Home

Passing in the paint ?

This is a discussion on Passing in the paint ? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 10-24-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61
Passing in the paint ?

Men and bretheren i have read about the difficulty of making passing intothe paint. Specifically 2-1 3-2 fastbreaks.

Would you still want that loosened up a bit if it meant cheesers may be able to exploit it more if it is ?

So IF we got them to slow the ai reaction down are you okay with what that could mean in the wrong hands ?

Please keep this on topic as far as the this specific passing issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
bls
MVP

bls's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Passing in the paint ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
Men and bretheren i have read about the difficulty of making passing intothe paint. Specifically 2-1 3-2 fastbreaks.

Would you still want that loosened up a bit if it meant cheesers may be able to exploit it more if it is ?

So IF we got them to slow the ai reaction down are you okay with what that could mean in the wrong hands ?

Please keep this on topic as far as the this specific passing issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What about speeding the passing up? Is that an option?
Old 10-24-2011, 12:56 PM   #3
MVP

KyotoCarl's Arena

OVR: 26

I believe it's fine as it is. Most of the time you push the ball up in the middle on a 3-1 fast break and you pass to late, i.e. when you're at the 3 point line. When playing basketball you always get taught to pass the ball ahead at the start of the break, that way you have the ball on the left or right side of the court and and the original ballhandler come as a trailer in the middle.

This strategy works in 2K12 too and it makes it easier to capitalize on the fast break. I think most people (me included) push the ball up in the middle and make the final pass to late, letting the defensive man cover more space in the paint when the pass is made.

I guess my point is, most people who have found it hard to pass on a fastbreak don't play the fastbreak in the most efficient way, which leads to turnovers.

My thoughts on how replays should be handled:
http://www.operationsports.com/Kyoto...plays-replays/
Old 10-24-2011, 01:00 PM   #4
MVP

Po Pimp's Arena

OVR: 15

The way I see it, cheesers will find a way to cheese regardless. However, I feel like the cheesing won't be as rampant as in prior versions due to the defense being stronger. It brings a smile to my face whenever I play against the CPU, and they block my shot, take charges or even pull the chair out on me.

Personally, I haven't had much of an issue with the passing other than doing the wrong type of pass (i.e. lobbing when I wanted to bounce pass in the post)..

Last edited by Po Pimp; 10-24-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:01 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

I would prefer if something is done about passing on the fastbreak.

I can live with the way passing in the paint works and love that jump-passing has basically been taken out of the game (because let's be serious anyone who's played basketball knows that jump-passing is a no-no)...

In future iterations of the game some sort of shovel pass animation while in the paint would be nice that way a big can pass to another wide open big when the situation calls for it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2011, 01:07 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyotoCarl
I believe it's fine as it is. Most of the time you push the ball up in the middle on a 3-1 fast break and you pass to late, i.e. when you're at the 3 point line. When playing basketball you always get taught to pass the ball ahead at the start of the break, that way you have the ball on the left or right side of the court and and the original ballhandler come as a trailer in the middle.

This strategy works in 2K12 too and it makes it easier to capitalize on the fast break. I think most people (me included) push the ball up in the middle and make the final pass to late, letting the defensive man cover more space in the paint when the pass is made.

I guess my point is, most people who have found it hard to pass on a fastbreak don't play the fastbreak in the most efficient way, which leads to turnovers.
This. Also take into affect who is passing and whom he is passing too? What are the coaching sliders (fastbreak) set at? Basically what I am saying is that alot of people are not taking all of the factors involved into account.

Just let me say that (for example): I don't have a problem running the fastbreak with the Warriors, Suns or Nuggets. But when I try and run that offense with Philly, I don't do as well, and then if I play with the Memphis, I can get a 'good' fastbreak here and there (because of Conley, OJ, Gay) but not consistently because that's not their game in real life and that should apply to all teams in the game.

You will get a couple good fastbreaks with almost all of the teams, its just knowing when to apply it and when to throttle back to get into a half court set or take advantage of a mismatch because of the quick push.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:11 PM   #7
MVP

Po Pimp's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chia51
This. Also take into affect who is passing and whom he is passing too? What are the coaching sliders (fastbreak) set at? Basically what I am saying is that alot of people are not taking all of the factors involved into account.

Just let me say that (for example): I don't have a problem running the fastbreak with the Warriors, Suns or Nuggets. But when I try and run that offense with Philly, I don't do as well, and then if I play with the Memphis, I can get a 'good' fastbreak here and there (because of Conley, OJ, Gay) but not consistently because that's not their game in real life and that should apply to all teams in the game.

You will get a couple good fastbreaks with almost all of the teams, its just knowing when to apply it and when to throttle back to get into a half court set or take advantage of a mismatch because of the quick push.
I agree with the logic of what you're saying...but Philly actually has a pretty high fast break slider if I'm not mistaken, not to mention athletic wings in Iggy and Thadeus Young and a good young PG in Holiday, so I can't understand how you can be unsuccessful running the break with Philly.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:11 PM   #8
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26

2 on 1 should be a higher success rate. It's hard to claim cheese in a situation that should be successful more than 75 % of the time. The way to calm fast break cheese is calm down the pokes with more reach in calls. Less fast breaks that shouldn't have been there any way. I'm not talking about guy dribbling out of control steals, I'm talking about the times you are turning back an forth trying to call a play but the a hole on the other end pounds steal without any fear of a reach, the ball gets knocked out too much leading to too many fast breaks. Slow down the amount of fast breaks, not their effectiveness.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »