Home

Old 02-22-2023, 01:33 PM   #18505
Prince of Plakata

Jolly Roger's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB Off-Topic

With the playoffs expanding even further, we really need to attempt to develop some formal celebration of regular season success. Best records in both leagues, division winners, etc. Something more than they do now. Currently, nobody really cares if you win your division or league if you don't go on to win the World Series. That was OK when there were only 2 to 6 playoff teams, but not now.

162 games is just too long for us to wipe the slate clean after 6 months and only recognize the success of the eventual World Series champ.

If you look to soccer culture, teams play in one or two knockout cups during the season, alongside their league games. The fans really celebrate winning a cup. So if your team finishes 6th in the league, you still have the cup victory as a legitimate achievement to remember for that season.

I doubt we'll ever develop this in MLB since it's not part of the culture, but we should at least try.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2023, 02:04 PM   #18506

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger
With the playoffs expanding even further, we really need to attempt to develop some formal celebration of regular season success. Best records in both leagues, division winners, etc. Something more than they do now. Currently, nobody really cares if you win your division or league if you don't go on to win the World Series. That was OK when there were only 2 to 6 playoff teams, but not now.

162 games is just too long for us to wipe the slate clean after 6 months and only recognize the success of the eventual World Series champ.

If you look to soccer culture, teams play in one or two knockout cups during the season, alongside their league games. The fans really celebrate winning a cup. So if your team finishes 6th in the league, you still have the cup victory as a legitimate achievement to remember for that season.

I doubt we'll ever develop this in MLB since it's not part of the culture, but we should at least try.
I doubt this will ever become a thing. It's just not in sports culture here.

Even the MLS has the supporters Shield for best regular season team, not sure how much the average fan will care about that.

It's just a meaningless accomplishment for most players/teams. Not sure how they could ever change that.
Old 02-22-2023, 02:54 PM   #18507
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I really have to see their first and second halves differences now. Clearly Tampa has caught on as of recent, and obviously Arizona had a dominant beginning (or at least when they acquired Johnson and Schilling). They never have quite seen much success since but have gotten by some seasons more than others.
It was the name change, once they went from the Devil Rays to the Rays their fortunes turned around
Old 02-22-2023, 02:56 PM   #18508
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes the roof
It was the name change, once they went from the Devil Rays to the Rays their fortunes turned around
I was going to say that, but didn't think know when the official name change happened.

Also was going to mention that the Diamondbacks haven't had a bad uniform/color scheme yet, though I think their first uniform "matched" their ballpark more.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 02-22-2023, 03:28 PM   #18509
Hall Of Fame

DamnYanks2's Arena

OVR: 17

I heard the Marlins are going back to their OG Teal uniforms on fridays Those were easily the best for aesthetic reasons.

Everything else they've tried just looks like garbage. Can't beat these.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2023, 07:55 PM   #18510
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger

I mean, the players have a clubhouse champagne celebration after making the playoffs and after winning each round, and several franchises put up banners for anything and everything, so I think that's sufficient.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lolol.jpg (33.6 KB, 75 views)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post
Old 02-22-2023, 11:45 PM   #18511
MVP

zello144's Arena

OVR: 0

Are there any fielding highlights of Barry Bonds in his later career? Some people have said that he looked like an overweight mall security guard out there when he was running and now I am curious and want to see that lol.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2023, 11:56 PM   #18512
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by zello144
Are there any fielding highlights of Barry Bonds in his later career? Some people have said that he looked like an overweight mall security guard out there when he was running and now I am curious and want to see that lol.
I don't have any in particular, but he wasn't the most nimble. He was still fine, though. His greatest asset in his later years were first step and transfer time to throw.

Even given that, I would've hated to see him become only a DP in 2006 and 2007. Thank god they didn't have that in the NL then.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »