Home

Passing in the paint ?

This is a discussion on Passing in the paint ? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 10-24-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 21
Re: Passing in the paint ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Po Pimp
I agree with the logic of what you're saying...but Philly actually has a pretty high fast break slider if I'm not mistaken, not to mention athletic wings in Iggy and Thadeus Young and a good young PG in Holiday, so I can't understand how you can be unsuccessful running the break with Philly.
Thats another issue, but I agree.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:17 PM   #10
MVP

blues rocker's Arena

OVR: 14

i don't really have a problem with the fast break passing...it's the passing in general that bothers me (and yet that does include passing into the paint in certain situations)

below is a quote from what i wrote in another thread regarding the passing:
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...passing-3.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
the passing is one of my biggest issues with the game...as others have already said, the pass logic is off - many times your player just throws the wrong type of pass for the situation...like someone said earlier, it feels like your player is always throwing the ball right into a defender rather than lobbing it higher to get over the defender or doing a bounce pass around the defender..

on top of the pass types often being inappropriate, compared to 2k11 the pass animations have a more delayed response and the animations themselves are slower (the player often stops, plants his feet and slowly turns his body before passing, rather than doing a quick moving pass like you could do in 2k11) and once the pass is thrown, the ball often travels in a slow, "floaty" manner, rather than being a quick, "snappy" motion.

these issues were not there in 2k11...2k11 had the most fluid, responsive, and satisfying passes i've experience in a basketball game, so that is why 2k12 feels so much more frustrating in comparison.

i think another part of the problem is that 2k increased the defenders' ability to tip passes into the paint, but they failed to improve the passers' pass logic to balance it out...so last year you could throw a low overhead pass right over a defender and he wouldn't swat it down...now in 2k12 the defender can swat it down, but the passer still throws the same stupid pass as last year...instead, they needed to improve the pass logic as well so the passer can lob the ball higher over the defender or use a bounce pass to go around the defender...they just plain failed to improve on the pass logic, but they increased the defense...so the balance is way more in favor of the defense this year, as the passers just aren't given proper animations.

i have also noticed that when you pass to a moving player, he often stops before catching the pass, this allows his defender to catch up to him by the time he receives the ball..it seemed like in 2k11 players were better at moving "into the ball" so that they would be lead as far from the defender as possible as they received the pass. in 2k11 they would kind of keep moving as they caught the pass, rather than stopping before the pass was thrown to them.

so basically, in 2k12 the CPU's defense was bumped up a lot, while the passing got worse...hence the frustration trying to get openings in this game.

Last edited by blues rocker; 10-24-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:20 PM   #11
Pro

OVR: 17

I finish the fastbreak 80% of the time or more so I don't really see any problems with the way it is now. Sometimes I pass it sometimes I finish it with the ballhandler either way success rate is really high for me.

Also good players online have a high success rate so my answer is no. There has to be a chance to stop it, even if it's a slim one. Hampering the D would make the fastbreak even more attractive and there are people on ranked with 40 points of FB as it is. (5 min quarters)

“I never thought I’d lead the NBA in rebounding, but I got a lot of help from my team-mates – they did a lot of missing.”-Moses Malone
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2011, 01:21 PM   #12
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
2 on 1 should be a higher success rate. It's hard to claim cheese in a situation that should be successful more than 75 % of the time.
Good point but I need you to think like a developer here an inside pass is an inside pass wether it tajes place onthe fastbreak or halfcourt. Any adjustment effects all passes into the paint. LOL this why I am asking.

Development is the efficient management of tradeoff's LOL.

For the question of can you speed up passes. The short answer is not without messing something else up. It is a delicate balance with multiple factors you don't wanna do that in a patch situation. Believe me! LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B
Old 10-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #13
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
i don't really have a problem with the fast break passing...it's the passing in general that bothers me.

below is a quote from what i wrote in another thread regarding the passing:
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...passing-3.html
The scope of that argument is too big for what I am talking about here brother blues. I want to concentrate on this one aspect here as it will effect how I word my feedback on this one issue.

Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B
Old 10-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #14
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Then may I ask...what is ths going to change or mess up if people want you to loosen up the passing?
Old 10-24-2011, 01:25 PM   #15
bls
MVP

bls's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
Good point but I need you to think like a developer here an inside pass is an inside pass wether it tajes place onthe fastbreak or halfcourt. Any adjustment effects all passes into the paint. LOL this why I am asking.

Development is the efficient management of tradeoff's LOL.

For the question of can you speed up passes. The short answer is not without messing something else up. It is a delicate balance with multiple factors you don't wanna do that in a patch situation. Believe me! LOL

I see, well can they atleast get it back to the speed of 2k11???? It's extremely difficult to break down a zone when you have a guy wide open and pass it to them but the user can get to the open guy before the ball does. Doesn't make any sense whatsoever and defeats the point of fundamental basketball.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2011, 01:25 PM   #16
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
Men and bretheren i have read about the difficulty of making passing intothe paint. Specifically 2-1 3-2 fastbreaks.

Would you still want that loosened up a bit if it meant cheesers may be able to exploit it more if it is ?

So IF we got them to slow the ai reaction down are you okay with what that could mean in the wrong hands ?

Please keep this on topic as far as the this specific passing issue.

The defense shuldn't be dumbed down. The passing should be more effective from passers with high Pass ratings.

Example, I'm running a break with Chris Paul and Ariza is trailing. If I drop a pass off with Paul, then it should be a beautiful pass to a near perfect location. The timing of when I press the pass button should only impact where that location is (leading/trailing/chest/bounce/etc), not whether the pass is thrown right at a defender and deflected or not.

If you run in this game with elite passers it simply doesn't make much of a difference IMO. The passing AI needs to do a better job of differentiating passing ability.

I also have a problem with the lack of transition animations from dribbles and drives into passes within the paint. Dribble drives lead to passes all of the time from guards, but I don't see those kind of creative passes executed in the paint in 2K12. Instead there are over the head, bounce passes, or some out-of-place "fancy" passes that get attempted while in the paint. It looks bad for one, but it also turns any dribble penetration into either a drive and score or drive and kick in most situations.

EDIT/NOTE: Although I'm not a fan of dumbing down defense, the reaction time on passes that are clearly out of line-of-sight needs to be reduced across the board. Guys have eyes in the back of their heads to react to certain well timed passes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »