Home

When Will The Official Reveal Happen?

This is a discussion on When Will The Official Reveal Happen? within the NFL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 11-04-2023, 01:02 AM   #369
MVP

tsbmolina's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: When Will The Official Reveal Happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
To your point, non of us know what's true so you shouldn't be making the claim that the NFL has the final say as if you know it to be a fact.

The NFL doesn't care about sim. They care about how their product is portrayed in video games. They don't even know what sim is or means.

Logic says that since EA were the ones that had to agree to 2k getting the license they would be the ones to determine what would or wouldn't directly compete with their game.

If the NFL were to sign off on 2k releasing something that ended up being a direct competition to Madded, EA (And I hate to say this) would have a strong argument*at litigation against the NFL.
Do you think the NFL, the league that controls everything with an iron fist, would really give EA final say over their license. I find that hard to believe.
It’s the NFL that has the final say not EA. You almost make it sound as if EA owns the NFL license and it’s their league to do what they want with the license. The NFL always has full control over their property and shield there is zero doubt about that. It’s really a moot point after the 2024 season as that is the last year of the contract where the NFL can either add an extra year to the EA contract or open up the license to multiple developers.
My prediction is this current EA exclusive contract will be the last of its kind for the NFL. The NFL will open up the license at a set price and if you want to cry that’s it’s too expensive for it not to be an exclusive license you can kick rocks and touch grass or pay the fee. Only two companies will have the capital and be willing to pay the license fee. Both EA and TakeTwo will cough up one billion each for a multi year contract just like CBS and Fox does with the TV contacts. The NFL will benefit in multiple ways. They will make more money from two lucrative contracts. The NFL will get more exposure for the simple fact that there will be competing products, and it will expand the market with higher sell through numbers. Competition will raise the quality of NFL video games and expand the market and bring in millions of new players and potential viewers of the real on field product. The NFL wins wins wins.

Last edited by tsbmolina; 11-04-2023 at 05:25 AM.
Old 11-04-2023, 12:09 PM   #370

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsbmolina
Do you think the NFL, the league that controls everything with an iron fist, would really give EA final say over their license. I find that hard to believe.
No - and I never came remotely close to even suggesting that. It's almost as if you just saw my name, never read any of my posts, and just wanted to debate me.

Quote:
It’s the NFL that has the final say not EA. You almost make it sound as if EA owns the NFL license and it’s their league to do what they want with the license. The NFL always has full control over their property and shield there is zero doubt about that. It’s really a moot point after the 2024 season as that is the last year of the contract where the NFL can either add an extra year to the EA contract or open up the license to multiple developers.
My prediction is this current EA exclusive contract will be the last of its kind for the NFL. The NFL will open up the license at a set price and if you want to cry that’s it’s too expensive for it not to be an exclusive license you can kick rocks and touch grass or pay the fee. Only two companies will have the capital and be willing to pay the license fee. Both EA and TakeTwo will cough up one billion each for a multi year contract just like CBS and Fox does with the TV contacts. The NFL will benefit in multiple ways. They will make more money from two lucrative contracts. The NFL will get more exposure for the simple fact that there will be competing products, and it will expand the market with higher sell through numbers. Competition will raise the quality of NFL video games and expand the market and bring in millions of new players and potential viewers of the real on field product. The NFL wins wins wins.

Here is the logic I'm basing everything I already said off of:

We KNOW EA and NFL had an exclusive agreement that allowed EA to be the only video game company to make an NFL football game.

Agreements like that cannot be broken by either side without consent from the other party. In the same vein that everyone (here) would love to see EA take a year off to shore up their game, we know they can't because they are contractually obligated to release a game each year.

When the NFL went to EA to discuss allowing 2K to make an NFL game again, EA is well within their rights to agree along with stipulations that they determine.

They could have just said no and that would be that.

This site can't even agree what is and isn't sim at times. It's quite logical to make the assumption that EA absolutely does have a say in looking at what 2k is doing and either saying yes, this is okay, or no, this is too close to sim and is a direct competition to their game.

You could argue it may hurt their future with the NFL but as of right now it doesn't matter.
Old 11-05-2023, 04:40 AM   #371
MVP

tsbmolina's Arena

Quote:
No - and I never came remotely close to even suggesting that. It's almost as if you just saw my name, never read any of my posts, and just wanted to debate me.

Here is the logic I'm basing everything I already said off of:

We KNOW EA and NFL had an exclusive agreement that allowed EA to be the only video game company to make an NFL football game.

Agreements like that cannot be broken by either side without consent from the other party. In the same vein that everyone (here) would love to see EA take a year off to shore up their game, we know they can't because they are contractually obligated to release a game each year.

When the NFL went to EA to discuss allowing 2K to make an NFL game again, EA is well within their rights to agree along with stipulations that they determine.

They could have just said no and that would be that.

This site can't even agree what is and isn't sim at times. It's quite logical to make the assumption that EA absolutely does have a say in looking at what 2k is doing and either saying yes, this is okay, or no, this is too close to sim and is a direct competition to their game.

You could argue it may hurt their future with the NFL but as of right now it doesn't matter.
Where do you get your info that the NFL went to EA to ask for permission for the NFL to license there product to 2K? I’ve never read that anywhere. The NFL is the one that writes the contracts and the criteria which the license can be used not EA.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2023, 06:20 PM   #372

kehlis's Arena

Quote:
Where do you get your info that the NFL went to EA to ask for permission for the NFL to license there product to 2K? I’ve never read that anywhere. The NFL is the one that writes the contracts and the criteria which the license can be used not EA.
I didn't get "it" anywhere. I just have a basic understanding of how contracts work.
Old 11-05-2023, 07:18 PM   #373
MVP

tsbmolina's Arena

Quote:
I didn't get "it" anywhere. I just have a basic understanding of how contracts work.
Really? So basically you’re just guessing because all contracts are unique. They are not generically written and printed from some online web site. If you have basic understanding of how contracts work than you would know the licensor not the licensee writes the terms of the contracts.

Last edited by tsbmolina; 11-05-2023 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-05-2023, 08:02 PM   #374

kehlis's Arena

Quote:
Really? So basically you’re just guessing because all contracts are unique. They are not generically written and printed from some online web site. If you have basic understanding of how contracts work than you would know the licensor not the licensee writes the terms of the contracts.
I know you didn't even read my posts but I admitted that already:

Quote:
To your point, non of us know what's true so you shouldn't be making the claim that the NFL has the final say as if you know it to be a fact.
Non of us know what's true or written into the contract.

I happen to be of the belief that an "exclusive" deal can't be broken or altered without mutual agreement. Which as I've said now for a fourth time, is what I'm making my assumptions off of.

If you don't make that connection, that's cool. EA has pretty good lawyers too though....
Old 11-05-2023, 11:34 PM   #375
MVP

zello144's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Bro people said that last time when EA's contract was about to expire. Guess what happened the owners all voted to renew it. The NFL and the owners do not care about the quality of the game they don't play games. The majority of the owners are in their 50s-70s the last thing on their minds is video games. They only care about how much money it's bringing in for them and how many copies they sell. That contract will auto renew itself every couple of years.

I also don't believe it'll be the last of it's kind exclusive contract because the NFL loves exclusive contracts. They do exclusive contracts for everything The exclusive Pizza of the NFL, The Exclusive tires of the NFL, the exclusive shower head of the NFL and on and on.
https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.co...or-roster.aspx

Last edited by zello144; 11-06-2023 at 12:45 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-06-2023, 02:29 AM   #376
MVP

tsbmolina's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by zello144
Bro people said that last time when EA's contract was about to expire. Guess what happened the owners all voted to renew it. The NFL and the owners do not care about the quality of the game they don't play games. The majority of the owners are in their 50s-70s the last thing on their minds is video games. They only care about how much money it's bringing in for them and how many copies they sell. That contract will auto renew itself every couple of years.

I also don't believe it'll be the last of it's kind exclusive contract because the NFL loves exclusive contracts. They do exclusive contracts for everything The exclusive Pizza of the NFL, The Exclusive tires of the NFL, the exclusive shower head of the NFL and on and on.
https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.co...or-roster.aspx
The logic behind exclusive video game contracts in todays market of maximizing profit makes as much sense as the NFL going exclusive with its tv contract. In other words it would make zero sense. Imagine all the money the NFL would leave on the table if it sold the tv rights to all of its games to one network. The NFL thought giving the exclusive rights to EA made sense years ago because they had confidence in the EA brand and the NFL was upset at 2K for selling NFL 2K5 for $20. The fact that EA has failed to expand the video game audience with sell through numbers in 20 years and the below average yearly review scores is pretty remarkable. Sure madden makes a ton more money for EA due to micro transactions. The fact is the NFL wants to expand its audience particularly the younger demographic that EA has failed to reach in greater numbers. I understand the NFL makes a ton of money through exclusive contracts but at this stage who do you think has the upper hand? If say the NFL decided they are done with exclusivity and instead opt for a set price and open it up for other developers do you think EA would go the way of FIFA and make a Madden game without real NFL teams? At the end of the day the NFL will benefit and make way more money by opening up the license at a high entrance fee. Also by doing so they will have competing products which in turn will create more advanced games and in the process bring more interest and excitement into NFL football gaming. At the same time they will make more money off of selling the license to multiple competitors at a set cost for simulation football. There’s a reason why 2K football has been quiet since 2019. I believe the NFL 2K title started off as an arcade game but at some point during development things changed. 2K has been developing a NFL simulation title for 4 years now with 2 years left of development time for release in 2025. No way all of this time is being used solely on an arcade title. While I believe there’s still a chance for an arcade title to come out in 2024, since 2K did say it had multiple titles in development. If the arcade game doesn’t come out next year, then the focus is solely on the simulation game. Bank on it and if I’m wrong I will take the humiliation.

Last edited by tsbmolina; 11-06-2023 at 07:17 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K »