Home

2k17 Offensive AI/ Freelance wishlist

This is a discussion on 2k17 Offensive AI/ Freelance wishlist within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 03-03-2016, 01:18 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: 2k17 Offensive AI/ Freelance wishlist

Have players like draymond green,tobias harris,jabari parker,giannis and josh smith push the ball during a break after grabbing the defensive board

inbound alley oop dunk/tip in plays

have ai run pick and pop plays for players that can shoot
Old 03-03-2016, 01:23 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 3

- When I ISO on a wing I hate that if there is a player in the corner he clears by going behind me for some odd reason effin up spacing and allowing a switch on my mismatch instead of going down the baseline.

- bigs often drift too far on pick and pops and mess up spacing or take themselves out of range.

- Off-Ball screens arent "effective" enough in plays. I put effective in quotation marks because in the NBA players get creative with screens that technically makes them illegal, but thats how players get open. They slide at the last second to ensure they impede progress, elongate contact, bend a bit to widen your angle of recovery.

- I dont think pressure-release actions like backdoors, and ball reversals trigger fast enough when im denying and playing passing lanes. Just as I feel off-ball shooters dont counter my over-play quick enough..

- when there are two on the shooter off a down screen, he rarely hits the screener quickly.

- The weak-side actions of the Flex freelance are too slow to initiate IMO.

- In the Princeton Chin freelance when initiated from the top and passed to the center the players get jumbled, dont arrange crisply, and dont run off the down screens with any urgency.

- The fact that EVERYONE runs to the paint and clumps together in transition has got to end. its a legacy issue. something of this nature should be the default.

And shooters should spot up in transition; hands out and ready.

Last edited by 2_headedmonster; 03-03-2016 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:27 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 1

have ai utilize dump off bounce passes for trailing players on the fastbreak

have ai sometimes post up,kickout and then repost

more emphasis on teams that run plays from the high post esspecially for bigs like paul gasol and marc gasol

hand-off plays where big-men would hand-off then box out or block defender so there is room for a shot by a smaller player

have a walk the ball up the court/fastbreak tendency for user/cpu for teams that are known to slow things down

have ai utilize rolling inbounds pass sometimes
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2016, 03:11 PM   #12
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61
2k17 Offensive AI/ Freelance wishlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_headedmonster
- When I ISO on a wing I hate that if there is a player in the corner he clears by going behind me for some odd reason effin up spacing and allowing a switch on my mismatch instead of going down the baseline.

- bigs often drift too far on pick and pops and mess up spacing or take themselves out of range.

- Off-Ball screens arent "effective" enough in plays. I put effective in quotation marks because in the NBA players get creative with screens that technically makes them illegal, but thats how players get open. They slide at the last second to ensure they impede progress, elongate contact, bend a bit to widen your angle of recovery.

- I dont think pressure-release actions like backdoors, and ball reversals trigger fast enough when im denying and playing passing lanes. Just as I feel off-ball shooters dont counter my over-play quick enough..

- when there are two on the shooter off a down screen, he rarely hits the screener quickly.

- The weak-side actions of the Flex freelance are too slow to initiate IMO.

- In the Princeton Chin freelance when initiated from the top and passed to the center the players get jumbled, dont arrange crisply, and dont run off the down screens with any urgency.

- The fact that EVERYONE runs to the paint and clumps together in transition has got to end. its a legacy issue. something of this nature should be the default.

And shooters should spot up in transition; hands out and ready.

I need to know what freelance you are running when you see this to be able to find the solution. As far as the iso from wing and corner guy takes the wrong route.
Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B
Old 03-03-2016, 04:11 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

The biggest change I'd like to see on offense is being able to use voice commands (Kinect, PS4 Camera, headset mics) to call set plays, quick actions, change freelances, and change points of emphasis more easily instead of having to take your thumbs off the joysticks and fumble around on the dpad and the bumpers.

Say "Quick 23" or "Horns 42" and the game runs that specific play.

Say "Curry Isolation" and everybody gets out of Curry's way.

Say "Jefferson Post Up" and Big Al goes to the nearest block.

Say "Space the Floor" or "Motion Cuts" to switch between freelance styles.

Say "Princeton" or "Flow" to switch between freelance offenses.

Say "Limit Transition" or "Shoot at Will" to switch between points of emphasis.

I think that would help cut out a lot of wasted possessions on offense since it would be easier to get into whatever you want to run on that trip down the court. Right now you have to stop moving for 3 to 5 seconds whenever you want to run something or change an offensive setting depending on how deep in the menus you have to go to confirm that action. And in a league with a 24-second shot clock every second on offense is crucial.

There are already some basic voice commands in the game to call plays but it won't let you pick a specific play, only choose from a generic category (three point, post, pick, etc.). And you can call for quick isolations and post ups, but right now the game will just pick a player for you instead of being able to call out a specific player by last name. If I have a guard like Kobe or a forward like Carmelo who can post up I'd like to be able to take advantage of those matchups instead of always having the same big man go down to the block.

Last edited by jyoung; 03-03-2016 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:58 PM   #14
MVP

heelphreak's Arena

OVR: 6

Voice commands for freelance would be sick! I waste a lot of time in those menus
Old 03-04-2016, 04:19 AM   #15
NBA Ratings Wizard

OVR: 14

- Further late-game AI coaching improvements. While there's been some improvement from years past, it still feels like the AI lacks the 'will to win'. As an historic roster creator, I watch a LOT of CPU-CPU matchups, and very few of them are closely contested, I've maybe only seen one overtime game so far this year. The AI makes lousy decisions when it comes to shooting the three vs going for the easy layup for two, milking the clock vs going for the two-for-one. A few times, I've seen the scenario where a team is down by two with a few seconds left, and the AI ball handler will dribble the ball to try to get a lane ad nauseum before finally hoisting a lousy contested midrange shot. That's just not good basketball, most coaches have end-game scenarios that they've run in practice, and most will go for the three to win it rather than go for the tie. Also, in extreme blowouts, it feels like the AI coaches won't pull their starters to put in their scrub units until the very last minute of the game, rather than having early garbage time to conserve their starters like we see sometimes in the real league.

- Expose more freelance options in the roster creator interface. I am just as ecstatic and grateful as anyone at the work you put in, Czar, to keep teams feeling fresh, current, and true-to-form. Although, as a roster guy, it would be nice if some if not all of the freelance options are exposed for us to edit which ones that a team runs with. If I'm creating the Linsanity Knicks, I don't want them running a triangle offense. If I'm putting together a mid-2000's Spurs team (can we get one in the game already?), they shouldn't be swinging the ball around as much as the modern day Spurs do.

- Improve the point guard play from superstars. I'm still stuck trying to figure out what makes AI Curry and Lillard tick. Their mindset seems to be when they catch the ball in the triple threat, they dribble around like maniacs to find a lane, then if nothing happens in a few seconds, they'll look to make an impossible pass to a cutter, then they'll look for their shot. It's always in that priority order it seems, dribble-pass-shoot, dribble-pass-shoot. No matter how skewed I make the tendencies, it never seems to affect that mindset. It's why it took so long for many of us roster guys to figure out how to get those two guys to play more like themselves.

- More smart transition offense, please. I've rarely ever seen the AI run a transition play where they have the numbers advantage. Usually it's one guy sprinting off a steal which he'll take all the way to the hoop if he can, but if he gets cut off by a defender, he'll run to the baseline and stop the play or take a weird angled baseline fadeaway. Never a 2-on-1 or 3-on-2 scenario, and never a secondary break. The first time I see the AI actually throw an alley-oop in transition, I think I'll wake the neighbors from screaming so loud.

Sonicmage NBA 2K18 Ratings 2017-18 season
Link to Ratings 1996-2017
Link to Ratings 1973-1996
Link to Ratings All-time

Discussion found here
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2016, 04:49 AM   #16
MVP

DatIsraeliGuy's Arena

OVR: 0

That's why I love Da_Czar in 2k lol.

My #1 Wish for Freelance Offense is being able to select a specific one as a DEFAULT. So if I'm playing MyLeague/MyGM/MyTeam, I want to be able to choose a freelance offense as the one I start with in each game, rather than having it reset every game and waste valuable seconds of a possession on changing it. This also applies to the options "Motion Cuts/Freelance Action/Space the Floor".

P.S. Another nice feature will be letting us change freelance offense on defense, so if I want to quickly change it, I can even do it when my opponent is shooting free throws.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »