Home

NHL 2019 Offseason Thread

This is a discussion on NHL 2019 Offseason Thread within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 05-09-2019, 04:49 PM   #17

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: NHL 2019 Offseason Thread

Leafs offseason so far:
-Babcock confirmed to be returning
-Hyman out 6 months with injury(which was known during playoffs, including game 6 when Babcock stuck him out there on the PK taking faceoffs(Hyman is a winger as well) which lost the Leafs the entire series)
-Dermott out 6 months with an injury
-Tavares had minor injury during Team Canada camp(doesn't seem as serious)
-Matthews had minor surgery to remove something he had done 5 years ago

It's only May
Old 05-14-2019, 07:44 AM   #18
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenp86
Ill catch some crap for this by fellow Wings fans, but... good riddance. Guy was always over valued here imo. Never seen him as the reason we won here. It was the open check book and imo, Bowman and Nill were the brains behind the operation. Since both Bowman and Nill left, Hollands done jack. Good luck Oilers. Get ready for that 8 year Lucic extension coming soon lol maybe he'll take Howard, Helm and Ericsson with him
No you won't, lol.
Most of us Wings fans here are glad to see him go.
Since his 3 HoF players, Datsyuk, Zetterberg and especially Lidstrom moved on, he's been horrendous.
Always at the top, or near the top for highest payrolls, this team has been miserable the last few seasons.
He continued to sign vet players which did nothing but lessen the odds of obtaining a lottery pick.
Add in horrible contracts like Stephen Weiss and Darren Helm (among many others) and you have one of the most overrated managers in a long time.
He should have been tanking to get a top-3 pick for multiple years in a row and rebuilt the way Pitt and Chicago did.
In a sense, he and Babcock were a perfect couple. Both resting on past glories which had less to do about them and more to the quality of players drafted for them.

Re: Edmonton, there was a good article in The Athletic about McDavid's relationship with his mom.
She basically revealed he's been very upset with his time in Edmonton.
Sounds like a good kid, but even he must have a breaking point. I'd love to see him demand a trade if they don't make the playoffs this coming season.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:13 PM   #19
All Star

Kobalt's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Patrick Roy expected to interview for Ottawa Senators coaching job https://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/...-coaching-job/ … #Sens #ottsports #ottnews
https://twitter.com/SunGarrioch/stat...84709372928000

I think Roy would do great with that Sens group since he's good with young players + Sens' scouting staff is one of the best in the league. I also think him + Melnyk will be hilarious.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:55 AM   #20

Majingir's Arena

Sens found their coach, and it's not Patrick Roy.

They hired DJ Smith from the Leafs.

He was their assistant coach responsible for...the Penalty Kill. AKA one of the minds behind throwing Hyman out there on a broken leg to kill penalties/take faceoffs and cost the Leafs Game 6/the series.

Leafs also losing another assistant coach as well (so their specialty teams coaches are gone)

1 name replacing their assistant coaches, Paul McFarland, who was responsible for Panthers PP(which ranked 2nd in NHL last year)
Old 05-29-2019, 10:14 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

l3ulvl's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
How about recycling players?

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...ng/3638027002/

I love Dats as much as anyone, but a 41-year-old with tons of mileage is the exact opposite of what the Wings need at this point.
I'm a month late but this just blew my mind
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2019, 11:12 AM   #22

Majingir's Arena

More Leafs rumors.

Zaitsev requested a trade. Looks like Leafs could get out of his contract afterall. I'd hope they either trade him and retain nothing, or he retires and goes back to the khl.

Marleau also seems accepting of a deal. NMC so he'd have to approve. Outside of Kings and Sharks (dont see him winding up in Anaheim), not really many options.

Only issue would be cap hit. He has a 6.25m hit, but he only has a 1.25m salary for the year. I could see a 3 team deal out of this.

To Leafs:
Player from Kings or Sharks

To Kings/Sharks:
Marleau

To team 3:
50% of Marleaus salary(3.125m cap hit/625k salary)
Draft pick(from Leafs)

If Sharks are keeping Karlsson, I wouldn't mind getting Braun as part of this deal.
Old 06-02-2019, 04:07 PM   #23
All Star

rdnk's Arena

The most sensible thing for the Leafs to do would be to have Shanny, Dubas, Babcock and Zaitsev sit down and hash things out.

Alternatively they could do the Babcock special: trade assets to move Zaitsev, and then bring in Hainsey, Girardi and Polak and give them 20 minutes a game each to fill up the right side of the defense.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:39 AM   #24

Majingir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnk
The most sensible thing for the Leafs to do would be to have Shanny, Dubas, Babcock and Zaitsev sit down and hash things out.

Alternatively they could do the Babcock special: trade assets to move Zaitsev, and then bring in Hainsey, Girardi and Polak and give them 20 minutes a game each to fill up the right side of the defense.
Leafs don't exactly want Zaitsev anyways (his contract was given out by Lou).

And I don't think Dubas is gonna let Babcock do what he wants with players. Leafs re-signed their Marlies coach for 2 more seasons. Babcock has 3 years left on his deal. I think Babcock has 1-2 more seasons max to turn things around or else he's out. Leafs have already gotten rid of Babcocks assistants.

Best scenario for Leafs right now:
-Zaitsev leaves without Leafs giving up/taking back anything (retirement?)
-Marleau dealt without Leafs needing to take back anything significant (A good scenario for the 3 team deal, or even just a regular 2 team deal, is Leafs trading him to Coyotes and taking back Hossa in return)

Even Connor Brown should be dealt too. If those 3 guys are all gone, that's like 13M or so that Leafs clear off the books. Combine that with the 14M they already have in cap space, and you have 27M in space to re-sign Marner, Kapanen, Johnsson and add 1F(from AHL), 3D(1-2 from AHL). Who knows, one of Kapanen/Johnsson could be part of a deal to get a dman, so Leafs would just need to get an extra guy from the AHL to move up to the NHL(which wouldn't be so hard since they have AHL depth)

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »