Home

Cities Skylines II

This is a discussion on Cities Skylines II within the Non-Sports Gaming forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 10-16-2023, 07:36 PM   #17
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Cities Skylines II

Just announced today — C:S II will forego support of the Steam Workshop and instead have a mod platform built into the game itself, allowing user-generated assets to appear on all platforms. Mods which author code, such as Traffic Manager, will remain exclusive to PC as platform-holder policies forbid such mods from appearing on consoles.

This is an absolute win for anyone who plays on console; C:S on PlayStation or XBOX obviously never supported mods. I have seen some reservations about this change from those who play on PC, though.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 10-16-2023 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-17-2023, 07:19 AM   #18
All Star

OVR: 8

https://www.ign.com/articles/cities-...he-game-anyway

So...why are they launching this if performance is bad? Oh right Paradox. They will probably release a $10 DLC for performance upgrade in 6 months
Old 10-17-2023, 08:09 AM   #19
World Series Champions!!

Cubfan's Arena

OVR: 20

Just delay the game and fix the performance issue but no Paradox going for that money and milking everyone with multiple DLC's
NBA: Chicago Bulls
NCAA: Iowa Hawkeyes
Old 10-17-2023, 10:00 AM   #20
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubfan
Just delay the game and fix the performance issue but no Paradox going for that money and milking everyone with multiple DLC's
There is nothing forcing anyone to purchase it on release day though.

Personally I'm not in favor of a delay to a game I've been looking forward to for a good while just because performance may not be whatever benchmark they came up with a year or two ago.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 10-17-2023, 10:26 AM   #21
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
There is nothing forcing anyone to purchase it on release day though.

Personally I'm not in favor of a delay to a game I've been looking forward to for a good while just because performance may not be whatever benchmark they came up with a year or two ago.
Personally, I'm not in favor of encouraging the industry to release broken games with the hope that they will fix it at some point down the road.

The release of a game always forms the foundation of its future. Once a game has been released, then most of the incentive to improve it has already been lost from the developer's viewpoint. From a fan's perspective, if the game has problems and people don't buy it then that only further hurts us because the company isn't likely to continue supporting a game that doesn't drive their bottom line. There are outliers of course, but for every No Man's Sky, there are a dozen Warhammer 3's.

Fortunately no one is forced to buy anything, but we are all less likely to get what we want when the game doesn't deliver on day 1.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2023, 10:44 AM   #22
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUowls
Personally, I'm not in favor of encouraging the industry to release broken games with the hope that they will fix it at some point down the road.
Not running optimally is not broken though.. unless perhaps you have a low end PC. And if you do, then you should now know not to purchase day one. I believe that was the entire intent of them divulging this to the public, so people would know and be able to act accordingly.

With that in mind I see no reason for any delay on this game.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

Old 10-17-2023, 02:13 PM   #23
All Star

Before the story, before the gameplay mechanics, before the features and UI, a game has to run smoothly before anything else matters. So yes, a game not running optimally absolutely is broken.

Now, ultimately we don't know what benchmarks are on this game or what exactly they mean by "temper expectations". However, this is the first time that I can recall a developer saying this on a game which they are not delaying or at least promising a day 1 optimization patch. So, we're left to speculate on what it means.

We can take some known facts and make some logical assertions though: First, the console version of this game was delayed, which at this point seems reasonable to correlate to this statement on the PC release that there are some performance issues that still need some work. Second, the number of people with high end gaming pc's is not a lot. So, if the game requires a build like mine (4090, 7900x3d, 64gb memory beast) to run smoothly, then that definitely is a reason to delay this game because we are not the customer base which will drive sales and long term support of the game. A bunch of day 1 refunds and negative scores does not help anyone, even the people whose machines are good enough to not have problems at launch.

If the game runs smoothly on a mid range system then this is a non-issue. Hopefully it's this latter point, but if that is the case then it makes this dev statement all the more peculiar since that is already the standard expectation for any PC release. Unfortunately there is some evidence that this isn't the case. The game's recommended PC specs have been updated from very reasonable to now recommending a pretty high end GPU (3080). A leaked FPS from a couple of weeks ago showed 42fps on a believed to be 3080 gpu. There are a lot of unknown variables there (how late into the game were they, what settings did they have, etc), but in almost any context that is not an encouraging thing to see from such a high end card.
Old 10-17-2023, 04:18 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUowls
Before the story, before the gameplay mechanics, before the features and UI, a game has to run smoothly before anything else matters. So yes, a game not running optimally absolutely is broken.
optimal is entirely subjective based upon hardware and preferences. it does not at all mean the game is "broken."

I'll be playing the "broken" game next week, which I guess makes me a wizard of epic proportions to be able to do what you say is not possible

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »