Home

Equipment Frustration

This is a discussion on Equipment Frustration within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 05-03-2024, 04:43 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Equipment Frustration

I’m annoyed how we’re stuck with a “standard” (traditional) catcher’s mask from 1983. Where’s the standard Nike mask? Where’s the standard Wilson mask?

Otherwise my complaints are largely about color-blocking, yeah. The fact they broke Logo Color 2 on like 80% of equipment four years ago and never fixed it tells the tale of where we’re at on this tbh.

Turtlenecks should function the same as long sleeves, as an aside. If they’re not gonna add those scarfs and balaclavas guys wear, at least bust out the turtlenecks when it’s 35 or below or whatever.
Old 05-03-2024, 01:36 PM   #18
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by desouza7
The Nike/Jordan elbow guard thing was really a Nike decision. The companies give over the retail version of equipment to show off what’s available for people playing the game to buy in real life. The extended elbow guard isn’t available for retail and is a pro stock only piece of equipment. SDS has to go with what the companies provide so that is the reason they took it out.

This is also why some equipment isn’t in game (i.e. older cleat styles that players still currently wear).

The color blocking issue I don’t understand since I don’t see how that would be provided or blocked by the retail vs pro stock issue since retail items have multiple color types.
Im confused by your logic. I get what you're saying in the sense that SDS can only put the nike cleats in that they receive from Nike. That doesn't explain why they removed last years equipment. So the nikes that were in last year and this year... that means Nike resent them the same cleat?
Old 05-03-2024, 01:40 PM   #19
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Purist
That’s still baffling to me as the show is an MLB licensed simulation game. Anything that is worn in the MLB, should be available in the show in my opinion. I also then wonder how 2k can still have all of the shoes(Nike for ex) that players haven’t worn in decades. Some that are not currently available for retail.
To me, its obvious there outdated platform has some form of memory issue. I doubt nike would say, "at all times, you can only have 4 different types of cleats. And make sure you never removethe Griffeys that came out 4 years ago" lol

Highly doubt every brand to include UA, Nike, Adidas, NB says for SDS y'all can only have 3 pairs of our newest cleats BUTTTT NBA 2k... ya'll can use every shoe we've ever created lol
Old 05-03-2024, 04:28 PM   #20
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by djflock
Im confused by your logic. I get what you're saying in the sense that SDS can only put the nike cleats in that they receive from Nike. That doesn't explain why they removed last years equipment. So the nikes that were in last year and this year... that means Nike resent them the same cleat?
Yes. They say “these are the cleats we’re pushing for retail this year” and SDS has to update accordingly. I want to say part of it could also be to save memory on the SDS side, but we just saw a bunch of new adidas cleats get added while keeping in the old ones rather than replacing them. Also towards the end of TS23, all of the Nike cleats got updated to the new models that had just come out (i.e. Trout 9). That doesn’t get done without a sign off from Nike.

At the end of the day it’s a marketing opportunity for these companies so they want to push the new items that they want to sell. Especially in baseball since unlike basketball, cleat culture isn’t really a thing so the old cleats aren’t usually available once they move to the next year.
Old 05-06-2024, 08:23 PM   #21
MVP

JaFFiTh's Arena

OVR: 7
Equipment Frustration

I’ll add to the list.

They need to add powder blue color to their equipment as there are lots of players using that color full time not while just wearing their powder blue uniforms (jays, royals, rays and I’m sure there’s more). The light blue in the game doesn’t work.

Also add 4th color option for catchers leg protector for the straps like they do for the chest so it doesn’t attach to the trim color.

Also it’s amazing how they could just skip the errors with shoes and gloves as I’m sure their own roster makers are frustrated.. no way they would let it slide. But again equipment aren’t their priority it seems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by JaFFiTh; 05-06-2024 at 08:27 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-07-2024, 11:12 AM   #22
MVP

decga's Arena

OVR: 12

There's reason that we're not privy too! All sports are different! MLB is not as popular as NFL or NBA. We all here are huge fans of the MLB brand of baseball. There must be legal issues with these items. I just push on it, pissed off for sure!
Old 05-07-2024, 03:00 PM   #23
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by desouza7
Yes. They say “these are the cleats we’re pushing for retail this year” and SDS has to update accordingly. I want to say part of it could also be to save memory on the SDS side, but we just saw a bunch of new adidas cleats get added while keeping in the old ones rather than replacing them. Also towards the end of TS23, all of the Nike cleats got updated to the new models that had just come out (i.e. Trout 9). That doesn’t get done without a sign off from Nike.

At the end of the day it’s a marketing opportunity for these companies so they want to push the new items that they want to sell. Especially in baseball since unlike basketball, cleat culture isn’t really a thing so the old cleats aren’t usually available once they move to the next year.
This logic can't be true lol They don't "push" their "new" cleats because they're consistently a year behind adding them in the game. You also didn't answer for them "pushing" the Griffey cleats that you haven't been able to purchase for years.

Also, the low top nike cleats are the most popular and most worn. They are NOT in the game. I guess nike doesn't want people buying the low tops version?

Im also to assume that every single show company messes up their color blocking on their own shoes as well...

It's obvious SDS lost pride in anything involved with equipment. NOTHING is accurate. I don't think there is a simple color blocking that is correct on any shoe.

Last edited by djflock; 05-07-2024 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-07-2024, 06:33 PM   #24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by djflock
This logic can't be true lol They don't "push" their "new" cleats because they're consistently a year behind adding them in the game. You also didn't answer for them "pushing" the Griffey cleats that you haven't been able to purchase for years.

Also, the low top nike cleats are the most popular and most worn. They are NOT in the game. I guess nike doesn't want people buying the low tops version?

Im also to assume that every single show company messes up their color blocking on their own shoes as well...

It's obvious SDS lost pride in anything involved with equipment. NOTHING is accurate. I don't think there is a simple color blocking that is correct on any shoe.
If you don’t want to believe it, that’s fine. But this is how these marketing departments work as told to me from someone who worked in sports marketing at NB and dealt a little with 2K. They view it as another way to market their products to their customers. They technically aren’t a year behind because every year they update the cleats to match the latest release when they debut for the baseball season in the late fall/early winter. And it’s based on retail date, not when the pro stock items are released. So you may see them for the pros mid-to-late season, but they aren’t released to the public until later.

I do agree that the decision to not put the low Huarache may be on SDS since they usually only put one model in (except the Jordan 1 which has mid, low, and metal). But yet again, they have to get sign off and approval to put any of these things in the game.

Also the Griffey 2 cleat is the one you are talking about? It came out last year and was sold for retail for the ASG in Seattle. (https://sneakerbardetroit.com/nike-a...ne-dz4637-001/)

Like I said the color blocking is the only part that doesn’t make sense to me since that’s in SDS control (other than something like the Griffey 2 where it was re-sold as a one off design). It’s definitely an oversight and one that they clearly aren’t looking to fix anytime soon since it’s been this way for years.

EDIT: one more thing I’d like to note is that I completely agree with you that SDS should include more. I’d be interested to see what their relationship is like with the brands because it would be nice to have some older cleats they still sell on the game. I doubt we’ll get that kind of clarity unless someone knows who at SDS handles this kind of stuff.

Last edited by desouza7; 05-07-2024 at 06:49 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »