Home

NHL Off-Topic thread

This is a discussion on NHL Off-Topic thread within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 04-12-2021, 12:13 AM   #1665
All Star

Kobalt's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: NHL Off-Topic thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
He'll be the Leafs best defensive forward, biggest checker, and join their below average PK.

So he fits their needs big time.

Let's not forget, this is a weak draft with poor scouting, and Leafs 1st pick is basically a 2nd. The difference in player between who the Leafs 1st pick gets vs who goes in the early 2nd round isn't very different.
https://twitter.com/scottcwheeler/st...82360587980804

I agree with Wheeler on this year's draft. 2017 was considered a terrible draft and 3 of the best young players are from that draft.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2021, 12:21 AM   #1666

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Of all teams, Bruins get Hall!? And Sabres gave him to a team within the division for just a 2nd round pick?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobalt
https://twitter.com/scottcwheeler/st...82360587980804

I agree with Wheeler on this year's draft. 2017 was considered a terrible draft and 3 of the best young players are from that draft.
I mean if you had the 30th pick in the 2021 draft with barely any real scouting, how confident would you be that the guy you draft will not only be an NHL player, but that he is the best player available at that spot?

Leafs draft strategy for a few years has been trusting their scouting department so much to the point where they've traded down multiple times with their 1st pick and still wound up getting the guy they had their eyes set on. I dont think that's as possible this year.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:55 AM   #1667
All Star

Kobalt's Arena

OVR: 41
NHL Off-Topic thread

Quote:
Of all teams, Bruins get Hall!? And Sabres gave him to a team within the division for just a 2nd round pick?I mean if you had the 30th pick in the 2021 draft with barely any real scouting, how confident would you be that the guy you draft will not only be an NHL player, but that he is the best player available at that spot?

Leafs draft strategy for a few years has been trusting their scouting department so much to the point where they've traded down multiple times with their 1st pick and still wound up getting the guy they had their eyes set on. I dont think that's as possible this year.

I get why Leafs traded a 1st round pick, they got a chance to win the SC this year, but trading it for Foligno is dumb.

I mean, Miles Wood could had been had for that price, or even Iafallo and both are better than Foligno. Leafs overpaid for the off-ice things Foligno bring rather than on-ice product.
Old 04-12-2021, 02:47 PM   #1668

Majingir's Arena

Flames deal Bennett to Panthers
Kings deal Carter to Pens

More moves coming in
Old 04-12-2021, 05:54 PM   #1669
All Star

rdnk's Arena

Mantha to Washington for Vrana, 1st, 2nd next year and Panik.

Vrana is only 25 and is an impending RFA. While probably not a part of any future core, he could be a good trade asset next season.

I'm curious to see if Panik will be bought out or become a filler player for Detroit the next few seasons.

I always liked Mantha. He's a big pure goal scorer that Detroit has not seen in awhile. However, he's just too injury prone to be any more than a supplemental piece. He's more Johan Franzen than Brendan Shanahan.

Last edited by rdnk; 04-12-2021 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:18 PM   #1670

Majingir's Arena

Memorial Cup cancelled again this year.

Another one of the reasons why I feel like draft positions dont matter as much this year, and glad the Leafs took the risk and dealt picks for players.

Someone going 60th overall in this draft might have gone in the 40s or higher if they got to play a season and be scouted fully. Similarly, someone taken 25th might have fallen to the 50s if they played their season and were fully scouted.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:01 PM   #1671
All Star

bhurst99's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Memorial Cup cancelled again this year.
I can't believe it took this long. I mean what were they waiting for? The Ontario Hockey League hasn't even played a game and has no timetable to start.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2021, 06:57 PM   #1672
All Star

rdnk's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhurst99
I can't believe it took this long. I mean what were they waiting for? The Ontario Hockey League hasn't even played a game and has no timetable to start.
Maybe they thought about doing a something different like a best of 7 (3? 5?) between the winners of the WHL and the Q, ditching the OHL and whoever was slated to be the host? I agree that it makes no sense that they waited this long.

There will likely be a bigger focus on US College and European hockey early on in this draft. Heck in all likelihood four of the top ten players chosen have played at or will play at Michigan.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »