Home

Playbooks Play-Type Assignments They should add

This is a discussion on Playbooks Play-Type Assignments They should add within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 02-21-2012, 03:02 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 19
Re: Playbooks Play-Type Assignments They should add

pick and pop and pick and roll should be two different plays and tendencies/ratigns should be involved in how effective the player is at running the play. both the the ball handler and person who sets the picks.

give us more control. Id hate tendencies to get in the way of an open lane ona potential pnp vs pnr
Old 02-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #10
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

To start, we probably need 5-6 Play Type slots available for each player instead of the default 4. There are already a number of players (mostly stars) where I've been forced to overstate their Freelance tendencies along with Hotspots in certain areas to get them touches where I couldn't get them a Play Type.

Next, I'd like to have a tendency specifically for Roll/Pop on the P&R for plays where there is no specific type (PnP, PnR, P&R, Roll, Fade, Pop) or for option plays which could then make the Drive To Basket tendency exclusive to transition and fast break situations.

Then, I'd like to see Handoff plays broken out of the individual Play Type categories. It's nearly impossible to get certain guys their Handoff looks without giving them at least Mid Range and Cutter plays which then leaves only 2 play type options remaining for use. Separating Handoff plays from Cutter would also allow the Cutter play type to be focused on hard cutting action towards the basket.

I somewhat disagree that Alley-Oop should be a specific Play Type because I don't think that specific Alley-Oop plays should exist and also doubt that there would be more than a handful of designed Alley-Oop plays available in the whole game (only a couple right now in 2K12). What I'd prefer to see are more Cutter plays with a backdoor option and a more intelligent CPU that can identify alley-oop opportunities off backdoor cuts and cuts to the basket. There are a lot of plays right now with potential backdoor alley-oop options that will NEVER get executed by the CPU because they seem to be hard scripted into choosing one or two pass options by the play system.

That gets me to my last point which is somewhat off-topic: Freelance passing.

If the play system as a whole were designed to allow more freelance/unscripted passing within the context of the set play, then each actual play in the game becomes 2-3 plays within itself much like the way plays are executed in an actual basketball game at ANY level.

Most P&R plays are also 3PT plays by design (Spot Up, Off Screen, or Cut off-ball).
Most Cutter plays are also Alley-Oop or Mid Range plays by design (Backdoor or Off Screen).
Some High Post plays are also Low Post plays (High/Low action) or Cutter plays (Horns).
Some Low Post plays are also potential 3PT plays (Inside/Out spot up action similar to what Dwight Howard does with the Magic).

One of my main problems right now with the playbooks and play execution is that the CPU only acknowledges one or two of these options per play instead of allowing players to Freelance actions within the scheme/design of the play. We can pretty much control all of those Freelance actions via Tendencies and Hotspots, so why not let the gameplay take advantage of them?
Old 02-21-2012, 07:29 PM   #11
MVP

SwaggerCoach's Arena

OVR: 10
Agree with youalreadyknow 100%...because apparently, I already know.

I would just love for 2K to overhaul the pick and roll/pop control scheme. Give me one button press that allows the screener to choose what to do on default. Give me one that makes him roll. And give me one that makes him pop. Why all 3? I get both total control and realism if I want it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #12
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
To start, we probably need 5-6 Play Type slots available for each player instead of the default 4. There are already a number of players (mostly stars) where I've been forced to overstate their Freelance tendencies along with Hotspots in certain areas to get them touches where I couldn't get them a Play Type.

Next, I'd like to have a tendency specifically for Roll/Pop on the P&R for plays where there is no specific type (PnP, PnR, P&R, Roll, Fade, Pop) or for option plays which could then make the Drive To Basket tendency exclusive to transition and fast break situations.

Then, I'd like to see Handoff plays broken out of the individual Play Type categories. It's nearly impossible to get certain guys their Handoff looks without giving them at least Mid Range and Cutter plays which then leaves only 2 play type options remaining for use. Separating Handoff plays from Cutter would also allow the Cutter play type to be focused on hard cutting action towards the basket.

I somewhat disagree that Alley-Oop should be a specific Play Type because I don't think that specific Alley-Oop plays should exist and also doubt that there would be more than a handful of designed Alley-Oop plays available in the whole game (only a couple right now in 2K12). What I'd prefer to see are more Cutter plays with a backdoor option and a more intelligent CPU that can identify alley-oop opportunities off backdoor cuts and cuts to the basket. There are a lot of plays right now with potential backdoor alley-oop options that will NEVER get executed by the CPU because they seem to be hard scripted into choosing one or two pass options by the play system.

That gets me to my last point which is somewhat off-topic: Freelance passing.

If the play system as a whole were designed to allow more freelance/unscripted passing within the context of the set play, then each actual play in the game becomes 2-3 plays within itself much like the way plays are executed in an actual basketball game at ANY level.

Most P&R plays are also 3PT plays by design (Spot Up, Off Screen, or Cut off-ball).
Most Cutter plays are also Alley-Oop or Mid Range plays by design (Backdoor or Off Screen).
Some High Post plays are also Low Post plays (High/Low action) or Cutter plays (Horns).
Some Low Post plays are also potential 3PT plays (Inside/Out spot up action similar to what Dwight Howard does with the Magic).

One of my main problems right now with the playbooks and play execution is that the CPU only acknowledges one or two of these options per play instead of allowing players to Freelance actions within the scheme/design of the play. We can pretty much control all of those Freelance actions via Tendencies and Hotspots, so why not let the gameplay take advantage of them?
Great stuff in there I pm'd you but you box was stuffed. Practically everything you wrote was included in my suggestions for 2k12. So I def feel where you are hoping it goes.

With the play types there was a decision point where It was either 8 play types per player but they couldn't be weighted or 4 weighted. At the time there was no option for both. IF that should happen again and this goes to everyone are you wanting the more playtypes over the fewer and weighted ?

I felt the weighting would give roster makers more control over the outcome as there was no other way to control how often another type would be selected
Old 02-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #13
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

OVR: 26

I think they need to perfect what they have before adding more things that are broke within the playbook. Fix the speed at which guys run plays at and the 354 plays that do not work! This is the problem when we move forward and try to add more things and forget about fixing what needs to be fixed in the 1st place to improve the gameplay out of the box.

But I agree 100% with ALL that yAk said!

I would also like to see the dribble handoff play type separated from mid range and cutter as well. If you have Kobe and J McRoberts with a cutter play type it eliminates having the realism of having a dribble handoff action between Pao and Kobe because now you will see McRoberts run that same action.

If we can't assign plays per player, and we have to keep the current system (which isn't bad) then definitely add a few more play types. Please do not go backwards and eliminate the play system we have now. It has a ton of potential.

2 things that need to be added are:

1-options for players - meaning a PG using a pick can go off either way and not just in 1 direction that the play is assigned to go. Same with reading how the defense plays you when deciding to cut, flare, or curl off a pick. They have this in the game with a few plays like IND option 12. Add this to more plays and the plays they currently have.

2-If we are just talking play types then handoffs and whoever said PNP would be a good way to start. I think if they do this however they need to give us the ability to assign 5-6 play types per player. Also better organize the way they separate a play in the playbook in game on the fly. Its a cluster you know what as of now.

I also disagree with making the alley oop a play type unless we get 8 or so play type assignments available for players.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #14
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
With the play types there was a decision point where It was either 8 play types or 4 weighted. At the time there was no option for both. IF that should happen again and this goes to everyone are you wanting the more playtypes over the fewer and weighted ?
I prefer more play types as it gives us options. I would love the ability to weight plays so there is a system and a method to the madness of which play is called in a game though. Like I said before Id hate to see us go backwards and have fewer plays.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:08 PM   #15
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
I prefer more play types as it gives us options. I would love the ability to weight plays so there is a system and a method to the madness of which play is called in a game though. Like I said before Id hate to see us go backwards and have fewer plays.
So to be clear your in favor of more play-types even if they can NOT be weighted.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2012, 08:11 PM   #16
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
So to be clear your in favor of more play-types even if they can NOT be weighted.
Are we getting more plays that can be weighted for an individual or per team?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »