Home

Old 01-25-2018, 09:56 PM   #9

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
re: XFL Discussion

Based on the release this seems to be more of a cut your losses early venture more than anything. I would be surprised if they make it more than a year and wouldn't at all be surprised if it never actually kicks off.

Seems to be going after the wrong target audience.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:34 PM   #10
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

I don't see how it's going to work. If it didn't work then, it won't work now.

But I understand what they're trying to do. I just don't know how they're gonna accomplish it. If they can define what a catch is, what a legal hit is, what a penalty is and can avoid endless streams of legal and political overtures and fix the problem of NFLs overexposure, then they're already ahead. I don't know how it's gonna happen though. Not to mention all the health concern stuff. And of course the poor quality of the league even independent of all that. How is the XFL gonna improve on already ****ty NFL play with ****tier players?

It's too deep already.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:07 AM   #11
Video Game Dev

Spear's Arena

OVR: 19

Hopefully 2K uses their WWE relationship to build an XFL game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Join our Discord to learn more - https://discord.gg/v8aFWkmYMT!

http://www.varsityvideogame.com
https://www.spearinteractive.com
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-26-2018, 10:19 AM   #12
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Good luck to them, but I am skeptical. I believe the NFL's declining ratings are mostly due to over saturation: Sunday night football, a Network devoted to the NFL, multiple 24 hour sports cable TV stations etc. Not sure how an additional league can benefit from that?
Old 01-26-2018, 10:49 AM   #13

Majingir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
Good luck to them, but I am skeptical. I believe the NFL's declining ratings are mostly due to over saturation: Sunday night football, a Network devoted to the NFL, multiple 24 hour sports cable TV stations etc. Not sure how an additional league can benefit from that?
For me, I find the hardest part about football broadcasts(regardless if it's the NFL or CFL) is the amount of "dead time" in games. You wait 30-40 seconds between a play every time, and then there are moments in a game where it's just overloaded with commercials.

It'd like a TD happens, extra point, commercial. Return from commercial, kickoff, another commercial. So in that span, feels like you got like 5-6 minutes of commercials and like 1 minute or so of the game.

Don't know if they still do it, but I remember seeing on NFL Network in the past they used to have every single play from every game, and it managed to fit within a 15 minute show(per game). So for a 3+ hour broadcast, only 15 minutes(really if you stretched things out abit,30 mins would be ok too) was actual gameplay.

It's similar thing as baseball, for diehard fans, they don't see an issue with it at all and don't want changes to be made. But for casual viewers(who are the ones leagues want to draw in since diehards obviously won't leave), it gets too much for them.

Last edited by Majingir; 01-26-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:57 AM   #14
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
For me, I find the hardest part about football broadcasts(regardless if it's the NFL or CFL) is the amount of "dead time" in games. You wait 30-40 seconds between a play every time, and then there are moments in a game where it's just overloaded with commercials.
Agreed. It has always been this way, but most of us have much shorter attention spans that we used to have. I grew up in the 70's & 80's, and back then I could watch a full baseball game......now I can barely make it through an at-bat. LOL.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:06 PM   #15
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
I think there's a decline, but it's largely overblown. Last year for example out of home viewing more or less erased the decline.

Viewing habits are changing, reporting on those habits are antiquated or slow to adjust IMO.

http://adage.com/article/media/nfl-r...-magna/310567/

One very tangible thing to watch is ad revenue, which is down 1.2%. https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-nfl...ess-1516918712
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-26-2018, 01:07 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

l3ulvl's Arena

OVR: 26

One of the reasons my NFL interest has gone down a little is because football seems to have become "penalty, injury, review, repeat", I have no clue how the XFL could fix that. Would be cool if they figured something out, but good luck with that

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »