Home

MLB Off-Topic

This is a discussion on MLB Off-Topic within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 07-08-2017, 02:45 PM   #7993
MVP

rkwittem's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB Off-Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
Okay, these are star players so I can understand them not being so open to advanced stats but don't tell that to guys who've used launch angle to become massive HR hitters. I also think that a lot of advanced stats theoretically helps pitchers and the defense though sometimes the opposition can make the shift look awfully silly.

I think it's understandable with a couple of those guys since they play for real old school managers (Jones and Moustakis as well as Trout) so the culture in the clubhouses there aren't exactly embracing the advanced stats movement.

It's interesting what they say about the broadcasting too. Personally, I think baseball in some respects is the hardest to broadcast in terms of translating the on field experience to the home viewer through commentary. There are two schools of TV broadcasting of baseball that i've noticed. One is the "casual conversation" style where the PBP gives very limited information about what's going on while he chit chats with the analyst(s) and the other school (which is the one Sportsnet employs with the Jays unless Shulman is doing PBP as they tend to go the more conversational route with him at the helm) whereby the PBP guy gives a ton of data and calls the game and the analyst is very traditional in terms of adding color.

IMO a little bit of both works best. I know Bob Costas gets a lot of flack but something similar to his style with a dash of Matt Vasgersian's conversational tone would work well. I thought Vasgersian did a GREAT job during the World Series with Buck Martinez who I thought wouldn't work so well with him. It was more traditional in tone than Vasgersian usually does it but there was also some great conversation as well.
Didn't Vasgersian and Buck work together on an old MLB the Show game?
Old 07-08-2017, 02:46 PM   #7994
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwittem
Didn't Vasgersian and Buck work together on an old MLB the Show game?
Yep they did.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 07-08-2017, 03:22 PM   #7995
Crunchy

Mabster's Arena

OVR: 7

Imagine how fast games could be....

https://streamable.com/s/tha73/mweqyk

Get in the box people!

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2017, 03:39 PM   #7996

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabster

Get in the box people!
Pitch clocks are coming, whether people like it or not lol.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:58 PM   #7997
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:

Get in the box people!
This man is going to be everywhere as the face of baseball. It's going to happen soon, if it isn't already happening. Just locked in, ready to swing.

I've noticed that announcers talk about him excessively.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 07-08-2017, 06:40 PM   #7998
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

Playing fast without mandate. Almost as if if you want to play fast you don't need to have rules about it.

I like players who play with distinctive paces. Unique players with different styles.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:33 PM   #7999
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:

Get in the box people!
He's prepping for the Derby

Watch me play video games
Old 07-08-2017, 10:58 PM   #8000
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

I had a thought while playing the Show that I want to ask you guys about because I don't follow baseball as closely as I do other sports.

Conventional wisdom puts typically your fastest guy batting lead off. Have there been managers who put their speed guy at second, swapping first and second in the batting order? I don't mean guys that happen to have good speed along with other tools, I mean the Billy Hamiltons and Ricky Hendersons of the world.

What about the strategy of putting your best OB% guy at first, and your fastest guy at second?

Pros:
Almost removes the threat of GIDP, meaning higher likelihood of #3 batter having a guy on.
Excellent bunting scenario. Lead off guy gets on, fast 2 drops a bunt. Better than average chance of 2 on no out

Cons:
Speed is lost if he is behind a slow runner

Regarding the con of lost speed, really I think you only lose chances at stealing bases. Billy Hamilton can score from first almost any hit to the outfield, but I think on any hit that allows him to score from first, most #2 hitters would be able to score from 2nd. So he'll just be riding the hip of the lead runner.

I think it boils down to the prospect of lost steal opportunities vs the benefit of more RBI chances for your #3 hitter.

Thoughts? Any MLB managers past or present that did this?
(the reason I bring this up is because building a prototypical lead off guy calls for a guy with good speed and a high OB%, but I've followed baseball enough to know that speed often trumps plate discipline)

Last edited by ggsimmonds; 07-08-2017 at 11:00 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »