Home

Help Me Choose a Franchise Team (Official Thread)

This is a discussion on Help Me Choose a Franchise Team (Official Thread) within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-22-2024, 04:53 PM   #65
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Help Me Choose a Franchise Team (Official Thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmzey
If you're in it for the long haul, the White Sox are likely getting a new stadium in 2029/2030 in the south loop with a city skyline view. Initial Renderings for a proposal look amazing, I bet there's one in the Stadium Creator. I was actually thinking about using them myself for that reason.
Great choice, for a guy like me who loves rebuilds. Too bad I dislike them so much.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2024, 04:56 PM   #66
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Of The Year
Plus, the Marlins were a wildcard last year, but they arent a lock IRL this year or in MLBTS24 , but they can certainly at least make a run on the wildcard in 24.
And Jazz Chisholm has it covered both ways, still a potentential star or a potential Shooty Babbitt.
Quote:
I would say go for the Tigers. It’s a team I’ve been thinking about playing with myself. They have a really nice young core of hitters to build around in Greene, Torkelson, Carpenter and Keith. Plus have atleast two top 30 prospects in Max Clark (OF) and Jackson Jobe (P). You will definitely need to bolster the starting pitching through free agency and trades. I also think they have great jerseys. Very clean and simplistic, definitely a more old school style. The ballpark is nothing too special but it’s also not bad either. A few unique touches for sure.
Thanks for the replies! I think I will go with the Marlins. Not the biggest fan of their stadium but it's not too bad. I love their uniform options the more I look at them. Might even look at Miami Vice redesign. Also a team in a really weird state that overperformed and is not built for sustained success, could take notes from their state rivals. I also like that there's a lot of flexibility and tough choices with players nearing arbitration, who sticks around, who doesn't from Jazz, Arraez, Luzardo, etc. Some potential budding stars in Perez and Burger. A lot of room to add my own prospects and fix the farm system. Seems like a really unique team that will be a lot of fun!
Old 04-22-2024, 05:01 PM   #67
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

Quote:
Thanks for the replies! I think I will go with the Marlins. Not the biggest fan of their stadium but it's not too bad. I love their uniform options the more I look at them. Might even look at Miami Vice redesign. Also a team in a really weird state that overperformed and is not built for sustained success, could take notes from their state rivals. I also like that there's a lot of flexibility and tough choices with players nearing arbitration, who sticks around, who doesn't from Jazz, Arraez, Luzardo, etc. Some potential budding stars in Perez and Burger. A lot of room to add my own prospects and fix the farm system. Seems like a really unique team that will be a lot of fun!
Its a good choice, I am running a Miami rebuild franchise.
Old 04-23-2024, 05:39 AM   #68
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

Quote:
The stadium is at least playable now that they took that monstrosity of a art sculpture out of centerfield. Its been gone seven years but I still have nightmare flashbacks when I take the Mets there for a series.
#44Syracuse
Old 04-23-2024, 11:33 AM   #69
Rookie

Cyrus09's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcar0725
NATIONALS
WHITE SOX
PIRATES

As said above, you'd really have to play some games in their stadiums to see if you like it.
100%
In theory I love the Cubs stadium for example. But seeing that huge jumbotron all the time is so weird, especially if the players only have the CAP face instead of a picture. Takes me out of the game completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus09
Watching a team on the daily basis and playing them on The Show is hard sometimes. Normally I am all for creating your own reality in sports games, but watching Vlad and Bo burning down parks around the country with their hot bats in the game and then see them strike out in a important at-bat looking at the same pitch 3 times is a bit too much.

So yesterday I decided to put my focus on the real life Jays, while searching for my The Show fix in another team.

It was clear that I would not pick a team in the Jays division, even though the Sox would be an interesting option.

I looked at the Marlins and the alternative reality for them with a healthy rotation would be nice, but I don't see myself getting attached to anyone in that lineup. I had hope for the Mets, because I love the park, the jerseys and Senga, but the lineup didn't click there as well.
The Royals have basically everything I would look for in a team, but their last World Series wasn't that long ago.

So after flipping through the teams for soild 20 minutes yesterday I found a team I think I can work with:

- without injuries good pitching
- troubled history
- international talent across the lineup
- some promising prospects with impact in the game in the near future
- competetive division without a big player

So I started to manage the Cleveland I.. Guardians.

First 3 games ended up being a rollercoaster, which you would not neccessary expect against the As.

- We start with a 1-2 loss in Oakland. The As ended up with just 4 hits, but Zack Gelof hit a 2 run homer in the first inning. Cleveland ended up with 7 guys stranded on base
- then we got a bit of revenge in a 6-4 win. This time both teams produced double digit hits, but a 3-0 9th inning sealed the deal for the Guadians. The As closer ended up with the deserved loss there. Jose Ramirez scored his first home run of the season
- the third game saw the debut of Center Fielder George Valera, who ended up hitless but still got on base because he was one of 4(!) players that got hit by a pitch. All 4 by Mason Miller in a span of 3 innings, which earned him the L in Clevelands 8-4 win. Again Cleveland scored big with 4 runs in the 9th inning, only answered by an inside the park home run by Ryan Noda. Jose Ramirez homered again with 3RBI, Josh Naylor did the same.

I still have to figure the timing out for some of the guys, but I am confident. And another difference to my Blue Jays save: I don't care enough for the guys to not make trades and I can see my strike a deal in a couple weeks. Which reminds me that we really need a trade thread again, because I need some names I could boost my infield with.
After this post in the franchise thread I am sadly back at 0, because for some reason the Guardians can't keep my attention as well. Another thing I realized that turns me off on some teams is weirdly when a lot of people here play with them. The Reds for example I should like in theory, but then there is DarthRambo with his dope updates.

I'm starting to worry that I not end up really playing the game, but always look for a save to really grab me. Which is tough, because I really love playing the game.
Old 04-23-2024, 11:53 AM   #70
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

Quote:
100%
In theory I love the Cubs stadium for example. But seeing that huge jumbotron all the time is so weird, especially if the players only have the CAP face instead of a picture. Takes me out of the game completely.

After this post in the franchise thread I am sadly back at 0, because for some reason the Guardians can't keep my attention as well. Another thing I realized that turns me off on some teams is weirdly when a lot of people here play with them. The Reds for example I should like in theory, but then there is DarthRambo with his dope updates.

I'm starting to worry that I not end up really playing the game, but always look for a save to really grab me. Which is tough, because I really love playing the game.
Its not that uncommon. I am a huge Guardians fan and I tried to do a franchise with them this year, but their early success in real life has me more into watching them, then actually playing a franchise with them, because I need a good STORY LINE to make it more fun. If the team is already good, then its not a good story and I get bored.
Old 04-23-2024, 11:57 AM   #71
Rookie

Cyrus09's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcar0725
Its not that uncommon. I am a huge Guardians fan and I tried to do a franchise with them this year, but their early success in real life has me more into watching them, then actually playing a franchise with them, because I need a good STORY LINE to make it more fun. If the team is already good, then its not a good story and I get bored.
That is a great point. It's the real life success, or success in the near past, or even in the season before. Another example right now are the Royals. Very interesting roster, but the last WS was so close and now they look great again. That really is not grabbing me the way the same roster would do in Seattle for example.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2024, 12:00 PM   #72
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

Quote:
That is a great point. It's the real life success, or success in the near past, or even in the season before. Another example right now are the Royals. Very interesting roster, but the last WS was so close and now they look great again. That really is not grabbing me the way the same roster would do in Seattle for example.
Yeah that's why I didn't go with the nationals. Success wasn't that long ago. Colorado is a good story. Cincy, Oakland, White Sox are a good story. WS because they are a mess. I'm rolling with Miami right now because to me it's a good story because they're a disaster. I'm coming in as the savior. LoL

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »