Home

NFL 2K release date info possibly announced Monday May 16th. (Nothing was announced.)

This is a discussion on NFL 2K release date info possibly announced Monday May 16th. (Nothing was announced.) within the NFL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience
Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2022, 10:20 PM   #17
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: NFL 2K release date info possibly announced Monday May 16th. (Nothing was announc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
They went into detail on what the future of GTA, Red Dead and NBA 2k meant for new income including potential DLC and subscription fees each game still had the potential to earn but when a question was asked about new updates to the NFL game he totally side stepped it. It wasn’t about what kind of playable state the game was in currently.
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but: if I recall correctly, publicly traded companies have disclosure rules around things which earn them 10% or more of their incoming revenue for a fiscal year.

I am going to guess Take 2 is more readily go into detail about (and might be required to go into detail about) existing major franchises and IPs which are actively earning them a lot of money and materially affecting their stock’s near- and long-term investment outlook.
Old 05-16-2022, 10:50 PM   #18
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: NFL 2K release date info possibly announced Monday May 16th. (Nothing was announc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but: if I recall correctly, publicly traded companies have disclosure rules around things which earn them 10% or more of their incoming revenue for a fiscal year.

I am going to guess Take 2 is more readily go into detail about (and might be required to go into detail about) existing major franchises and IPs which are actively earning them a lot of money and materially affecting their stock’s near- and long-term investment outlook.

Fair enough, I don’t know enough about what they are required to disclose and what they avoid to say personally. They mentioned the acquisition of Zynga multiple times and what that meant for future earnings in the call and I believe that was even more recent than the NFL deal

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 05-16-2022, 11:27 PM   #19

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

It's important to know that earnings calls have one purpose only, they are a requirement for the company to discuss their financial health and well being for the previous cycle and will often include some projections for future but that is never incredibly specifics.

They tend to stick to fact and things we already know that could help bolster their financial picture in the coming cycle (such as the purchase of a new tech as mentioned above).

They are not, and never have been an advertisement ploy to get people interested in buying their products that are upcoming.

It's simply a call (that the company) hopes accomplishes two things. Keep current investors who may be on the fence about selling or remaining invested, and potential investors who may be interested in buying. Obviously over the years gamers have caught on to these calls as potential easter eggs and they certainly can be at times but that is relatively rare.

To hear anything in an earnings call and lose hype or become more hyped is misguided. You can take no specifics given about this game two ways and really we have no way of knowing for sure which way to take it. The positive way to think would be that they simply don't have enough to share and don't want to mislead shareholders (financial ruin if they do that). The negative way to think would be that they didn't want to give information because they think it may turn away current shareholders or potential shareholders. Obviously not too likely in this scenario since it's a new title anyway but there is just no way to know the motivation for not talking more specifically about a certain game.

We need to remember that at least 90% (probably higher) does not care at all about the specifics of any of their games. These calls are largely investors first and of that list, maybe some are gamers, maybe some are not. No way to tell.

Just as an example, I have stock in Pepsi and out of curiosity I've joined a few of the boring calls. They've never discussed a specific new pop flavor that's coming out that may incredibly boost their sales. They only talk about what they've done and what they will be doing. Pretty basic.

Not a great comparison but just putting it out there to say that hearing nothing today shouldn't be assumed to be either bad or good news. It sounds like it was just a typical earnings call.
Old 05-19-2022, 09:34 AM   #20
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbayless
You have a point
That NFL License had to cost them millions
Only for them to make a playground type of game and expect to make a lot of sales isn't realistic
Just look at WWE battle grounds i dont remember any kids or casual going crazy for that game
Plus most of the gamers from 2k5 grew up
If Little Timmy dont beg mommy to buy this new NFL Arcade
2k might be in trouble eventually financial wise
GTA Online alone is enough to hold 2k down financially
Old 06-02-2022, 10:31 AM   #21
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

Well the NFL season starts September 8, Madden releases August 19. A little more than a 2 week window. If you were 2k would you drop your game there or a couple weeks before Madden? Preseason starts August 11

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2022, 01:58 PM   #22
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
Well the NFL season starts September 8, Madden releases August 19. A little more than a 2 week window. If you were 2k would you drop your game there or a couple weeks before Madden? Preseason starts August 11
I would avoid competing with the cultural juggernaut that is Madden NFL and avoid that game's release window entirely. I'd instead look to release around the holiday window. That is a PR battle a new title with no name recognition cannot possibly win; like, we don't even know for sure that this game is called "NFL 2K" yet.
Old 06-02-2022, 02:27 PM   #23
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

Quote:
I would avoid competing with the cultural juggernaut that is Madden NFL and avoid that game's release window entirely. I'd instead look to release around the holiday window. That is a PR battle a new title with no name recognition cannot possibly win; like, we don't even know for sure that this game is called "NFL 2K" yet.

I agree they would want to avoid Madden.
Problem is that 2k wanted to release in the holiday window but the NFL didn’t want that and requested they release before the season in 2021. That was part of the reason for the delay last year apparently

Old 06-02-2022, 02:37 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
That's what 2k wanted to do last year before delaying it. According SGO, NFL wants it out before the NFL season as a well to help hype up the upcoming NFL season. For a NFL game, I don't know if releasing in November makes as much sense with most of the season being from September-January. I do agree with completely avoiding the Madden release window. But that means either late July/early August or September. You also have to consider that the CFB game will be a early-Mid July game as well.

But since this isn't a sim football game, I don't feel releasing coinciding with the start of the season is as important. So going early or later works either way. But I don't like NBA2K releasing 6 weeks prior to the NBA. I feel it should release in early October. So for this game within a month before or after makes sense.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K »