Home

MLB The Show 24 Impressions Thread

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 24 Impressions Thread within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 04-08-2024, 12:35 PM   #425
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: MLB The Show 24 Impressions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannybeingManny
I’ve always been intrigued by dynamic difficulty. I’d be concerned it would be always moving in a direction that I would win. Perhaps that’s not the case. Maybe you could PM me your experience?
It’s a game impression and it may help others so I will post here.

If you start to dominate and smack the crap out of the pitcher or strike everyone out… difficulty will
Go up. I find it a good way to balance the game and find out what level you truly should be at. For example if you start at HOF but get better at the game you may not necessarily notice, but the game will and will adjust.

On default settings it’s fine and not like you’re going to strike out 3 times in a row and have the game plunge you down to rookie. It’s cumulative. And you can also adjust how slowly/quickly you move up and down levels. As noted I’ve found I mostly just go between 2 to 3 levels tops. That being said I started at veteran for hitting while I got used to things again but as I got better it went up and has now settled.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2024, 11:09 AM   #426
Pro

mattynokes's Arena

OVR: 16

For starters, I did not play MLB 23, so my impressions are coming from after playing MLB 22 (in case anything was already in MLB 23).

I love the defensive experience. In my past versions, I always found it difficult to get infield defense vs baserunner speed realistic. It seemed unless you were an absolute speed demon (say 90+), then almost any slow infield grounder was still an easy out. Now those choppers are almost rarely a double play and with no one on, is a realistic close play at first (depending on the player's speed).

I'm also loving how the outfielders hit their cutoff man more often, instead of hopelessly throwing it through to home on a guaranteed tag-up/advance and score (which naturally allows runners on base to move up). It's great to see some thought behind when it's worth it to try to throw the runner out vs concede the run and hold the other runners from moving up a base.
Old 04-20-2024, 03:32 PM   #427
MVP

NYJin2011tm's Arena

OVR: 0

Just got the game and I’ve only played a game and a half but does anyone thinks foul balls are extremely too high? Just seemed excessive compared to past years.

Me hitting vs Verlander I forced him to throw 40+ pitches in the first inning primary because of fouls.

Last edited by NYJin2011tm; 04-20-2024 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-20-2024, 04:38 PM   #428
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJin2011tm
Just got the game and I’ve only played a game and a half but does anyone thinks foul balls are extremely too high? Just seemed excessive compared to past years.

Me hitting vs Verlander I forced him to throw 40+ pitches in the first inning primary because of fouls.
I have not seen that fouls are excessive. Could be a lot of factors like what difficulty you're on and what type of hitting are you using. Also it's only a game and a half played. The game evens itself out over time.
Old 04-20-2024, 07:23 PM   #429
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:

Agree 100%...when I'm pitching it's not uncommon to have a 10-12 pitch sequence to the cpu to where they will foul of pretty much anything, this has happened multiple times a game as well.

I have witnessed it a few times hitting as well, but not as much as when I'm pitching.

I'm using bryanm's HOF sliders, and directional hitting with meter pitching.
“I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest – If you can’t take it, you shouldn’t play!” Jack Lambert
Quote:
“Quarterbacks should wear dresses.” Jack Lambert
Old 04-20-2024, 09:27 PM   #430
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:

What difficulty/hitting type/swing type are you using? I find there are a decent amount of fouls, but playing on legend, I don’t see anything over the top. Last year there were too many Ks so I think some more foul balls is to balance it back out if anything.
Old 04-22-2024, 11:43 AM   #431
Pro

mattynokes's Arena

OVR: 16

At default (5 CPU Foul Balls) I think there are too many foul balls, however...

Personally, I have CPU Foul Balls at 3 (Human at 4) on Hall of Fame. As stated, I think there's a lot of variables - What's the hitter's Contact and Vision? What's the pitcher's H/9 and K/9? What pitches are being thrown? Do either have any applicable Quirks?

I get pretty varied count results. Sometimes the CPU is going after the first or second pitch. Other times they seem to be waiting for their pitch. Other times they seem to continually be fouling off good pitches and I wind up with a 10-12 pitch at-bat. Just the other day I had an 18-pitch at-bat. Naturally, I almost took my pitcher out before that at-bat, but thought "Na. He can go a few more pitches and get the third out."

So, impressions? Yeah, having the CPU continue to spoil pitches and make an 0-2 count into a double-digit at-bat is quite frustrating, but that's baseball and it adds to the realism of varied results.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2024, 08:02 AM   #432
MVP

Hammerhunker's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattynokes
At default (5 CPU Foul Balls) I think there are too many foul balls, however...

Personally, I have CPU Foul Balls at 3 (Human at 4) on Hall of Fame. As stated, I think there's a lot of variables - What's the hitter's Contact and Vision? What's the pitcher's H/9 and K/9? What pitches are being thrown? Do either have any applicable Quirks?

I get pretty varied count results. Sometimes the CPU is going after the first or second pitch. Other times they seem to be waiting for their pitch. Other times they seem to continually be fouling off good pitches and I wind up with a 10-12 pitch at-bat. Just the other day I had an 18-pitch at-bat. Naturally, I almost took my pitcher out before that at-bat, but thought "Na. He can go a few more pitches and get the third out."

So, impressions? Yeah, having the CPU continue to spoil pitches and make an 0-2 count into a double-digit at-bat is quite frustrating, but that's baseball and it adds to the realism of varied results.
More specifically, IMO, is "that's MLB the Show Baseball." I get quite peeved at these super-human at-bats. If it is 0-2, 1-2, I will really waste the pitch hoping to take them out of their zone, or whatever it is. Sometimes that works, but again, that's just baseball in that variety.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »