to "compete" with other sports games instead of trying to create the best game. When I see Longshot/FotF, I see them trying to create their own career mode that they abandoned after Superstar mode. The Yard and Superstar Ko are just new content and back of box features.

In the last decade, EA has been mostly stagnant. Look what happened to Live series. That series is pretty much canceled if we don't hear anything this year. NHL is ehh. Fifa is good, but is benefiting off of brand and global soccer fondness. Fifa has been easily selling 10 million copies for the past 10 years. Madden isn't "terrible", but it is always a wait and see approach. I haven't been excited for Madden in a long time. NCAA Football was my favorite because it did the best job of recreating the sports atmosphere. Recruiting and Coach Carousel gave it depth. But even with NCAA 14, it started to streamline Dynasty and make the mode more simple.

The hope is that EA is just a resource and doesn't get in the way
Old 05-13-2021, 10:47 PM   #31
MVP

Keirik's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by face2face
EA bought it to make money,,not to make a great game..how to make money these days? Not by selling games, but, by the microtransactions within the games.
No they bought it so they make money off of a great game. I have no love for EA but let’s be realistic here. There isn’t any indication they intend on burying this game specifically. Maybe it changes, maybe it doesn’t. As of right now, it’s just a game that increased its resources with an already great foundation.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2021, 10:16 AM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 2

You have to think EA realizes the revenue opportunity available by expanding the Super Mega Baseball series to other sports such as football, basketball, and hockey. This would be amazing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Super Mega Baseball »