Home

NHL Off-Topic thread

This is a discussion on NHL Off-Topic thread within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 05-18-2017, 06:14 PM   #841

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: NHL Off-Topic thread

For anyone following WHC, USA lost to Finland. Semi finals are now Finland-Sweden and Russia-Canada. Semis happen Saturday and the finals happens Sunday.

Americans lose yet another tourney. Next to Canada they have the 2nd best depth of any hockey country in the world, and obviously have many star players, but just seems like guys either don't play for them, or they lose.

Winning just 2 Olympic medals(both silvers) since NHL started going in 98 and probably won't win anything again until next time NHL goes to Olympics. At World Championships, past 50 years only winning 4 medals,all bronze. Their embarrassing showing at the WCOH. They're just getting owned by everyone.

Apparently they're 4th in the world right now which is their highest ever ranking?! So what is it that just makes USA lose so often? It's one thing if they can't win a gold medal because Canada/Russia at top are hard to beat, but even the next tier with Sweden,Czech,Finland got their number.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2017, 11:08 PM   #842
Hall Of Fame

l3ulvl's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
For anyone following WHC, USA lost to Finland. Semi finals are now Finland-Sweden and Russia-Canada. Semis happen Saturday and the finals happens Sunday.

Americans lose yet another tourney. Next to Canada they have the 2nd best depth of any hockey country in the world, and obviously have many star players, but just seems like guys either don't play for them, or they lose.

Winning just 2 Olympic medals(both silvers) since NHL started going in 98 and probably won't win anything again until next time NHL goes to Olympics. At World Championships, past 50 years only winning 4 medals,all bronze. Their embarrassing showing at the WCOH. They're just getting owned by everyone.

Apparently they're 4th in the world right now which is their highest ever ranking?! So what is it that just makes USA lose so often? It's one thing if they can't win a gold medal because Canada/Russia at top are hard to beat, but even the next tier with Sweden,Czech,Finland got their number.
this guy hates america!
Old 05-18-2017, 11:30 PM   #843

Majingir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3ulvl
this guy hates america!
I'm not making fun of them. I'm actually wondering why USA does so poorly at these tourneys? They have some of the best players in the world and SHOULD be one of the top teams every time out but they're not.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:34 PM   #844
Hall Of Fame

l3ulvl's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
I'm not making fun of them. I'm actually wondering why USA does so poorly at these tourneys? They have some of the best players in the world and SHOULD be one of the top teams every time out but they're not.
I'm just giving you **** haha
Old 05-19-2017, 04:24 AM   #845
All Star

OVR: 13

Quote:
I'm just giving you **** haha
I definitely laughed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2017, 07:40 AM   #846
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
this guy hates america!
And Freedom!!!

Majingir, I can't put my finger on it either.
The US program has developed some incredibly talented players over the past 30 years.
Defenseman, goalies, flashy forwards...

I consider the WCoH to be an albatross though. Look at all the talent they left off that roster in favour of truculance. SMH.

For the next big international tournament, hopefully they put someone with half a brain (see; not Brian Burke) in charge who loads the team with their most talented stars and lets them roll.

Also, as many talented players that the US develops, they're still not as deep as Canada (yet).
So they can't afford to have guys like Kane or Matthews stay home.
Looking at their 2017 roster, it was pretty thin talent-wise.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:01 AM   #847

Majingir's Arena

But the thing isn't just that they can't compete with Canada or Russia. They also seem to be below Finland,Czech,Sweden as well. Even without a 100% team, how are they not medalists in almost every tourney they're in?

Not just a recent issue so you can't just blame current things on it.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:47 AM   #848
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

You left out the Juniors where in the past 8 years the US has the same number of medals as Canada, and have won it 3 times to Canada's 1 and beat them twice in the final.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »