Home

Official USMNT/USWNT Thread

This is a discussion on Official USMNT/USWNT Thread within the Pro Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > Pro Soccer
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-20-2011, 07:29 PM   #49
MVP

fugazi's Arena

OVR: 15
re: Official USMNT/USWNT Thread

Whatever else can be said about the USMNT...lack of strikers, lack of first touch, lack of creativity, inconsistent defenders...the most GLARING thing that I can think of is the

TOTAL lack of quality fullback play.

I can't remember ever seeing a US fullback really do much. Hejduk had a fantastic Gold Cup (or was it the ConfedCup?) in 09...but other than one or two isolated incidents, the US NEVER gets attacking production from the fullbacks.

You would think developing a fullback or two wouldn't be so difficult. Their entire job on attack consists of RUN---CROSS---RUN---RUN---RUN---CROSS---RUN

The US has for a while had a reputation for being among the most fit squads...they run for days. How is that fullback is such an empty void?
Old 11-20-2011, 08:06 PM   #50
All Star

jt45's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazi
Whatever else can be said about the USMNT...lack of strikers, lack of first touch, lack of creativity, inconsistent defenders...the most GLARING thing that I can think of is the

I can't remember ever seeing a US fullback really do much. Hejduk had a fantastic Gold Cup (or was it the ConfedCup?) in 09...but other than one or two isolated incidents, the US NEVER gets attacking production from the fullbacks.

You would think developing a fullback or two wouldn't be so difficult. Their entire job on attack consists of RUN---CROSS---RUN---RUN---RUN---CROSS---RUN

The US has for a while had a reputation for being among the most fit squads...they run for days. How is that fullback is such an empty void?
Cherundolo hasn't been great in the attack, but Chandler has done a pretty solid job of getting forward lately.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:09 AM   #51
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazi

...The US has for a while had a reputation for being among the most fit squads...they run for days. How is that fullback is such an empty void?
I'd disagree. The problem is not at the 'fullback' position. It's at the left back position.

Right back is pretty solid. Cherundolo hasn't been all that great recently, but he got a late start to the season following his summer injury and has been playing catch-up. Plus, he's getting older. But his play through the years, when healthy, has been consistently solid. Most recently, he put in a really good WC in South Africa (probably best US player overall for the tournament) and was quite solid during the '11 Gold Cup (the Final vs. Mexico could have turned out much differently if he didn't pick up an early injury).

If you go back to the '09 Confederation Cup, Jon Spector was very good towards the latter stages of that tournament, probably the best he's ever been in a US shirt. Prior to that, you got the serviceable performances of people like Hejduk, et al.

Even now, if the US had a functional left back, Timmy Chandler would be a natural, high-quality heir apparent on the right. But instead Timmy's trying to pick things up as he goes over on the left, with mixed success. Even Lichaj as a RB for the future is promising; but instead he's similarly trying to be converted into a viable LB because otherwise the pool over on that side is thin and underwhelming.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2011, 11:26 PM   #52
MVP

fugazi's Arena

i agree with both of you...

Chandler may be doing fine at present, but I was taking a long view.

I also meant to float the idea of converting a MF to FB. I don't have any suggestions at present, but did wonder if it would be a way to get some better talent on the pitch. Our MF is a crowded house.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:03 AM   #53
Obey the Father!!!!

Eton Rifles's Arena

OVR: 25

ok, a bunch matches just released for the coming up year

Friendlies on Jan. 21 against Venezuela and Jan. 25 against Panama.

the 1st round of World Cup Qualifiers were announced too.

June 8 vs. Antigua and Barbuda

June 12 against Guatemala

Sept. 7 vs Jamaica

Sept. 11 vs Jamaica

Oct. 12 vs Antigua and Barbuda

Oct. 16 vs. Guatemala.

You also got to figure they play a few friendlies between the January ones and when Qualifying starts.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:37 PM   #54
All Star

jt45's Arena

OVR: 18

Roster announced for January camp and matches against Panama and Venezuela. Heavy on MLS players and lots of new names. Glad to see Gonzalez, Sapong, Cameron to get calls.

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Mens-Na...ning-Camp.aspx

U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION - Detailed Roster
GOALKEEPERS (3): Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (7): Geoff Cameron (Houston Dynamo), A.J. DeLaGarza (LA Galaxy), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), George John (FC Dallas), Zach Loyd (FC Dallas), Michael Parkhurst (FC Nordsjaelland), Heath Pearce (Chivas USA)

MIDFIELDERS (6): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Ricardo Clark (Eintracht Frankfurt), Benny Feilhaber (New England Revolution), Jeff Larentowicz (Colorado Rapids), Brek Shea (FC Dallas), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

FORWARDS (4): Juan Agudelo (New York Red Bulls), Teal Bunbury (Sporting Kansas City), C.J. Sapong (Sporting Kansas City), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)
Old 12-22-2011, 06:37 PM   #55
MVP

fugazi's Arena

still with Ricardo Clark?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-22-2011, 06:39 PM   #56
Outback Jesus

OSUFan_88's Arena

OVR: 37