Home

NHL Off-Topic thread

This is a discussion on NHL Off-Topic thread within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 04-26-2017, 05:47 PM   #817
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: NHL Off-Topic thread

Baseball and hockey will never be cool to ESPN and the people who like watching ESPN. Nothing will change this.

Nothing. Unless people have an awakening like I did, where they were sick of everything the NBA was doing and looked for an alternative sport only to see that hockey was actually pretty awesome, they won't suddenly start liking hockey. No emphasizing skill, no high-scoring games, no intensity, no youth programs, no superstar focus, NOTHING will change that.

Just leave it be. ESPN will die on its own volition. Watch NHL Network and MLB Network.

Last edited by TheMatrix31; 04-26-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:50 PM   #818

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
Baseball and hockey will never be cool to ESPN and the people who like watching ESPN. Nothing will change this. Nothing.

Just leave it be. ESPN will die on its own volition. Watch NHL Network and MLB Network.
Speaking of which, NHL Network needs to improve. It's by far the worst of all 4 pro sports leagues in terms of their network.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:56 PM   #819
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
Speaking of which, NHL Network needs to improve. It's by far the worst of all 4 pro sports leagues in terms of their network.
Agreed. It seems....I don't know. Amateur-y. Always feels like I'm watching something on delay.

Still eons better than ESPN though.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:58 PM   #820
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
Baseball and hockey will never be cool to ESPN and the people who like watching ESPN. Nothing will change this.

Nothing. Unless people have an awakening like I did, where they were sick of everything the NBA was doing and looked for an alternative sport only to see that hockey was actually pretty awesome, they won't suddenly start liking hockey. No emphasizing skill, no high-scoring games, no intensity, no youth programs, no superstar focus, NOTHING will change that.

And yet, ESPN still broadcasts MLB on a regular basis.
So it will broadcast sports that get more than 4 households to watch it.

Re: your awakening, it's funny you mention that because that's precisely what led me to baseball.
I grew so tired of the brand of hockey the NHL shoved down my throat, that I turned to baseball and the NBA.
I don't watch a lot of basketball, but I watch a lot more than I used to.
And my love for baseball has blossomed 10-fold.

I haven't spent a dime on the NHL since the last lockout and I'll continue my little protest until the game is opened up and we see a lot more creative goals.

I realize I'm being an a'hole and should just leave this thread to those that still like the sport.
I've stayed away for the most part, but when I read the post about ESPN ditching it's hockey coverage I couldn't help myself. Sorry about that.
I'm done now.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:08 PM   #821
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

No worries man. We're on a forum to share our opinions.

I don't think ESPN does baseball any favors. Yes they broadcast a few games but they broadcast them terribly. And instead of game and player analysis, we get fluff pieces and criticism pieces about what's wrong with the game and why nobody is the face of baseball and all this nonsense which is ridiculous because baseball hasn't had this much to watch in the sport in a long, long time.

The sport is excellent and ESPN (and all sports writers and even the sport's higher officials) can't help but **** on it every time they get a chance.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2017, 06:44 PM   #822

Majingir's Arena

The main thing that'll hurt NHL too is the Canadian TV ratings. Since those ratings mean nothing to the USA networks, having 3-4M Canadian viewers tuning in to these games won't matter.

Though the playoffs did post huge numbers this year in USA:
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2017...eafs-capitals/
Old 04-29-2017, 10:54 AM   #823

Majingir's Arena

Why do people have to constantly attack PK for being who he is? Seems like certain reporters have to criticize a guy for having fun. Latest being Millbury calling him a clown for dancing during shootarounds.

That's one thing about hockey I don't like. How guys don't often have a personality or character. It's serious so often compared to other sports where guys have fun in interviews and during games. But in hockey, someone having fun gets looked down on.

If PK was some bottom line guy who wasn't good and spent more time showboating than playing hockey then sure you can criticize him, but he's one of best dmen in the NHL.

Maybe another of those 'old school vs new school' debates.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:02 AM   #824
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
Why do people have to constantly attack PK for being who he is? Seems like certain reporters have to criticize a guy for having fun. Latest being Millbury calling him a clown for dancing during shootarounds.

That's one thing about hockey I don't like. How guys don't often have a personality or character. It's serious so often compared to other sports where guys have fun in interviews and during games. But in hockey, someone having fun gets looked down on.

If PK was some bottom line guy who wasn't good and spent more time showboating than playing hockey then sure you can criticize him, but he's one of best dmen in the NHL.

Maybe another of those 'old school vs new school' debates.
I don't get it either.
PK is my favourite NHL player right now because of his style of play and how much fun he has on and off the ice.

It seems like you have to be a boring, cardboard robot like Jonathan Toews who is only capable of spitting out tired cliche's to be respected.

BTW, did Milbury rag on his colleague Roenick for this?

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »