Home

Need help with my 2K difficulty conundrum

This is a discussion on Need help with my 2K difficulty conundrum within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 12-06-2023, 09:36 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Need help with my 2K difficulty conundrum

My issue: I play this game on Pro bc it's the only mode where I feel like I can get clean looks. But I'm winning every game by like 30-40+. In old 2K's I could play on Superstar and get slightly more competitive games. But this year if I go on all star the defense gets way too tight and while I could probably still win games comfortably, it takes the fun out of game bc A. I can only hit 3's if I'm wide open and B. step backs and etc. are a no go.

My problem with using sliders: For the most part, my biggest issue is I just can't find a set of sliders that are somewhat simple. Every set of sliders I have looked at wants to change to real shooting % for shooting and/or free throws (I have tried it in the past - it's another thing that just takes the fun out of the game for me). Other sliders call for having certain camera settings (I like playing on broadcast or whatever the one from the side is) or running plays. Again, I just don't have a super fun experience running plays. I like to use my playmakers and take guys off the dribble. It gives me 4 basic options: 1. get to the basket and finish, 2. get to the basket and kick it to the open shooters, 3. dribble move, step back (or to the side) and shoot, and 4. pass it around and take somewhat contested shot/feed the post and go from there. That's just how I enjoy running the offense.

So in conclusion, I'm really just looking for all the help and suggestions I can get. I like playing this game somewhat casually, which is why I run the offense the way I do. I'm just looking for more competitive games against the computer for MyNBA or at least a variety of them. I'm considering editing the sliders from all star/superstar or even HOF just for the defense so the CPU is more of a threat to score. Bc most games I'm probably scoring 120-140 on Pro, which may be a little high, but I'm OK with it bc of the feel of how offense works compared to higher difficulties. I'd just like the other team to play me more competitively. I'd really like suggestions for things I can try given all the info I included. I'm open to even trying slider sets if I don't have to really change the way I play the game. And honestly I've tried that in the past, I just don't enjoy myself at that point.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2023, 10:53 AM   #2
Rookie

m29a's Arena

Re: Need help with my 2K difficulty conundrum

I feel the same as you in terms of how I like to play. I like a challenge, but I also like freedom of choice in playing how I want to play and not having to do certain things over and over just to get the win.

The simplest solution is to either play on Pro sliders with the AI/CPU shooting increased or play on the higher difficulties with the AI/CPU defense decreased. Play games and further tune to your liking.

Edit: I'd lean towards custom Pro. In my experience the defensive sliders don't make as big of a difference as I'd expect in terms of physicality/psychic reactions, and I think (not 100% sure) that higher difficulties especially SS/HOF make timing more strict. So if you are happy with your offensive performance on Pro, then you just need to make AI/CPU shots go in more frequently. Years ago the AI used to play with "full logic" only on higher difficulties, but I recall they adjusted it previously so that all levels the AI plays with full capability -- it just depends on the shooting sliders.

No need to follow some extended slider set that changes many things.

Last edited by m29a; 12-07-2023 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-07-2023, 11:58 AM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by m29a
I feel the same as you in terms of how I like to play. I like a challenge, but I also like freedom of choice in playing how I want to play and not having to do certain things over and over just to get the win.

The simplest solution is to either play on Pro sliders with the AI/CPU shooting increased or play on the higher difficulties with the AI/CPU defense decreased. Play games and further tune to your liking.

No need to follow some extended slider set that changes many things.
Spot on. It'd be nice if someone could share specific sliders that would be conducive to that. I've never messed around with the sliders on my own so it's hard for me to really know what to try.
Old 12-07-2023, 02:50 PM   #4
MVP

howardphillips214's Arena

All-star is where I've been most of the year but this last patch I've kicked it up to Superstar and I play My career only so I don't get sliders.

Currently up 10 on the Thunder 3 minutes into the 2nd. I'd probably be up by 15-20 if I was on All-star. Defense seems a little Chucky on Superstar. Not as bad as it was pre-patch but it's like they're hand checking out here. Even when my shooters are coming off screens the D recovers a lot better than AS.

I was also blowing out teams by 30-40 every game, often up by that much by halftime so it's just a longevity thing. Now that I can get whatever I want on offense I need to challenge myself to play better D.
Old 12-08-2023, 08:09 AM   #5
Pro

vetmin's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRyan
Spot on. It'd be nice if someone could share specific sliders that would be conducive to that. I've never messed around with the sliders on my own so it's hard for me to really know what to try.
I can't give you 2K24-specific guidance, but generally speaking it's always a good idea to try mixing and matching slider settings from different difficulties. For instance, if you're playing Pro and like how it feels for you on offense, then don't touch any of the CPU's defensive sliders, but try changing the CPU offensive sliders to what they are for the CPU on higher difficulties. I've sometimes had good results simply using 'all-User Pro' or 'all user-Superstar' (in other words, edit the CPU's sliders so that they're identical to the user's in both cases).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2023, 10:08 AM   #6
MVP

tc020791's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRyan
My issue: I play this game on Pro bc it's the only mode where I feel like I can get clean looks. But I'm winning every game by like 30-40+. In old 2K's I could play on Superstar and get slightly more competitive games. But this year if I go on all star the defense gets way too tight and while I could probably still win games comfortably, it takes the fun out of game bc A. I can only hit 3's if I'm wide open and B. step backs and etc. are a no go.

My problem with using sliders: For the most part, my biggest issue is I just can't find a set of sliders that are somewhat simple. Every set of sliders I have looked at wants to change to real shooting % for shooting and/or free throws (I have tried it in the past - it's another thing that just takes the fun out of the game for me). Other sliders call for having certain camera settings (I like playing on broadcast or whatever the one from the side is) or running plays. Again, I just don't have a super fun experience running plays. I like to use my playmakers and take guys off the dribble. It gives me 4 basic options: 1. get to the basket and finish, 2. get to the basket and kick it to the open shooters, 3. dribble move, step back (or to the side) and shoot, and 4. pass it around and take somewhat contested shot/feed the post and go from there. That's just how I enjoy running the offense.

So in conclusion, I'm really just looking for all the help and suggestions I can get. I like playing this game somewhat casually, which is why I run the offense the way I do. I'm just looking for more competitive games against the computer for MyNBA or at least a variety of them. I'm considering editing the sliders from all star/superstar or even HOF just for the defense so the CPU is more of a threat to score. Bc most games I'm probably scoring 120-140 on Pro, which may be a little high, but I'm OK with it bc of the feel of how offense works compared to higher difficulties. I'd just like the other team to play me more competitively. I'd really like suggestions for things I can try given all the info I included. I'm open to even trying slider sets if I don't have to really change the way I play the game. And honestly I've tried that in the past, I just don't enjoy myself at that point.

Try just matching your shot success sliders with the CPU and they will probably put up more points without making the game feel much different. For example, I believe user shot success sliders are at 54 for user on Pro, make the CPU’s 54 as well.
Old 12-08-2023, 04:05 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc020791
Try just matching your shot success sliders with the CPU and they will probably put up more points without making the game feel much different. For example, I believe user shot success sliders are at 54 for user on Pro, make the CPU’s 54 as well.
What I am testing right now is pro default but USER defense superstar sliders and CPU offense superstar sliders

I swear CPU defense is tighter on me too. Idk what is causing it but I'm having a harder time offensively.

Last edited by TexasRyan; 12-08-2023 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-09-2023, 09:13 AM   #8
Rookie

KTBFFH's Arena

So a little quirk about the defense sliders in 2K since they removed the “sim” and “arcade” options. The user and CPU defense sliders are swapped. Eccentric Meat did a whole thread about this several years ago. I think it can be found in the sliders subforum or by searching. These sliders also SIGNIFICANTLY impact fouls.

I played on all star last year but find the CPU defense overpowered this year. The Schnaidt1/SGN sliders are pretty decent this year but they are made for Real FG %. Most of the slider makers say that user timing is over powered but I haven’t found that to be the case since around 2k20. Mike Wang seems to regularly change the shot timing mechanics with every daily update and the green zone moves around depending on the defense anyway.

The defense impact and shot timing impact sliders are very weird sliders. They can have a dramatic impact in both directions and are difficult to balance.

Good luck with finding the right “sim” balance. 2K’s gameplay is all over the place every year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »