Home

MLB Off-Topic

This is a discussion on MLB Off-Topic within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 05-10-2024, 02:22 PM   #19425
Horror Movie Guru

Dead2009's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB Off-Topic

I get MLB moving games to ESPN and Fox on occasion, but to put a game on Apple TV AND blacking it out on MLB TV, is ridiculous, especially when the new owner of the Orioles is the guest Mr Splash tonight ��

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2024, 04:01 PM   #19426

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead2009
I get MLB moving games to ESPN and Fox on occasion, but to put a game on Apple TV AND blacking it out on MLB TV, is ridiculous, especially when the new owner of the Orioles is the guest Mr Splash tonight ������
Future of sports broadcasting is a scary one.

I don't know what will happen if enough games get moved to streaming only services.

NBA is already moving the in season tournament and play in games to Amazon Prime, so what happens if more games start being moved there? At some point fans will just tune out.

Imo things like sports should never be restricted to specialty services/streaming. Part of the appeal and growing the fandom is the fact that it's available on the more basic of channels/services.
Old 05-11-2024, 11:50 PM   #19427
MVP

zello144's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
Future of sports broadcasting is a scary one.

I don't know what will happen if enough games get moved to streaming only services.

NBA is already moving the in season tournament and play in games to Amazon Prime, so what happens if more games start being moved there? At some point fans will just tune out.

Imo things like sports should never be restricted to specialty services/streaming. Part of the appeal and growing the fandom is the fact that it's available on the more basic of channels/services.
Part of the reason why I love the NFL. You can watch your local team over the air on your local channels. Every game even the ones on Prime or NFL network your local station will still air them.

Being a Nats fan is tough with the MASN situation my father was cheap growing up and didn't really want to pay extra for the sports channels from Directv sometimes we got lucky on the weekends and some of the local stations WDCA and DCW50 would air a game or two on saturdays and sundays though sometimes one station aired games on fridays. That eventually all stopped and it's either MASN/ESPN/Fox.

Now that streaming is a thing you're still kinda screwed if the service you subscribe to doesn't get your RSN or drops it. MASN is only on directv stream or Fubo lol. There's always piracy but baseball is the only sport I refuse to pirate they need the ratings.

I think a lot of teams should try to do what the Phoenix suns are doing. Make a deal with the local stations in your market and create a dedicated sub channel and air games OTA and also have a seperate subscription service for those that are out of market.

Last edited by zello144; 05-12-2024 at 12:03 AM.
Old 05-12-2024, 12:32 AM   #19428

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by zello144
Part of the reason why I love the NFL. You can watch your local team over the air on your local channels. Every game even the ones on Prime or NFL network your local station will still air them.

Being a Nats fan is tough with the MASN situation my father was cheap growing up and didn't really want to pay extra for the sports channels from Directv sometimes we got lucky on the weekends and some of the local stations WDCA and DCW50 would air a game or two on saturdays and sundays though sometimes one station aired games on fridays. That eventually all stopped and it's either MASN/ESPN/Fox.

Now that streaming is a thing you're still kinda screwed if the service you subscribe to doesn't get your RSN or drops it. MASN is only on directv stream or Fubo lol. There's always piracy but baseball is the only sport I refuse to pirate they need the ratings.

I think a lot of teams should try to do what the Phoenix suns are doing. Make a deal with the local stations in your market and create a dedicated sub channel and air games OTA and also have a seperate subscription service for those that are out of market.
That's really what should happen with all these streaming stuff.

Streaming on other services should take over the leagues own streaming service, but still allow the local markets to get their games on tv too.

So if you're a fan in NY wanting to watch Padres vs Dodgers or something, subscribe to Prime or Apple TV or Netflix or whoever has the streaming rights for MLB out of market games. But if you want to see Yankees vs Os, just tune into YES.
Old 05-12-2024, 03:04 AM   #19429
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Okay, it is officially time to call each and every one of you out on your bull****.

For years since stadiums have added protective netting, I've spewed nothing but hate over the nonsense. Members here have stated "You can barely tell" and things of the sort. I have made my qualms incredibly loud and clear, and furthermore have expressed that they have added them to absolutely unnecessary measures.

Well, today I joined my sister and her husband as they got tickets to a Giants game on a Mother's Day sale, and I bought the seat right next to theirs. "These seats will be fine," I said. "No net will go that far down the line," I said. Boy, was I a *******.

Here was our wonderful viewing pleasure for the game.

What. The ****. Is that.

Why, in heaven's name, is there a net in front of us? Not only is there not a netting to seats in the outfield bleachers left of the foul pole that is closer to the action, but there is virtually no way that the netting in front of us will protect us from any ball that comes our way. If it reaches our seats, it is assuredly going over the net.

I've made such a statement before that at certain angles, you'll be obstructed by much more netting and make visibility significantly worse. This is that angle.

My ticket was $72. I didn't even bring it up when I first took my seat. My sister and her husband did. The people behind us did. I just took the photos, and said: "I don't remember it being this far out." But yes, this is a problem. **** protection.

I'm going to state everything that I've said before, again:

1) The netting is not only a psychological barrier between yourself and the action, but it is also a visible barrier... a very visible barrier. If the photos aren't doing it justice, then I'm sorry. It was a very big trouble spot.

2) I'm not being protected by ****, and if I am then my fellow outfield brethren must be protected on the same level. What makes their lives, health, and safety less valuable than mine? Because they spent less? I would've gladly paid that price.

3) Speaking of which, these seats should not have the same value given the netting that is in front of me. If they were $72 before it was erected, they should be nearly half that price now (if they were more, then fine... but damn is that an expensive seat).

4) People tell me "if you don't like it, then sit somewhere else." I gladly would have, and in fact I thought this was that somewhere else. I say the same thing though without the extra netting... "If you don't feel safe there, find another seat."

Literally, look at the difference in the second shot between the netting and the fans above it. If you say that's not a problem, you're a lucky one. The folks around me shared the same sentiment.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 05-12-2024 at 03:06 AM.
Old 05-12-2024, 09:58 AM   #19430
Keep the Faith

TripleCrown9's Arena

OVR: 28

Call me on my bull**** then, because this is still one of the dumbest things to be that mad about.
Old 05-12-2024, 11:33 AM   #19431
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleCrown9
Call me on my bull**** then, because this is still one of the dumbest things to be that mad about.
Need I remind you I wasn't the first one to bring it up.

I had come from the bathroom and found my party at their seats, and as I was climbing over them they said it immediately. I hadn't even turned to look at what they were talking about yet.

You couldn't see the ball off contact half the time. We had to watch the fielders react to know where it was going.

At least I was protected though, right? Must've been a $45 seat with $27 of protection insurance (and none of it of value, since the net can't protect us from anything other than a rising line drive from underground anyway).

It's bull****.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 05-12-2024 at 12:17 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2024, 03:53 PM   #19432
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

Yeah, the official company line is they say the netting's for saftey purposes, but they go overkill with it not to protect fans from being hurt, management does it to protect themselves from frivolous lawsuits. Blame the type pitiful judges that award damages to spilled hot coffee that burns. And even tho they won't admit it, its to keep the fans from interference with players. How long until they net all of the field completely in. And from there, eventually replace the netting with the same type Plexiglas you find at hockey arenas. Damn first world problems lol.
#44Syracuse
One is convicted, the other is a liar. Billy Martin could have been talking about Donald and Joe.
Vote: None of the Above

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »